Hughesnet Community

Anyone else notice the false advertising?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KaylobD09
Freshman

Anyone else notice the false advertising?

Happened to stop by the Hughes Net website and when I logged it, I got a prompt that said my account had been updated with unlimited data. No more data caps it told me. **bleep** I almost jumped for joy. That was, until I read the fine print, where it mentions that once you exceed your data plan, your speed gets throttled. Now, first complaint: that's a data limit. Second complaint: THAT'S HOW MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN FROM DAY ONE!!! Nothing was upgraded, nothing was changed. That's literally the way it has always been. So how can they tell me my account was "upgraded" when literally nothing changed?

18 REPLIES 18
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@KaylobD09

No.  The data is unlimited.  What's throttled is your speed after utilizing a certain amount of that data, with that being your plan data.   

To answer your second question, it's a new part of their adverstising, and for existing customers it's more geared toward those Gen4 users who did not have Smart Browsing enabled plans.  

It is limited. Say you reach your 50 gb data plan, plus the bonus data, but then you're throttled to 1 Mb/s for the rest of the month. If you then download continuously for the reminder of the month (which is unreasonable), you can use a maximum of 2.7 Tb of data for the month. 

That is a limit. Define "unlimited?"

GabeU

@Hughesnet_sucks

Going by that thinking there is no unlimited service in existence, and there never can be, as no one can ever download an infinite amount of data.    

But, when considering the real world, HughesNet is unlimited.  You aren't cut off when you've exhausted your allotment of high speed data.  

Correct, there is no unlimited service in existence. Any ISP claiming that is lying.

Hughesnet is one of those ISPs.

GabeU

@jcmipi wrote:

Correct, there is no unlimited service in existence. Any ISP claiming that is lying.

Hughesnet is one of those ISPs.

Semantics nonsense.  HughesNet is an unlimited service.  You aren't cut off when you run out of your allotment of high speed data.  

You're cut off from virtually everything but a few websites and maybe your email. I have to deal with semantic nonsense because that's what your company does. Though quite frequently the speeds provided are about the same throttled as they are before you run out of data. A frighteningly fast 0.8 Mbps

GabeU

@jcmipi wrote:

You're cut off from virtually everything but a few websites and maybe your email. I have to deal with semantic nonsense because that's what your company does. Though quite frequently the speeds provided are about the same throttled as they are before you run out of data. A frighteningly fast 0.8 Mbps

No, you're not.  Your speed is throttled during FAP, nothing more.  You're not cut off from any websites or services, though the speed you're throttled to may not be enough for some services to work properly.  

The bottom line...don't run out of your high speed data allotment.  

@GabeU wrote:

Your speed is throttled during FAP, nothing more.  You're not cut off from any websites or services, though the speed you're throttled to may not be enough for some services to work properly.  

Semantic nonsense.

GabeU

@jcmipi

No, that's reality.  You might want to look up the difference.  

Yes, it's technically correct. The best kind of correct.

I have to agree with the OP on the claim of unlimited data being widely misused. In our case, once we hit the normal data 'limit' and connection is still available but 'throttled' it should be referred to as unusable or unsuitable for use. Once we reach the throttled data status, we often cannot even connect to our Hughesnet account. This evening it took 20 min. and multiple connection attempts to be able to add a bonus token.

Btw, we have no other devices connected because they are unusable once this status is reached. Throttled I could handle, 20 min. to possibly reach a text only page to purchase more data is not reasonable and I can't see this being justified as 'unlimited'

GabeU

@prsrcokr

Your issue sounds like something else is going on, as FAP speed is generally enough to do just about anything people normally do on the net, save for streaming, which may or may not work correctly, depending on speed and definition.  

If you would like to troubleshoot the issue, please start a new topic in the Tech Support section, which you can do here... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

@jcmipi wrote:

Here's the irony in that. One of the websites I have the most trouble with loading once my data limit has been reach is HughesNet's website.

Here's the problem though. What the message said was, "No more data caps." Throttling speed after reaching a certain amount of data is, in fact, a data cap. It's a clear and blatant lie.

And the comment you made about simply not using all of your data? Like, do you even use the internet for anything other than trying and failing to defend this crooked company here? Do you know how much data streaming uses. I am not fortunate enough to be able to afford satellie TV services since they all like to triple their prices after a year. And cable is not an option (hence I have this **bleep**ty ISP). Gaming is my hobby, and I want to make a career out of it. Should I just abandon my hobby and give up on my dreams because of my internet?

Here's another deceptive practice I noticed about Hughes after I signed up. For the first 3-4 days I had service, I ran daily speed tests and checked my data usage. My speeds were over 50Mbps. I was dowloading large files and streaming Netflix all day long those days. My data usage registered at about 1GB used the whole time. Suddenly, around the 5th day, my data was gone and my speed came to a halt. Now, you could chalk that up to the website just not updating my usage yet. Except it has literally never done that since. Every time I check my data two or more days in a row, my usage is always up to date. And that still doesn't explain why my speeds were over 50Mbps for the first few days. If you ask me, I'd say they do that on purpose to make you think they're a reliable ISP so you'll recommend them.

GabeU

@KaylobD09

Throttling speed is NOT a data cap.  Throttling speed is just that...throttling speed.  It's not cutting the service off, nor restricting the amount someone can download.  The data cap is on your full speed data, and when that is exhausted your speed is throttled, but you are not cut off, hence no data cap.  Nor is the statement that there is no data cap a blatant lie, as there isn't one.  

In addition, when a person signs up for the service, they choose a plan based on the amount of full speed data, and it is explained in the same sales call that the speed of the service is throttled when that full speed data is exhausted, but the service is not cut off.  

When it comes to streaming, or anything else done utilizing the internet, it's up to the customer to know what data is and to know what can and can't be done with the full speed data in their plan, and what can and can't be done when the service is throttled after that full speed data allotment is exhausted. 

As for being able to do a lot of streaming in the beginning, during the first twenty days of your service you are in a relaxed bandwidth state, which means your data allotment is frequently reset.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy.  It's done so that devices can be updated/upgraded to current without it affecting what would be your normal monthly full speed data allotment.  After those twenty days the frequent resets stop and the data usage is counted like normal.  The data resets are explained in the Welcome email sent by HughesNet.  

Your hobby and your career aspirations are not HughesNet's responsibility.  If gaming, and a future in that area, are very important to you, you have to do what you have to do to pursue that endeavor, just like anyone else.  If it's a serious pursuit you probably have to move to an area that has ground based internet service.   

HughesNet provides internet service where others can't or won't.  HughesNet is not made for cord cutting and has never claimed to be the equivalent of ground based internet services, nor has it claimed to offer the same capabilities.  When a consumer purchases a product or a service they need to understand what they are buying, and they need to research that product before they do so.        

steveinva
New Poster

yes the support people also lie they say that it's your fault why you have so many device on your LAN. Well these days there are 100's of devices connected to you LAN Like home security, Wireless Cams .e.t.c. And they're trying to tell you to disconnect all these devices every night(BS). No other provider tells you to do such a thing. So your security systems would be down the most important times of the evening when mot breakins occur. Who get the promissed 30Gig per secend per second like promised? Do a speed test during primetime. from 9am to 12am the next day I get if I'm lucky .64 to 5Gig per second not the gaurnteed   30Gig. Their problem is they have too many customers uploading to the satellite too much data for Hugesnets download links to handle. Well don't listen to any of their (BS) your contract was promised you 30GIG all the time anytime and they are not delivering what they promised. Their support people are in the Philapines to save money but it also degrades the integrades the quality of their Company. You can't understand them because of their accent and their knowledge of networking are pretype page with answers that have nothing to do with your problem. If Huges doesn't understand that they need more download network links and that 30Gig per month is NO way enough data for even a home of 2. You keep pulling your 10baseT's out every day you will surely break your connectors.

The fact is, the more devices on your lan, the slower your lan will be because the router is just splitting bandwidth across devices. You're also adding to the demand on the spot beam, which is akin to a much larger router as far as the satellite is concerned, making everyone else slower as well.

I'm not condoning what the support person said about removing such things regularly, but this is just how satellite internet works.

And no, they don't promise 30G all the time, anytime... nobody does. They promise 'up to' 25Gbps.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@steveinva wrote:

yes the support people also lie they say that it's your fault why you have so many device on your LAN. Well these days there are 100's of devices connected to you LAN Like home security, Wireless Cams .e.t.c. And they're trying to tell you to disconnect all these devices every night(BS). No other provider tells you to do such a thing. So your security systems would be down the most important times of the evening when mot breakins occur. Who get the promissed 30Gig per secend per second like promised? Do a speed test during primetime. from 9am to 12am the next day I get if I'm lucky .64 to 5Gig per second not the gaurnteed   30Gig. Their problem is they have too many customers uploading to the satellite too much data for Hugesnets download links to handle. Well don't listen to any of their (BS) your contract was promised you 30GIG all the time anytime and they are not delivering what they promised. Their support people are in the Philapines to save money but it also degrades the integrades the quality of their Company. You can't understand them because of their accent and their knowledge of networking are pretype page with answers that have nothing to do with your problem. If Huges doesn't understand that they need more download network links and that 30Gig per month is NO way enough data for even a home of 2. You keep pulling your 10baseT's out every day you will surely break your connectors.

Well, if someone has 100's of devices connected at the same time trying to use the Internet at the same time I believe even 50 Mbps fiber would not do well.

I think you meant .64 to 5 Mbps in the speed you're getting.

And they don't guarantee 30 GB speed, that is your monthly data allowance.

Seems you are mixing up speed and data allowance. Speed has always been advertised in Mbps and data plans are in GB.

Highest speed they advertise is 25 Mbps, and it is not guaranteed, it is "up to".

They are aware of some users having speed issues.