Hughesnet Community

Cancel Service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Herndonhome

Cancel Service

I want to cancel my service with HughesNet. I have been a customer since June 2020. Problems streaming began day one. As a matter of fact the technician came back 15 minutes after installing because we were having problems streaming. I have been on the phone with customer support more times than I can count. Every time I call for help I am on the phone for at least an hour resetting things from my end, being told that something was configured wrong but now the problem is fixed. It never is. For every time that I have called there are dozens and dozens of times that I haven’t felt like dealing with it so I just don’t bother. My husband is a teacher and needs to be able to attend zoom meetings and teach virtually. He has had to go to public places to utilize their Wi-Fi in order to do his job. This semester it looks like he will be needing to work remotely much more due to the increased cases at the school where he teaches. At one point I was told that I would not be charged a cancellation fee if they could not fix the problem and to state that I wanted my case escalated to advanced, whatever that means. Whenever I have said that, I’ve been walked through the same steps over and over, and can’t just terminate without a fee. I don’t have the time or energy to deal with this anymore. I would rather not have Internet than pay for something that I cannot use. We even hardwired our television to the router and that didn’t help at all. This is the worst service I have ever had. We lived on a remote island in the Aleutian chain of Alaska for a year and they were able to supply us with reliable Internet. And yet I have been told because I live 3 miles north of town I am too remote for any better quality of service.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292. You may have to pay an early termination fee if you're still under contract. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To avoid equipment charges, you will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292. You may have to pay an early termination fee if you're still under contract. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To avoid equipment charges, you will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.

They don't listen. I canceled service about 9 months or so ago and wanted boxes to send Gen 5 back as requested. To this date have not heard back from them and they are still charging my account $140.00 per month even though the equipment has not been hooked up since then I cancelled as I had lost my home due to Covid. So they are after the almighty $$$.
GabeU

@Sonny_Cress 

If you didn't receive your equipment return kit and you're still being charged your service was not terminated.  When you call to terminate your service you get a service termination case number and, shortly after, a confirmation email.  

To cancel your service you need to call 866-347-3292.

Onorip
New Poster

FWIW, I feel your pain. HughesNet is better than no internet service at all, but not by much and it’s almost criminal what they charge for such a clearly substandard product. Performance is so bad (and obviously not just us) we barely notice a difference when they throttle back our service (usually after a few days and without streaming a thing!). As soon as folks have an alternative, they will bail; we sure will. Teachers have it especially tough right now so thank your husband for us.
GabeU

@Onorip 

The only time HughesNet throttles service is when you run out of plan data.  That's it.  That doesn't mean system load doesn't affect your speed, whether at your beam, your gateway or with the entire system, but at no other time than running out of data is your service throttled  

If you're running out of data and need some tips to help prevent it, I suggest reading the following two posts...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...