FRUSTRATED with customer service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graftonj101
Freshman

FRUSTRATED with customer service

I have tried and tried contacting your "customer service" through emails and phone calls. The emails never address my issues and when I call for help I get someone in the Philipines who can barely speak English and is NEVER any help. I have also tried online chat and it NEVER works.

I am OVER it and about to cancel my service and look for a new one.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME??????

18 REPLIES 18
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@graftonj101

This is a support community, so you've come to the right place. 

What is the issue you're experiencing and with which you need help?  

I have been over charged $20 one month, it shows me using data even when my computer is shut down and I am out of the country, my service is in and out all the time....satellite, I can understand that, but when it's clear, sunny and no wind?

the service is VERY slow, so bad that I can't tell when my monthy allowence has been used up.....no difference

I was also told by email that I would get a call back to help me out, but NOTHING. I was also told they would give me a better deal, but when I called customer support all they offered was to upgrade me, charge me more money and sign another two year contract

I pay $71.00 a month now and when I checked the same service option they only charge $49.00?????

I have NEVER got a good answer, or help from anyone......my case number is 113455227

GabeU

@graftonj101

Regarding your billing, that's something a rep will have to help you with.  But, with that said, keep in mind that, if you lease, you pay an additional $14.99 per month as a lease fee.  Also, if you receive a paper bill, that's another $5 per month.  Plus, there are state and local taxes that you may pay.  If the price on your base package is $20 more than it originally was, it may be that a promotional offer has expired.  Again, though, the reps will help you with your billing questions/issues and let you know exactly what's going on.   

Regarding the data usage, many things can use data, even when they are seemingly off, as they may actually be in standby, and still connected.  As long as the modem is powered, anything that had previously been connected through WiFi may still be connecting and still using data.  And certain devices, like satellite TV receivers, can use a LOT of data, even when they are turned off, as again, they're actually in standby, and there is no way to control that data usage.  This is the major reason why HughesNet recommends against connecting a satellite TV receiver, especially DirecTV's, to HughesNet.  I'm not saying you have one connected, nor any other specific items connected.  I'm only giving possibilities of what may be using data without you knowing it's happening.  The following two posts (the first post in each thread) may be of help...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

Regarding service interruptions, if they're occasional and don't last long, it's very possible that the interruptions are due to weather at your gateway, which is in a different state than you.  Weather at your gateway can affect your service in the same way as weather at your own location, so even when it's clear where you are weather can still affect your service.  But, if it's more than just an occasional disruption it could indicate something else going on, which the reps will need to determine.  They can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, so make sure to leave your modem plugged in if you don't normally do so, as it has to be plugged in for them to be able to run said remote diagnostics.  

Regarding speed issues, there are speed tests that are normally requested to be run to help to not only establish that there is a problem, but also help to point to what could be causing it.  However, with there being possible connection issues I wouldn't recommend that you run them until it's either determined that there is no equipment issue, or it's determined that there is, but the issue is fixed.   

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it can take them a day or two to reply.  The will reply, though.  Normally billing questions are asked to be posted in the "My Account & Billing" section, but the may answer those questions here.  They'll also determine the next step to take regarding the connection and speed issues, which may also be related to each other.  They'll know for sure.  

@Liz

@Amanda

Thanks GabeU,

Regarding billing.....My bill has ALWAYS been $71.00 every month, with the exception of a promotion which lasted 3 months, THEN I was over billed for $91.00.

As for the data usage when I was in China. Everything was shut off and there was no power what so ever to my computer, modem or anything else except for a couple inside lights....This happened twice and I was still charged for data usage.

I also completely understand that satallite internet is the most unreliable service out there and outages happen. It's unavoidable. But it's my only option because of where I live. I am just very frustrated by the lack of customer service I have received and the fact that I pay $71.00 for the second lowest sevice you provide. It reminds me of the old dial-up service I had 20 years ago!

GabeU, I really do appreciate your help and all the work you put into explaining things, but to be honest, I know if I call that same number and get another person in the Philippines, I will only get the same answers as before and NO help.....THAT is the most frustrating part of all this and I am really over it

GabeU

@graftonj101

A question regarding your data usage.  Were you checking your data usage remotely, like from your phone?  The reason I ask this is that, if the modem is unplugged and your monthly data reset happens while it's unplugged, the data won't show as refilled until a few minutes after the modem is plugged back in.  In this scenario, if you look at it with the HughesNet mobile app, the data would still show as the same as it was when the modem was unplugged and, again, wouldn't reset/refill until the modem was plugged back in. 

I'm only trying to figure out how your data could have been used, or at least appear to have been used, as without the modem plugged in it's impossible for the data to be used or disappear.  It's modem dependant.   You'll still be charged your monthly fee, though, regardless of whether any data is/was used.  Keep in mind, too, that you can suspend your service if you're going to be gone for any extended length of time.  You'll still have to pay any taxes and lease fees (if leasing the equipment), but not the monthly plan fee.  I only throw this out there in case you aren't aware of that option.    

Regarding calling, now that you're working with a rep I wouldn't bother calling the tech support number unless you have to (if you can't get online).  Help through here is, in my opinion, far and above what the phone help can offer.  Plus, the reps you'll work with through here are corporate reps based in the US, and who have direct access to the engineers.  

BTW, just so there's no confusion, I'm a fellow customer.  I don't work for, and I'm not in any way affiliated with, HughesNet (other than being a customer).  

I hope you can get everything straightened out, including the apparent service issue.  🙂  

I never checked on it while out of the country, had no way to do it and I have no Apps on my phone to do it

And what about getting a better deal on my service?? I HONESTLY feel that $71.00 a month for this type of service is outragous!!!

And I also see that new customers are now getting the same service for $49 a month??

GabeU

@graftonj101

Regarding the data usage, there are only two possibilities.  The first is devices still connecting to a live (plugged in) modem and using data without the customer knowing.  The second is plugging the modem in after it's been unplugged for a while and seeing the data readings that were from the point that the modem was unplugged due to the modem not having caught back up yet.  The modem catching back up and displaying the current data readings, whether still in the same data cycle or in a new one, shouldn't take more than a minute or two.  These are the only two ways.  Either the data appears to be used because it was without the customer's knowledge, or because the modem hasn't caught back up yet after being unplugged for a period of time.  Data absolutely cannot be used, nor deducted, if the modem is not powered.  

The only other possibility is that something used data immediately after your modem was plugged back in and one or more of your devices connected and you saw that data usage after it happened, mistakenly assuming it was data that was deducted while your modem was off.  Depending on your service speed, a device, or devices, could use multiple GBs in a relatively small amount of time.  

Regarding the price, new customers often get an introductory offer.  This is done with many different services and companies.  Still, a price of $49.99 doesn't include the $14.99 lease fee, nor any state and local taxes.  Sans taxes or anything else that's still $64.98.   

Hopefully @Hal will respond, or perhaps PM you if something happened with the PM you sent in order to explain your billing.  

@Hal

Hello Graftonj101, your patience and understanding are much appreciated. After reviewing your account, I was able to determine the differences in your billing. For security reasons, I would like to continue this conversation in private. Please private message me through the community, and I will gladly help explain the bill and your speeds in more detail. 

Thank you Hal, I have sent you a PM

Hal, Can I PLEASE get a responce from you? I sent a PM over a week ago and nothing

I have the same exact problems. And I get the same old lines they are giving you. Every time I call they say the same things over. I almost have it memorized. worst service I have ever had

maratsade

If it's the worst service you've ever had, why don't you go with someone else? It's a free country.  You could also try to learn to live with the limitations of satellite internet.  

WE DO live with the linits of satelite internet, WE HAVE NO CHOICE....THE problem is CUSTOMER SERVICE....UNDERSTAND???

GabeU

@graftonj101

Did Hal end up getting in touch with you through PM since you posted on Friday?  

maratsade

If your use of all caps is an indication, I understand you may be angry.  No one can help that but yourself.

WE DO live with the linits of satelite internet, WE HAVE NO CHOICE....THE problem is CUSTOMER SERVICE....UNDERSTAND???

How are your comments any help? If you are not here to try and help, please keep your comments to yourself

kc9fxq
New Poster

They will charge you $400 to cancel service. I want to cancel mine also.

GabeU

@kc9fxq wrote:

They will charge you $400 to cancel service. I want to cancel mine also.

The ETF starts at $400 and goes down.

If you'd like help please start a new topic in the appropriate section for your issue.