Hughesnet Community

Is cancellation fee waived when moving out of service area?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hvanhise

Is cancellation fee waived when moving out of service area?

I will be moving to a new home with much faster internet where Hughes net does not service. Is cancellation fee waived when moving out of service area before contract is up? All other internet companies I have had before waive the fee when moving to a non service area.
29 REPLIES 29
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hughesnet can usually provide service anywhere in the country unless the landlord has rules that prohibit a dish being installed.  I would say yes, if service can't be used in the location, then they will waive the ETF.  However, remember if service is cancelled, you must return the modem, power brick, and radio on the dish.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

And now, they also want the LAN cable returned.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lol, seriously? Hope it's not a $50 fee for non-return. Returning the cable does seem a bit ridiculous.

I'm sorry but that actually seems like a trap to charge the un-returned equipment fee. Maybe a $3-4 cable max.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Yeah, I thought it was a bit "excessive." I could understand reconditioning and redeploying a modem, radio or power supply. But a used LAN cable?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

But it's a special "Hughesnet Only" LAN cable!   It's like the old Dell PSUs and motherboards, which would only work with themselves and fry anything you tried to use them with that wasn't Dell.  See, use that Hughesnet LAN cable on anything else and you'll pay for it! 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Maybe it incorporates this special speed up technology LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG5cEik2ABY
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Ok funny but not really. Have they seriously gone off the rails? I support them when a logical reason to. I see no logic in asking for the LAN cable to be returned.

Heck, why not start asking for the dish to be returned? It is worth  a lot more than the stupid cable.

It weighs nothing for shipping charges. Really does seem like a small thing to negate returning all the equipment required. Just what it looks like.

Maybe the screws and cable connectors next? What about the grounding block? They last a long time usually. Jeez, bits and pieces could end up being a lot of stuff.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It certainly does seem to be quite ridiculous.  Purchased in bulk, what could they cost?  Probably somewhere between one and two dollars each. 

Next they will be requesting that the twist ties that came with the LAN cable and power pack cable be returned.   

How about the coax? 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday before Liz, Amanda, Chris tells us why this makes any sense. Sure seems like a petty item to require return on the surface. 

Happy New Year all and good night!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

...really?  I would certainly hope that's misinformation, even though the guide I think says to return it.  That's something that can go bad at any time and people will usually throw it out after buying a new one.  I would certainly hope the penny pinchers aren't fussing over a $0.0001 cable.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

...really?  I would certainly hope that's misinformation, even though the guide I think says to return it.  That's something that can go bad at any time and people will usually throw it out after buying a new one.  I would certainly hope the penny pinchers aren't fussing over a $0.0001 cable.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Next they will be requesting that the twist ties that came with the LAN cable and power pack cable be returned.   
I'm saving up a bunch of those, just in case 🙂
Robin S

It's real. That was one of the items that showed up on what to return list for me. I don't know if it's because they kept getting it wrong on the shipping address but I never heard a thing about no lan cable because I didn't send one because the cable was one I bought after theirs failed. 

And that was what? Over three years ago. 
Robin S

It's real. That was one of the items that showed up on what to return list for me. I don't know if it's because they kept getting it wrong on the shipping address but I never heard a thing about no lan cable because I didn't send one because the cable was one I bought after theirs failed. 

And that was what? Over three years ago. 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I'd like to think HN wouldn't bother to make an issue about it if the cable was missing..
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Amanda

What..? I don't think this is a thing... Might be on the instructions, but I am not aware we ask for the LAN cable back. The unreturned equipment fees as in the contract are for the radio, modem and power supply only. 

El Dorado, when and who were you informed of this by?

~Amanda
Amanda

Hello hvanhise,

HughesNet offers a 1 time free relocation anywhere in the United States where we offer coverage. Essentially this is all of the United States and parts of Alaska. If you are moving to an area which is somehow not covered or HughesNet does not have permission to install the equipment on the property by the owner, the early termination fee does apply. There are special circumstances, such as military deployment or post relocation. Please refer to http://legal.hughes.com for more information.

Thank you,
Amanda
Amanda

Confirmed with 2 sources (billing and field ops) that we do not require the LAN cable. It has no serial number and is not scanned in when receiving the equipment. We also do not have a part number for the cable to ship/receive or put a charge to it. It should not be on the instructions either.

If you see otherwise, please send a copy or forward emails, whatever you may have to communitysupport@hughes.com so we can correct this. 

Thanks
Amanda
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

El Dorado, when and who were you informed of this by?
Had convos with two of my (former) customers over the last few months who said  the printed instructions mentioned returning of the LAN cable. Unlikely, but I'll see if I can get a copy.