New customer, Deceived, very disappointed, want to cancel

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uskrusader
New Poster

New customer, Deceived, very disappointed, want to cancel

I ordered HughesNet knowing it would be slower than what I was used to. The sales person warned me that it would not be good for some gaming. I’m not a gamer so I did not care. I told him we do use Netflix quite a bit though, the sales person assured me that Netflix would be no problem. Somehow it was concluded that a 10GB plan would be sufficient. I checked my usage everyday and it seemed to reset everyday. I was confused thinking it must be 10GB/day or something?! The usage % reset to 0% everyday so I thought we were good. Then one day a couple of weeks in all streaming stopped and my usage was 100%. We went several day’s without streaming and finally on the last day of our first month I couldn’t wait anymore and I upgraded to 20GB. Three days after doubling our plan and BARELY streaming anything (less than an hour of MED and LOW def Netflix) we are now at 60% remaining with 27 days left until reset.

The sales guy said Netflix would be no problem, I beg to differ. ....and then I find out about the exorbitant early termination fee. I would never have selected this company had he been open and honest about Netflix and data requirement. We only wanted internet to stream Netflix. Are we trapped?!
6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@uskrusader

During the first twenty days of your HughesNet service your data allotment resets on a regular basis.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy.  They do it to allow users to bring their devices current without it affecting their normal monthly data allotment, as doing so can use a lot of data.  After twenty days the resets stops.  The resets are explained in the Welcome email sent by HughesNet.  

Streaming is a very data intensive activity, especially when done in HD.  Going by Netflix's listed data amounts, streaming in HD uses about 3GB per hour, SD about 700MB per hour, and LD about 350MB per hour.  And that's just the streaming.  Your connected devices will use data, as well, in addition to the data used by anything else you do on the net.

If it's been no more than 90 days since your sales call, you can request a review of said call to determine whether you were misled about the service.  If it's determined that you were, you may have recourse regarding the Early Termination Fee when cancelling the service.  You can request the review here, but when a rep sees this thread they may request the sales call review automatically, so you may not need to ask for it.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  It can take them a day or so to reply, but they're usually pretty quick.  

maratsade

Netflix is not a problem, though some people may experience more difficulties than others, especially during times of congestion (after 5 pm, for instance).   Satellite internet is not the best choice for streaming due to latency (latency cannot be changed), and the latency's much more noticeable when a lot of people are on the beam.

Are you trapped? Not at all.  Pay the early termination fee and you're free as a bird. 

@uskrusader wrote:

The sales guy said Netflix would be no problem, I beg to differ. ....and then I find out about the exorbitant early termination fee. I would never have selected this company had he been open and honest about Netflix and data requirement. We only wanted internet to stream Netflix. Are we trapped?!

I would like the sales call reviewed. I primarily use this for Netflix and I was led to believe that Hughsnet 10GB would be sufficient. .....that is clearly not the case. We have had the service for one month. Thank you.
maratsade

If the sales call is available through Hughesnet, the mods will be able to pull it and review it.  Give them a couple of days at least. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Good morning uskrusader,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We can certainly look into requesting your sales call for review to determine whether the sales rep set the appropriate expectations. I'll post back once I get the results. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi uskrusader,

Good news, we got a very quick turnaround on your sales call review!  Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM with the details.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!