Hughesnet Community

Unethical practices - cancelling service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UnhappyinGA

Unethical practices - cancelling service

called to cancel my service. Waited for return kit. One week later no kit. Called again and was told all is fine- not to worry. Still no return kit. Called three weeks later(third time) and was told I would receive Box after my service was cancelled. I said I called and cancelled my service and wanted rep to confirm my info- when I called the first time and second time. I realized no refund to me for they were running out the clock on a service I didn’t use.was told No box until end of my month. Rep was impossible to deal with located in Philippines. She wouldn’t answer my questions which sent me into a white rage basically . I kept asking the same question and She wouldn’t answer my questions and was trying to “bait” me into agreeing that it’s ok they are charging me for a month in which I had already requested termination. I was told I would not receive a prorated refund several times. I asked for her manager and she said she is who I needed to speak with - kept putting me on hold pretending she was looking for manager. She refused to confirm my information. I was put on hold or hung up on after 45 minutes on phone. I called back - same thing. I was smart enough to record that one. I called back again. If Hughesnet expects paying customers to feel it’s ok to be treated in that regard they are wrong . **bleep** will freeze before I ever give them another dime of my money. I didn’t have a choice before - or so I thought - I do now and my money goes with me to another provider with American customer service and awesome customer service. executives of Hughesnet- u need to pay attention to ur customers - customer service is important- unethical practices- that can sink u in the end. Enjoy the money u stole from me. It will be the last time u do.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hello UnhappyinGA,

Welcome to our HughesNet community and thank you for reaching out to us here. I completely understand why you'd feel frustrated and these calls will definitely be reviewed so we can understand where we can improve. The full process should have been made clear from the first call and it looks like we missed opportunities to explain everything you needed to know.

I've already located your account and reviewed the activity regarding the cancellation dates and return kit status. On February 7th we received a call from you to cancel the service and standard cancellation request was successfully placed during that same call.

A standard cancellation just means that your service will remain active until your next bill date, in your case the 23rd, and on that day two things happen: the service is "shut off" and a return kit would be automatically shipped out to you. Since February is a little tricky, your return kit actually generated yesterday the 20th so it should be reaching you soon to the specific address you requested. This also means that the window to return the equipment started yesterday, so you have plenty of time.

I can confirm that there is a credit on your account of $71.48 that was to be processed as a refund at a later date, but I will have that expedited to be sent to your card on file. These funds will be issued tonight and depending on your bank's posting time, may take a few business days to post. You have been a customer of ours for 10 years and we of course would have loved to have worked something out with you, but if you are enjoying your new service... well that is all anyone can ask for! I hope I was able to answer all of your questions and concerns. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Thank you,

Amanda

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Amanda

Hello UnhappyinGA,

Welcome to our HughesNet community and thank you for reaching out to us here. I completely understand why you'd feel frustrated and these calls will definitely be reviewed so we can understand where we can improve. The full process should have been made clear from the first call and it looks like we missed opportunities to explain everything you needed to know.

I've already located your account and reviewed the activity regarding the cancellation dates and return kit status. On February 7th we received a call from you to cancel the service and standard cancellation request was successfully placed during that same call.

A standard cancellation just means that your service will remain active until your next bill date, in your case the 23rd, and on that day two things happen: the service is "shut off" and a return kit would be automatically shipped out to you. Since February is a little tricky, your return kit actually generated yesterday the 20th so it should be reaching you soon to the specific address you requested. This also means that the window to return the equipment started yesterday, so you have plenty of time.

I can confirm that there is a credit on your account of $71.48 that was to be processed as a refund at a later date, but I will have that expedited to be sent to your card on file. These funds will be issued tonight and depending on your bank's posting time, may take a few business days to post. You have been a customer of ours for 10 years and we of course would have loved to have worked something out with you, but if you are enjoying your new service... well that is all anyone can ask for! I hope I was able to answer all of your questions and concerns. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Thank you,

Amanda

Further unethical business and illegal practice, When someone asks for a return kit they should receive it and not wait a month. It is one thing for a business to behave in an unethical manner but then to come and to admit to unethical and illegal business practice is quite beyond me. I don't know if that woman is allowed to speak on behalf of Hughesnet or not but she should not have stated that they will keep the service connected after being given a cancellation order.  To wait till the next billing cycle is just another way to get more money from the customer. How is the customer going to be using the service when in most cases like me they are no longer living at the service address to use it?

@Virgil2U

Like with most services, you pay a month in advance, so the month was already paid for. Therefore, leaving the account open during the period is extremely ethical and certainly not illegal. It would be unethical to shortchange the customer by turning it off early - what you suggested.

Your assumption is misleading, misinformed, and downright libellous. This seems to be characteristic of many of your previous posts (e.g.: spam). Do you specifically look for things you can provide fictional, accusatory posts such as these? Are you actually trying to get kicked off?

I'd suggest that if you have a personal vendetta to take it up elsewhere. What you're doing is not helpful and certainly not what this forum is designed for.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

There's also the added issue of these disgruntled people placing posts (which invariably are full of misleading and downright incorrect content) in old threads, where they do not fit, help no one,  and do nothing but clutter up the place.  

@MarkJFine wrote:

Like with most services, you pay a month in advance, so the month was already paid for. Therefore, leaving the account open during the period is extremely ethical and certainly not illegal. It would be unethical to shortchange the customer by turning it off early - what you suggested.

Your assumption is misleading, misinformed, and downright libellous. This seems to be characteristic of many of your previous posts (e.g.: spam). Do you specifically look for things you can provide fictional, accusatory posts such as these? Are you actually trying to get kicked off?

I'd suggest that if you have a personal vendetta to take it up elsewhere. What you're doing is not helpful and certainly not what this forum is designed for.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Virgil2U

I suggests you read the part of the Community Guidelines concerning trolling, being that it's all you ever seem to do on here.  

Trolling will not be tolerated.