cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Interesting nuggets from the subscriber contract

13.1 WARRANTY DISCLAIMER.

HUGHES DOES NOT OFFER ANY WARRANTY IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE OR THE SUBSCRIBER EQUIPMENT. THE SERVICE IS MADE AVAILABLE ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. HUGHES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE ERROR-FREE, SECURE, OR UNINTERRUPTED, OR OPERATE AT ANY MINIMUM SPEED. YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE AND THE SUBSCRIBER EQUIPMENT, AND SUCH USE BY ANYONE USING YOUR ACCOUNT, IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. NO ORAL ADVICE OR WRITTEN INFORMATION PROVIDED BY HUGHES, ITS EMPLOYEES, DEALERS, OR THE LIKE SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY.

Also, in section 13.2:

Without limiting the foregoing, Hughes shall not be responsible for: (a) any failure to transmit or store, or for any deletion of, any communication, message, email, or content transmitted through, sent to, or received by the Service or Hughes’ servers; or (b) any modification, suspension, interruption, or discontinuance of the Service.

37 REPLIES 37
GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Jeez, Gabe, that's nuts.  I have kerosene heaters too, and every time I use them I have to disable all the smoke alarms, which ironically work without power.  I have to remove all the batteries and disconnect them from the house, because something in them beeps even without batteries.  Then after the power comes back, I have to reconnect them all again.  It's So.Much.Fun. I'll have to look at the Buddy heaters. 

I have often have to reset the smoke alarm when I shut the kerosene heater down, as it puts out some odor that the smoke detector evidently despises.  While it's running it's fine, though.  

For me, because I have a small house, Buddy heaters would be enough, and they're so much easier, and less stinky, than kerosene heaters.  Don't get me wrong, kerosene heaters are great, and they put out a LOT of heat (too much, in my case), but they're a pain in the rump and stink on shutdown.  😛  

maratsade

I think my smoke alarms react to the heat. They go off a minute or two after the heater's on. But then, there are smoke alarms everywhere here, more than what I think would be reasonable.  The kerosene heaters are awesome (except after turning them off, when the stench is nasty, as you know) and when we were without power for 7 days one winter, they saved us and saved the pipes too. We also run a little indoor kerosene-fueled stove, so we can eat and have some hot water (another fun aspect of living in a rural area is wells....no electricity, no electric pump, no water). So I have a great appreciation for kerosene - it also lasts a very long time.  But I'll be looking into the Buddy heaters, though.  They seem small enough and I wonder if the alarms will ignore them. 

@GabeU wrote:

For me, because I have a small house, Buddy heaters would be enough, and they're so much easier, and less stinky, than kerosene heaters.  Don't get me wrong, kerosene heaters are great, and they put out a LOT of heat (too much, in my case), but they're a pain in the rump and stink on shutdown.  😛  

I'm going to check out the Buddy heaters! Where can I find them? We've been very, very lucky with no outtages since we've lived here (April 2016). But the winter before we moved in, there was a 3 week outtage!!

Thanks @GabeU ! 😀
maratsade

Amazon carries them.

GabeU

@debbie.jean.bro

Regarding the Buddy heaters, in addition to Amazon, as maratsade suggested, many chain hardware stores carry them.  I don't know if you have a Tractor Supply where you live, but they carry them, too.  I think even Walmart might have them.  🙂  

Here's a bit more about them.  The prices on this site are higher than what you'll see in stores.  I'm looking at one of the Big Buddy heaters.  They even make battery powered fans for them.  🙂  

http://www.mrheater.com/product/heaters/buddy-series.html

maratsade

I checked Walmart's site and they do carry them. 

@GabeU wrote:

Regarding the Buddy heaters, in addition to Amazon, as maratsade suggested, many chain hardware stores carry them.  I don't know if you have a Tractor Supply where you live, but they carry them, too.  I think even Walmart might have them.  🙂  

Here's a bit more about them.  The prices on this site are higher than what you'll see in stores.  I'm looking at one of the Big Buddy heaters.  They even make battery powered fans for them.  🙂  

http://www.mrheater.com/product/heaters/buddy-series.html

Hey @GabeU and @maratsade, thanks so much for the great info on the Buddy heaters!! 😀
GabeU

@debbie.jean.bro

You're quite welcome.  🙂 🙂 🙂 

I think I vaguely remember that one because of Gulf II... I think that was supposedly caused by the load being too high on account of being a real hot day, made more complicated by a solar flare that impacted the way the grid switched.

Edit: Almost got it right. Software glitch, not a solar flare.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

OR...it may have been those wascally Wussians.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Edit: Almost got it right. Software glitch, not a solar flare.

@maratsade wrote:

OR...it may have been those wascally Wussians.

Moose and Squirrel...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@Reggie - how do you grow beef?

(sorry couldn't help myself Smiley LOL )

maratsade

Have you heard of seed potatoes?  Works the same way with beef, only it's seed steaks.

@Amanda wrote:

how do you grow beef?

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

@maratsade wrote:

Have you heard of seed potatoes?  Works the same way with beef, only it's seed steaks.

@Amanda wrote:

how do you grow beef?

You have it all wrong. You have to plant the whole cow. Then you get roast & steaks & the best ground beef you will ever taste. LOL

"ground beef" lol

GabeU

"ground" beef  

Y'all are nuts, but I love it!  😛 

maratsade

@Reggie,  see, I'm  not a farmer -- and it shows!   LOL