It's not a great picture, but...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's not a great picture, but...

I was able to catch these beauties in the side yard earlier this evening.  There were four more to the right of the area in the picture, and a slew of them in the woods, as well.  One day, a few years back, I had over a dozen of them on my lawn, with six of them being in the front.  One was so close to the house I could have reached out the window and nearly touched it.  🙂  There are perks to living in the country.  

0205181733d.jpg

70 REPLIES 70
maratsade

That's a great photo, @GabeU.  One of the things I like about living in a rural area is all the animals I can see on the property.  Having been a city dweller all my life, this is quite a treat.

I grew up in Queens and Central NJ and swore I'd only raise kids in a rural area. Except for the technology drain, I love days like this (very common here):

IMG_0174.JPG

And I have no idea why that went sideways.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

This thread highlights what most of this community have in common, living in a rural area, it's true there are many things we don't have or can't access but sometimes sitting in your yard watching the wildlife compensates for not living in the city. The quality of the pictures is not important it's the memories of what you saw last year or the year before, my wifes yearly project is feeding the 30 to 50 "hummers" that visit every year, the memory that pops up on her Facebook page is usually a reminder to her that it's time to put out the feeders. I enjoyed looking at the two pics you guys posted and I would like to add my own.

Deer1.jpgDeer2.jpg

@Jeff_T- Indeed.

Anyone want to even guess what this critter is? Some kind of wild turkey maybe?

IMG_0397.JPG

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Mark, hard to tell from the pic but looks like some kind of big hawk or even falcon to me.

@BirdDog

Very well could be a falcon in the wild.

GabeU

@MarkJFine

That's definitely a hawk or falcon.  Without seeing its wingspan it's hard to tell which.  I'm leaning toward a hawk, but again, it's hard to tell.  Still a nice pic!  

maratsade

A chicken? A cow? (JK, looks like some kind of hawk)

@MarkJFine wrote:

@Jeff_T- Indeed.

Anyone want to even guess what this critter is? Some kind of wild turkey maybe?

IMG_0397.JPG

maratsade

@Jeff_T, wonderful photos!

alfresco
Senior

UbiUbi

The only pic I have is the ubiquitous squirell.

maratsade

I have lots of grey squirrels, and also scads of rabbits. It's quite wonderful to see all of these creatures. 

@alfresco wrote:

UbiUbi

The only pic I have is the ubiquitous squirell.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

When we were stationed in WA...some years back, we lived on base and I very much enjoyed watching the deer cross over our yard and head into the wooded area next to our housing area.

Living out here in the desert boonies...we have a lot of wildlife, some not so 'friendly'.

My son, when he was still at home, took a lot of photographs of our surrounding desert wildlife.

(these were all taken by my son)

18069370491_021916dc13_z.jpg

17868452000_b44f5573cd_z.jpg17869888549_5f61fddba5_z.jpg18243344822_09f99290dc_z.jpg

We also have a pack of coyotes w/ new pups that have take up residency in a large tree right across from my back gate...

Needless to say I'm keeping my little dog indoors for the time being...but it is quite something to hear them howl at night and in the early morning.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

I figured you might all get a good laugh from this photo...

Last year, me and my husband loaded up our travel trailer..dogs in all, and headed out for a week long camping & fishing trip.

I'm not sure who had more fun...my husband, or my dog, Harley...but I can tell you that Harley caught more fish than my husband that night, hahahaha

20170523_195432small.jpg20170523_194207.jpg

maratsade

Go Harley! 

GabeU

And we can't forget Corrosive's favorite of my occasional visitors!  😛 

true.jpg

And now I'm dealing with these....GRRRRRR!  Little buggers bite, too!  

100_0003.JPG100_0005.JPG

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU

Every year, around the late August and September months, we have thousands of tarantula's coming through our yard...it's their yearly migration..the males are seeking out female companionship. Horny little buggers, hahaha...

We don't see too many Ladybugs over this way...

We usually get a rash of ladybugs Aug-Dec during an Indian Summer when it hits around 70. Never this late... early?

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

We usually get a rash of ladybugs Aug-Dec during an Indian Summer when it hits around 70. Never this late... early?

We have quite a problem with these around here.  They make nests in your home and if you don't catch them right away they get out of hand.  These are Japanese lady bugs, too, which are an invasive species.  I hate them. 

Oh, and they apparently woke up during that stretch of warmer weather we had a few weeks ago.  Did I say I hate them?  If not, I hate them.  😛  

Ladybugs don't bother me.

Stinkbugs bother me. They're creepy. sneaky, and attack at any moment.

GabeU

I get stinkbugs once in a while, too.  Usually I just pick them up and throw them out the window or door.  

Those darn lady bugs, though.  I'll be sitting there and all of a sudden my arm will start stinging, only to look down and see one of those buggers biting me.  It's more annoying than painful, but annoying enough.  It's only happened three or four times over the years, but it was enough for me to develop a deep seated hatred for them.  And once a year they swarm.  If I dare to venture outside on the day they do so my house will be covered with hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands, and it's impossible to walk ten feet without having a dozen of them on you.  

They give the good, cute ladybugs a bad name.