Massive outage underway

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Massive outage underway

Several gateways are out on J2, incl. ALB, SDO, SEA maybe more... just in case anyone starts a rant.
Edit: Add BOI and NLV to this.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
49 REPLIES 49
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It was the Jupiter II.

@BirdDog wrote:

So a spacecraft landed in OK? 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Looks like everything's back as of 2am.

In case anyone brings it up, both the 5GHz and 2GHz seemed like they were scrambled afterwards: Devices seemed like they were connected with access, but not fully routed to the internet. Phone still said "LTE" instead of the familiar wifi icon. MacBook also seemed like it was connected, but still couldn't see the modem (gray Usage Meter icon w/exclamation point, etc.). Others might experience the same thing. Rebooting the modem seems to unclog it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

"Just in case anyone starts a rant."

Too late. LOL. It's a bit of a riot.

@MarkJFine wrote:
Several gateways are out on J2, incl. ALB, SDO, SEA maybe more... just in case anyone starts a rant.
Edit: Add BOI and NLV to this.

generalp2

It would be nice if Hughesnet would maintain an SMS list and send me a notification when an outage happens that affects me. Not knowing what was going on and unable to get on the internet at all, I was completely in the dark. I tried calling but they had their ACD set to hang up on any call after 5 minutes (I know that drill from my airline days). After about 4 attempts over 2 hours, I finally gave up and figured out for myself that they had an outage. (I would have gotten to the internet via my phone but I get no bars where I live). If Hughenet is reading this, please text me next time! (I do get texts from my 0-1 AT&T bars occasionally)

@generalp2 

You're responding to a thread regarding an event that's over a year and a half old.

maratsade

You may want to start a new thread with this, instead of posting under such an old one. Your idea is not bad and the company may consider it, or they may provide more information as to why they don't send messages.  

For very big outages, they post information on the first page of this community and also to their social media accounts. 

generalp2 wrote:

It would be nice if Hughesnet would maintain an SMS list and send me a notification when an outage happens that affects me. Not knowing what was going on and unable to get on the internet at all, I was completely in the dark. I tried calling but they had their ACD set to hang up on any call after 5 minutes (I know that drill from my airline days). After about 4 attempts over 2 hours, I finally gave up and figured out for myself that they had an outage. (I would have gotten to the internet via my phone but I get no bars where I live). If Hughenet is reading this, please text me next time! (I do get texts from my 0-1 AT&T bars occasionally)

GabeU

@generalp2 

I wouldn't assume that there is an outage just because you're having an issue getting through to the phone reps.   

When widespread outages happen, they post notifications on the main page of this community.  Even when an outage happens with an entire gateway, or even smaller, a single beam, there tends to be an uptick in tech support posts about connection issues.   

If you'd like help with your issue, please start a new topic in Tech Support.