Hughesnet Community

New Subscriber with a few dumb questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reluttr
Freshman

New Subscriber with a few dumb questions.

Ok so I am aware of how the rules go with the data allowances. Regular speed until I blow through the 20GB cap and then the speeds get throttled.

What I need to know though... are the cap speeds directly scaled to regular speeds or is it just capped at 3mbps?
For example, right now I still have plenty of data but when I run a speedtest I am getting less than 1mbps of speed, I guess because of congestion. When I am in a throttled state, will I still see the same speed as right now or will it actually be scaled down further than it is now?

Now my second question, I stumbled upon the token page on my router's control panel. How do you earn free tokens?

Finally, my last question. What is the best proceedure for equipment during a thunderstorm? I have the modem already plugged into a surge protector, but what is the recommended proceedure to best protect my equipment from damage during a thunderstorm?

13 REPLIES 13
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@reluttr 

Regarding the speed throttling when you're out of data, it can be up to 3Mbps, but it will vary, depending on system load/congestion.  It's not scaled.  For speed testing you should use testmy.net.  If you're speed testing for troubleshooting purposes when you're having speed issues, you should use the protocol in this post.  And, if you're getting speeds of less than 1Mbps while you have plenty of data, it sounds like you are having a speed issue, as that's VERY low.  If that's the norm for you, even just in the evenings, I would start a new topic in Tech Support and post the speed test results as outlined in that testing protocol, as again, your speeds souldn't be that low.  

Regarding free tokens, there aren't ways to earn any.  Sometimes they give free tokens if there is a system issue that negatively impacts customers, as well as when a lot of speed testing is requested by the reps for troubleshooting a speed issue, but in general there are no free data tokens given.  Those with an older legacy plan (daily refill plan) get one free data token per month, so that's part of the reason you see that entry.  

As for the equipment during a thunderstorm, you can never go wrong with just unplugging it.  It's what I do.  Surge protectors can help, but they aren't foolproof, so unplugging it is a good idea.  Actually, mine's always unplugged when I'm not using it, but if I'm using it and a storm rolls in, I unplug it.  

The speed thing so far hasnt been a consistant problem. Ill just randomly run into times of slow speeds, but usually its very snappy, 20+ mbps. So ive just chalked it up to congestion or maybe the weather. Even when its slow its still comperable to what I was getting from Windstream... well before they refused to repair the line and the connection speed went to crap.

The only time its a issue is when I am trying to play a game of Hitman 2 on steam and the connection makes their online DRM thing go crazy and it throws me out of a mission. I'm still not sure whats up with it, even steam looses connection, then as soon as I leave the game it reconnects.

My main worry was that after I ran out of data it would scale down and suddenly have periods it was REALLY bad. lol

Another odd thing I have encountered is that something about the HN connection prevents speedtest.net from working. The website will load, but ill almost always get a latency error, page error, or something before the test starts. Google and HN's speed tests work fine though.

GabeU

@reluttr 

Speedtest gives some HughesNet customers issues.  It does me, too.  I gives me the same latency test error on the occasion that I've tried it.  I solely use testmy.net.  

Regarding the game, I'm not familiar with it, though I am the films.  If it's an online game, it may be that it doesn't get along with the latency inherent to satellite internet, which is very high in comparison to all other internet services.  Turn based games are normally fine, but any games that require real time movement or reactions don't tend to work well with HughesNet, if at all.  

Hopefully the speed issue doesn't get more consistent.   

Regarding the coax question, I'm assuming you edited it out for a reason, so I won't answer it, but if it's something you're thinking of doing I would ask Liz about it in the other thread.  She'd know better whether it's necessary, or if it could even cause issues with doing so.   

The DRM issue is a latency issue, not a speed issue. Each 'ping' takes a minimum of about half a second to up to the satellite, over to the ground station, out the terrestrial internet to the destination server, then all the way back. They take even longer for secure connections (which I'm sure this is) due to the extra packet and processing overhead, it's very likely that DRM checks are timing out.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
LoriS
New Poster

This is the worst service I have EVER had - that includes dial up back in the 90’s!
maratsade

LoriS ranted:
This is the worst service I have EVER had - that includes dial up back in the 90’s!

• Dialup, huh? What are your speeds?  I bet they're much faster than dialup.  Post your results from Testmy.net and we shall see. 
  • And you may not know this, but you can cancel the service at any time; there's a penalty to break the contract (as there is with many providers), but you can pay it and be gone. 
  • If you would like to do more than just rant and throw a tantrum, this site can help you make the best of your system.  A tantrum won't improve your service, no matter how much you yell and threaten to hold your breath. 
  • When you're ready to act proactively, create a new ticket under Tech Support and detail your issues calmly.  
  • If you would like to throw tantrums and post nonsense, try other sites, as this one is for tech and account support. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

I see my reply is not listed here. The answer to your first bullet is: 422 kbps to 1.29 mbps

I can not get tech support on the phone. I have called enough times that Zi had to go on with my life.

I tried to cancel on the 3rd day - half the day! - because I was promised by the phone rep that if it didn’t work I would not have to pay and could cancel. I spacifically asked!!! However, you can NOT get a human on the phone and most times I was disconnected from the call by the company.

Last night I tried to watch Netflix, what the **bleep**, try again. I counted 9 times the movie lost connection. Tried again at 2am...List connection 3 times and shut it off.

I am being ripped off. Had to disconnect my phone from hughesnet because no one could hear me the quality was so poor. Suddenly no more poor quality - right in the middle of a call!

I am using my cell service to write this.
maratsade

• The only way to cancel is to call the phone line.
  • Try calling outside business hours, after midnight, on the weekends
  • Tech support on this site will reply, but you will need to post under Tech Support for speed issues, and under myAccount and Billing for account issues. 
LoriS wrote:
I see my reply is not listed here. The answer to your first bullet is: 422 kbps to 1.29 mbps

I can not get tech support on the phone. I have called enough times that Zi had to go on with my life.

I tried to cancel on the 3rd day - half the day! - because I was promised by the phone rep that if it didn’t work I would not have to pay and could cancel. I spacifically asked!!! However, you can NOT get a human on the phone and most times I was disconnected from the call by the company.

Last night I tried to watch Netflix, what the **bleep**, try again. I counted 9 times the movie lost connection. Tried again at 2am...List connection 3 times and shut it off.

I am being ripped off. Had to disconnect my phone from hughesnet because no one could hear me the quality was so poor. Suddenly no more poor quality - right in the middle of a call!

I am using my cell service to write this.

@LoriS 

Thanks for sharing. Feel better now?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@LoriS wrote:

Okay.  

I agree. I am a new subscriber only 6 days. The internet is so weak I cannot use the 5G at all. I caled this morning and cancelled service. The rep told me It was supposed to be cancelled today and I would not have to pay the $400. However, he kept referring to April 21st for termination. I told him no April 21st would put me beyond the 30 day cancellation period, and I want it cancelled today. He assured me it would be. However, I just received an email saying it would be terminated on April 1st and I would be charged for the $400. Hughestnet are scammers and buyers should beware.

@GabeU wrote:

@LoriS wrote:

Okay.  

maratsade

There is no 30 day cancellation period. The early cancellation fee  is active the minute your service is installed. It's industry standard for this type of service, not a scam as the ignorant mantra would have it. 

The information is available online, openly, for any of those buyers who want to beware, and reading all of this information before signing a legally binding contract is what a smart and savvy consumer should do.  Crying "scam" after creating an account without any kind of research is nonsense. 

SusanJoyGreen wrote:

I agree. I am a new subscriber only 6 days. The internet is so weak I cannot use the 5G at all. I caled this morning and cancelled service. The rep told me It was supposed to be cancelled today and I would not have to pay the $400. However, he kept referring to April 21st for termination. I told him no April 21st would put me beyond the 30 day cancellation period, and I want it cancelled today. He assured me it would be. However, I just received an email saying it would be terminated on April 1st and I would be charged for the $400. Hughestnet are scammers and buyers should beware.

GabeU

@SusanJoyGreen wrote:

I agree. I am a new subscriber only 6 days. The internet is so weak I cannot use the 5G at all.  

First, the range of the 5GHz band is less than the 2.4GHz band.  Secondly, your devices have to be able to utilize the 5GHz band.  Not all of today's devices can, though just about all WiFi devices can utilize the 2.4GHz band.  Thirdly, considering HughesNet's current top speed, which is approaching 50Mbps, there's a good chance you wouldn't see much of a difference between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, anyway.

@SusanJoyGreen wrote:

I caled this morning and cancelled service. The rep told me It was supposed to be cancelled today and I would not have to pay the $400. However, he kept referring to April 21st for termination. I told him no April 21st would put me beyond the 30 day cancellation period, and I want it cancelled today. He assured me it would be. However, I just received an email saying it would be terminated on April 1st and I would be charged for the $400. Hughestnet are scammers and buyers should beware. 

You should have been able to get an immediate cancellation if that's what you wanted.  However, as maratsade intimated, the $400 Early Termination Fee would apply, nonetheless.  That there is a 24 month commitment and an Early Termination Fee is mentioned in the disclosure that's read toward the end of the sales call, and to which you are asked if you agree.  The full Residential Subscriber Agreement is here.   

With this said, if you feel that that the 24 month commitment and/or Early Termination Fee were not disclosed during your sales call, you can request a sales call review.  If it's determined that you were misled during said sales call you may have recourse.  You can request that review here, and make sure you explain why you are asking for it.   As well, keep it pertinent, as the sales call review ONLY concerns the sales call and nothing that's said before or after.