Old man's computer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Old man's computer

Thought I'd post what an old geezer has for a computer. I used to build mine from scratch but done with those days. Have an ASUS ROG  751J 17" laptop (not really a laptop) that does more than I need these days, including any games I care to play.

An old school desktop icon person, hate tiles and touch on anything bigger than a phone or tablet. Just throwing it out here for discussion and my desktop capture plus hardware info.

Screenshot (1).jpgsysinfo.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
MarkJFine
Professor

That's not old.
This, is old... 😜

IMG_0426.JPGIt has 640k of RAM, just enough to run Visicalc.I really should clear off the 10MB Hardcard, disconnect the cassette cord, and send it to a museum.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

That's not old.
This, is old... 😜

IMG_0426.JPGIt has 640k of RAM, just enough to run Visicalc.I really should clear off the 10MB Hardcard, disconnect the cassette cord, and send it to a museum.

Looks almost exactly like the 8088 I built from Computer Shopper parts back in '87, minus the IBM emblem of course.  Fun booting from floppies, then upgraded to a whopping 5MB MFM hard drive the size of half a shoe box.....lol.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I don't care for tiles either. They're disabled on my Windows 10 machines and I have regular icons.

Amanda

ASUS ROG G750JH over here. Use it for couch gaming/non-VR games. You are right about it not being a laptop, because until I got this one, I've never heard of an 11lb laptop!

GabeU

@BirdDog

My desktop is a little more barebones than yours, and my computer itself could do with an upgrade.  😛   The computer is a home built desktop.  

Desktop Pic.jpg

Speccy Pic.JPG

I seem to be running some of the same programs. Not near as powerful as you guys though.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

GabeU

I used to have quite a bit more programs on mine, but since I performed a clean FCU install I have yet to reinstall them.  I probably won't do all of them, but I'll definitely reinstall Steam and my Half-Life and Half-Life 2 games fairly soon. 

Later I might take a snapshot of my Acer notebook.  You want to see a weak computer?  I'm surprised that thing even has enough in it to get online.  😛   A 1Ghz processor.  SMH.  

I wish I still had my VIC-20.  That was a fun computer.  

Yeh I love retro computers.  Learned in the days of the Commodore Pet.... but I was raised an Atarian.  Purchased my 1st Atari, an 800, in 1980 with my paper-route money.  Those were the days kids peddaled on bikes in the early AM delivering news papers, through rain, sleet, and snow.  Walked up hill, both ways... 10 miles.  LOL.

I have an all Atari room with the 2600 being the oldest, but for real computer it was the 400/800.  All fun stuff.

I am into Amiga systems now... modern Amiga NG systems that run Workbench or what they call AmigaOS now.  Yes this OS is till around and derived from old Workbench 3.1 days...

TJ

macsociety
Advanced Tutor

Atari400.jpg

Take that!  😉

TJ

Oh, if I only still had my C-64...
Beach Head.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.