Poor mbps every night

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GailWasiskiMile
Sophomore

Poor mbps every night

Every night when I try to connect my Roku I have 0 mbps connection.   And most days if I have 1 mpbs I am lucky.  I am sick and tired of this crap internet..but again have no choice because of where I live.  See attached screen shots.. and no..I am not going to run speedtest because it always seems to be fine..but as you can see..it is not.  Too bad I pay outrageous pricing for 50 gb I can never use at night for streaming 

..blah blah all the people are connected at night...whatever ..complaining done for now!20210429_182933.jpg

20210429_182944.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Yikes. That's so frustrating, and since you get better speeds at other times, it sounds like it's just a whole bunch of people jumping on your beam at the same time and all wanting to stream something, thus overloading the system very rapidly.  Not sure anything can be done about that.... 😞

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
maratsade

You had found a workaround by installing a router and it seemed to be working for you. I guess that didn't last long, or was there always a problem in the evening?

Yep. It worked ok for a while. Now this morning I am connected at 1 mbps.  How am I supposed to download..update..during free hours? For about a month..I would be connected at anywhere from 10 to 20 mbps..but not any longer.  Just very frustrated that it takes this much work to stream anything.

maratsade

Sympathies re the frustration. That's no fun at all. And sorry to hear your workaround stopped working. 

Since some of this is a new issue, though, it might be worth your while to describe the issue in the tech support area -- maybe remote diagnostics from the mods might reveal something such as a misalignment or something like that? 

Forgive the stupid question, but, have you rebooted everything?  Sometimes rebooting the modem puts you on a clearer channel and that improves things. 

I did reboot! Up to 12 mbps now! But around 5 pm..it goes back down to 0 😞 

maratsade

Yikes. That's so frustrating, and since you get better speeds at other times, it sounds like it's just a whole bunch of people jumping on your beam at the same time and all wanting to stream something, thus overloading the system very rapidly.  Not sure anything can be done about that.... 😞

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Gotta agree.  It sounds like significant congestion, especially since the speed is halfway decent during the off peak hours.  

Activities that are especially sensitive to higher latencies, like the various forms of streaming, seem to be the most affected by speed drops, even when the overall speed should still be high enough to perform the activity.

And yes..it has always been a problem in the evening..from 5 pm on..I mean if I even had connection at 2 mbps..things would work.

n191cg
Freshman

Would someone care to explain to me how more people utilizing the down link would cause slow operation? Light travels at 186,000 miles per second and so do radio waves. When more people tune into a radio station it certainly does not decrease the speed. How about a technical expaination to what's going on here? I signed up for the basic service of 20 mbs DL, did a speed test and it seemed ok. Subsecquently signed up for the 50 mbs service, did a speed test and it was still 20 mbs. Did I just increase my bill for $100 for nothing????

GabeU

@n191cg wrote:

Would someone care to explain to me how more people utilizing the down link would cause slow operation? Light travels at 186,000 miles per second and so do radio waves. When more people tune into a radio station it certainly does not decrease the speed. How about a technical expaination to what's going on here? I signed up for the basic service of 20 mbs DL, did a speed test and it seemed ok. Subsecquently signed up for the 50 mbs service, did a speed test and it was still 20 mbs. Did I just increase my bill for $100 for nothing????

A radio station doesn't have a finite throughput.  It's broadcast and receivers pick it up.  Radio and satellite are very different.    

Data, OTOH, is like water through a hose.  If you have a hose that has a maximum throughput of 10 gallons per minute, and then you divide that between ten people, they then only get 1 gallon per minute each each.  That's why the more people there are using the service, whether on a specific beam, a specific gateway or the service as a whole, it slows down.  The satellite has a finite amount of throughput.  It gets divided between gateways, which gets divided between beams, which gets divided between users.  Even satellites for satellite radio, like SiriusXM, have a finite throughput, though the bandwidth needed to provide satellite radio to someone is minuscule in comparison to internet, so their satellites can easily handle all connected users streaming radio at the same time without any issues.  

As for your upgrade, you're mistaking data with speed.  You signed up for more data per month, not more speed.  That is unless you upgraded from Gen4 or a legacy plan to Gen5.  However, with the exception of those living in Alaska, if you signed up for HughesNet within the last four years, you already had Gen5.  All Gen5 plans offer the same speed.  25Mbps down and 3Mbps up, though in practice, as explained above, the actual speeds can vary.  It sounds like you upgraded from the 20GB plan to the 50GB plan.  That's 50GB of Service Plan Data vs 20GB of Service Plan Data per month.  All Gen5 plans also come with 50GB of Bonus Zone data (2AM to 8AM).

Thanks ever so much for the most eloquent and informative explanation. So the next question is, why did we go to so much trouble to launch a satellite that would not fulfill the needs of it’s user’s? And the next question is, what do we do now?

maratsade

Something you can do is learn to live within the data limits.  

GabeU

@n191cg wrote:

So the next question is, why did we go to so much trouble to launch a satellite that would not fulfill the needs of it’s user’s?  

To provide people with internet where no one else does.  And the problem isn't the satellite.  The problem is everyone using the service for which it was never intended... streaming.  

@n191cg wrote:

And the next question is, what do we do now?

Use it within its means.  

Excuse me for being less than enthusiastic. I'm speachless.  

I have to look at the bright side. I really need to not watch as much TV as I have been. I now have the perfect solution to my problem. Thanks gents.

maratsade

Not sure if this will help or not, but if you want to watch TV, something like DirecTV (which is satellite-delivered television) doesn't use any data at all and comes with plenty of channels, both regular and premium.