Hughesnet Community

Projecting my laptop to my TV and HBO Go...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Projecting my laptop to my TV and HBO Go...

Thanks to BirdDog inadvertently letting me know that I can project my laptop to my new LG TV wirelessly, I've been having a little fun.  But, I've been trying to figure out how to stream TV shows and movies without actually having to sign up for Netflix and without resorting to some illegal streaming site.  I don't really want to sign up for Netflix, as I wouldn't be streaming very much, even late at night when I have more data.  I then remembered HBO Go.

I signed up for HBO Go, as I already have HBO through DirecTV, and it worked perfectly.  I then projected it from my laptop to my TV, and other than a quarter second audio delay, which I can fix with the audio sync option in my TV, it worked perfectly.  Granted, it's not exactly full HD this way, but it worked well.  I then got out a long HDMI cable that I bought and tried it with that, as my laptop has an HDMI port.  This, on the other hand, WAS in full HD, and there was no audio delay.  NICE!!!    

So, now I can stream what I want, when I want, and for free, though I pay for HBO, ultimately.  And I don't have to worry about paying for a service (Netflix) and having it not really be worth it.  BTW, if my TV were a Samsung it could utilize HBO Go directly. 

So, now to sign up for Max Go and Showtime Anytime, as I have those movie channels with DirecTV, as well.  And, not only that, but DirecTV itself allows On Demand streaming through their site, in much the same way as HBO Go, which means I can stream even more and not have to worry about my DirecTV receiver chewing through data for other things.

This laptop is going to get used a LOT more now.  🙂 

Granted, I still have to watch my data usage, but being able to do all of this without having to pay more for it is nice, and the ability to control that data usage, which is a must, is also nice.  

Just checked out "The Sopranos" S1 Ep1.  🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 

16 REPLIES 16
MarkJFine
Professor

I probably should have interjected, since I don't stream very often either. When I have, I used the HBO Go or Showtime Anytime sites as well. I'm not certain, but DirecTV acts like a portal, putting those streams in one place, however there have been a couple of times where I had a lot of trouble getting the DTV site to work.

When I do stream, I mostly latch onto my phone as an LTE hotspot so as not to eat away at my Anytime data. Other times I will download locally and bring the MacBook downstairs and tie my laptop into my AV system via HDMI. Can take advantage of HD as well as 5.1 audio that way.

The MacBook is also my Plex server, which I've mostly used for audio. I've tried pumping movies through it but it was real sluggish through my old router, which was only 2GHz 802.11g. Have not tried doing that or pumping 5.1 DTS WAVs thru it since using the 2000W (wideband 802.11ac would help a lot with those)... somthing to play with once it gets colder out.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

When I used the HDMI cable it was definitely better, as was the audio.  Doing it that way made it look as if I was watching something on DirecTV, or even watching a Blu Ray, while the wireless projecting didn't work as well, though it still worked.  

I don't have Plex like you and Corrosive, so I can't save things at this point.  But, I don't even know that I would do so if I could, as the amount of streaming I will do will certainly be very small.  It's just knowing that I have the ability to do so without going all in, like signing up for Netflix or having the Genie change because it was connected, is nice.  

I'd seen the ads for HBO Go many times, but never really considered it due to the data usage.  But, with it not really being intrusive, it might be something I'll use once in a while.  And with all of the stuff there is to choose from, both on HBO Go and DirecTV's site, it should be pretty fun.  

I used my unlimited LTE and started watching Game of Thrones through the beginning of this season... Lots of GB right there.

And since I only get two bars on my phone here I suffered a bit with stalling, pixelation, and buffering every now and then. It was like the old rabbit ears trying to get a good TV signal. Lol, the more things change...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

You get two bars?  Woo Hoo!!!  I'm lucky if I get one.  Seriously.  Sometimes it won't even connect.  

But, with that said, I only have a prepaid TracFone, and it only connects at 2.5G speed, at that.  😛 

maratsade

I use Chromecast. You can cast wirelessly to your TV from a streaming service that allows it (Netflix is one), a browser tab, or your desktop (the latter meaning you can play downloaded movies).   When the speed is low, though,  it may pixelate -- in those cases, I use an HDMI cable.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Pst, Gabe, don't forget you have access to my PLEX. 😛

Oh, don't worry, I haven't forgotten that, and I certainly appreciate it.  🙂  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

GabeU: "Thanks to BirdDog inadvertently letting me know that I can project my laptop to my new LG TV wirelessly,"

Thanks for the thanks and you're welcome. Not really inadvertent, threw it out here for everyone. Is one of those Windows things many don't know about, especially with the new smart devices.

alfresco
Senior

meh, I'm kind of low tech. I have a mac mini plugged into my tv via dvi to hdmi adapter, for the audio I have a surround sound plugged into the headphone jack. I use a wireless keyboard with a trac pad to controll it all. been using this set up for years. Works great. probably wont be using it as much now though since I moved to BFE, I only signed up for the 10 Gb plan.

GabeU

I'm pretty low tech, as well, but discovering this is definitely opening up some new possibilites.  With that said, because connecting via HDMI cable gives better results, I'm probably going to order a 25' cable.  I have a 15' one, but it's not quite long enough for what I would like to do.  And, it got me thinking of emulators and old video games, too, though that all depends on Windows 10.  I'd love to play FFII (actually FFIV) and Zelda again.  Gotta get a new controller, though, as my old one died.         

Granted, we all have the data restrictions (I have the 20/50 plan), but at least I won't be paying an extra $10 or so per month for something I can't take full advantage of, like Netflix or Hulu.  Well, full advantage is a relative term, but you know what I mean.  

There are some old HBO shows I wouldn't mind watching again, like The Wire, Oz and The Sopranos, though it looks like The Wire is going to be on again starting on the 13th.  

I was just looking through what DirecTV itself has available for streaming...WOW.  Lots of movies and shows.  

Zelda is a great game I had the legend of zelda on the old nes system. You got me thinking about getting a playstation and playing some video games instead of using up  all my data  streaming movies, tv shows this winter.

@alfresco wrote:

wont be using it as much now though since I moved to BFE

Lol... Have to laugh. Haven't heard anyone else use that term in years.

Funny, I hadn't heard that term for years either until my wife mentioned it.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@alfresco wrote:

Funny, I hadn't heard that term for years either until my wife mentioned it.

Military Vet, part of my normal lexicon.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Last time I heard of BFE... Was in my teenage years in highschool... Ahh such fond memories that I wish didn't exist, many pretty blue lights, many days of sleeping all class because of the pretty blue lights.  FUN TIMES!

I wonder if that projection thingy works with ChromeCast devices.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Last time I heard of BFE... Was in my teenage years in highschool... Ahh such fond memories that I wish didn't exist, many pretty blue lights, many days of sleeping all class because of the pretty blue lights.  FUN TIMES!

I wonder if that projection thingy works with ChromeCast devices.

Um...pretty blue lights?   You've go to stay off whatever it was that caused the "pretty blue lights".  😛