cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed

New Poster

Re: Speed

Welcome to Hughesnet. Words like S-L-O-W, unreliable and intermittent barely begin to describe it. And don’t forget expensive. Laws of physics account for the some of the issues—horrid lag, insufficient bandwidth (especially in prime time or during widely watched events—e.g., Sunday football), natural events like rain that interfere with receiver or just overcast that slows the system even more. But when you’re somewhere that has no better service available, as my wife says, “It’s country living. Get used to it.”
Distinguished Professor III

Satellite internet has limited bandwidth, and if everyone wants to watch football, or stream a show, the limited bandwith goes fast and things get slow. Limited bandwidth accounts for issues during prime time because everyone is taxing the limited system.

The laws of physics are responsible for the latency, not the bandwidth. 

Do you have any alternatives that you could go with? Depending on where you live, you may have wifi provided by phone companies.

Jabbits wrote:
Welcome to Hughesnet. Words like S-L-O-W, unreliable and intermittent barely begin to describe it. And don’t forget expensive. Laws of physics account for the some of the issues—horrid lag, insufficient bandwidth (especially in prime time or during widely watched events—e.g., Sunday football), natural events like rain that interfere with receiver or just overcast that slows the system even more. But when you’re somewhere that has no better service available, as my wife says, “It’s country living. Get used to it.”

New Poster

Are you Mr. Hughes?

Distinguished Professor IV

@armwva wrote:

Are you Mr. Hughes?

There is no "Mr. Hughes".  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Associate Professor

Howard's been dead for years.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

He faked his own death. 

Sophomore

Where you able to cancel or was the speed issue resolve? Wanting to know because I was told I could cancel within 30 days. So far I have never received good download speeds during daylight hours - lots of data left. After spending a couple hours in chat and on the phone nothing improved. I have great in the middle of the night download speeds - so I am assuming there are too many customers using the same beam. Which means the support staff can not solve the problem.
Distinguished Professor IV

@DebiS 

There is no 30 day cancellation period.  The 24 month commitment is in effect the minute your service goes live.  If you were told during the sales call that you have a 30 day cancellation period and you wish to do so, you should start a new topic in the "My Account and Billing" section and request a sales call review so that they can determine whether this is the case.  Without doing this you'll have no recourse and there will be an Early Termination Fee if you go to cancel your service. 

If you would like to troubleshoot the speed issue, I suggest contacting Remy at the link he gave and provide him the information requested to move forward.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
New Poster

No, I didn't try to cancel. I wasn't told that I could cancel within 30 days. I'm not even there now. It (Hughes service) is at a summer home up north. I won't be using it until next summer. Maybe by then the service will have improved. I use it mainly for television. The internet part works fairly well for my needs as in email, shopping and banking. The TV though is really slow and I used up my 20 in 5 days. Guess I'm stuck. But, I only use it for about 4 months a year. I'll just chalk it up to having expensive internet.

If you only use it 4 months per year, you could suspend it for a few months and save money:  

https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/account_billing/what-seasonal-suspension

armwva wrote:

But, I only use it for about 4 months a year.