cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricky21613
Sophomore

Speed

Just playing around now

I am FAP'ed. So I figured I would do some test just for fun.

So how did I get here in the 1st place? Well I had to reset my cell phone. It got a ton of updates. I obviously was connected to my WiFi, which is not recommended I know. I was shocked at how much data it used to update. I got like 6 or so updates to the system. They had to be huge. I used something like half my data just for this job. End of the story is I got rid of the phone anyway and got a new one.

Since I am FAP'ed, I am testing my speed and how my system is working. Bottom line is not too bad at all. My speed test show a few different things. There are my HughesNet tests that show 30-40 or so. That is normal for my system. The Verizon ones are connected to 5G. I am surprised at the fast speed from my phone.

The last test is from my system while FAP'ed. Not bad. My system is very useable. I can do all the surfing I want at an acceptable speed for me. The Quadtranet are my system in normal state using a VPN.

I am pleased with my systems' performance while FAP'ed. Good job HughesNet. Now if you can just give me unlimited data, all will be well. hahahaha

testmy.PNG

13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Software updates are data hogs. And there are updates all the time nowadays, it seems. 

Is the 5.84 Mbps a measurement during FAP?  If so, that's pretty awesome. Other people in the past have mentioned their FAP experience was very good. 

You do have unlimited data....you've run out of your allowance and you're still using the system. HN doesn't cut you off. 🙂

iOS and iPadOS updates seem to be monthly.

App updates seem to be weekly, minimum.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Yes, and when you have several iOS devices, the data consumption adds up. 

One other thing I recently noticed on macOS: There's this process that periodically (and very inefficiently) synchs a lot of data at a 1-2 Mbps rate to your iCloud account. Seems to go on for a very long time, and I've seen it happen twice a day.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I haven't actually noticed that but I know it happens because my iCloud account is always synched. My Mac is turned off until I can properly update it, but iPads and iPhones get synched too. Lots of data.

Yes, the 5.84 is FAP speed.

maratsade

Excellent for FAP speed.

@Ricky21613 wrote:

I totally agree. My FAP speed is for sure good.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Excellent for FAP speed.

@Ricky21613 wrote:

Gotta agree.  Though I've never been in FAP personally, when comparing to those who've mentioned their FAP speed that definitely is top notch.  

maratsade

I was in FAP a few times, but it was waaaaay back when the service was still DirecWay. FAP was pretty bad then, and it even took a very long time to implement a token.  I also remember one or two people in this community who tested being in FAP and reported it was just fine for regular browsing. 

@GabeU wrote:

Gotta agree.  Though I've never been in FAP personally, when comparing to those who've mentioned their FAP speed that definitely is top notch.  

That is what I am experiencing. It is good for general browsing.

I just discovered this page of data. I never realized I could see the usage broken down like this. So it shows I used about 10 GB in about a day. Wow! That was some phone updates right there.

HN.PNG

maratsade

Dear lord. Those are some large updates.