Buffering Slow Internet and E-mail times out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kf4ipc
Sophomore

Buffering Slow Internet and E-mail times out

I have been having issues with Hughes net since I had it installed in December of 2018. Slow Internet, Facebook will partially load then the pictures and videos will start loading one by one and you have to wait for it to load more so you can keep scrolling down the page. You-tube buffers constantly even with data saver turned off and resolution as low as it will go. E-mail will time out and reload the same messages several times if there are any large attachments. It's extremely difficult to participate in on-line college classes. This happens with all my devices, Wired desktop, laptops, mobile phones. Normally I keep Wifi turned off. Speedtest shows my download speed mostly between 20 and 60 Mbps and my upload speed was 2.1 Mbps when I last checked. I have called tech support numerous times when I have been having problems and they had a service tech come out this past week and he couldn't find anything wrong, All he did was take a few pictures of the dish, checked the coax connections and connected into my wifi with his phone to run some checks then told me everything looked fine and he didn't know what else to do. I am to the point now that if I want to watch something on You-tube I just use my mobile data. Most of the time the weather is clear when I am having problems and it happens during different times of the day and night. I also have not been out of data.

LAN Throughput is ***** 96.56 Mbps

Satellite Receive Signal Strength104

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=03232019&x=90&l=50&q=KF4IPC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@kf4ipc,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. If you are willing to try HTS again, please call 866-347-3292 and provide them with the updated case number I just messaged you, as I have now updated the case notes to ensure the call will be free of charge next time. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Also, I see you had mentioned termination earlier. If this is the step you would like to take instead, I can assist you with the process. Please private message me if this is your decision.

-Damian

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@kf4ipc 

Though this may not make a difference, have you tried power cycling your HughesNet modem?  If not, shut down your computer, unplug the modem, wait at least a minute, plug the modem back in, wait at least five minutes, then start your computer and try again.  

Though Youtube does seem to buffer more for some people than others, even when the speed is adequate, which yours definitely is, the fact that Facebook is doing what it's doing is troubling, to say the least.  

BTW, regarding the Facebook videos, do you have auto video playing turned off?  

I have been rebooting the modem and my computer at least weekly since December and it dosn't seem to make a difference. Auto play is also turned off on facebook. I find buffering on all websites that have videos on them. I take college classes that have videos that I need to watch at times and they buffer also. I have used the public hot spot in town with my laptop connected at 3 Mbps with almost no problems watching Youtube at HD resolutions and I am also able to scroll through Facebook without having to wait for it to load so I know its not my computer. I sent a 5 mb file from my mobile phone using my G-mail account to my desktop using Mozilla Thunderbird and it took almost 10 minutes to arrive and my mail server timed out once it that time.

Hello kf4ipc,

Welcome to our community and thank you for reaching out to us here. The first thing I want to get more information on is video streaming. Do you know if any of the website you visit to watch videos have the video player settings set to "Auto" definition, or do you manually select a higher resolution? Can you find out if your college is using progressive or adaptive streaming? Do you need to use a remote application or VPN to reach any of your school documents? 

Have you also recently disabled your wireless broadcast on the HughesNet modem? I see there were some devices connected over Wi-Fi as of 3/23/19, specifically on your Guest network. Are you able to test both sending and receiving from just your mobile phone?

Thank you,

Amanda

Most of the videos I watch are on You tube and I manually adjust the video as low as it will go as well as turning off the video saver, I think last time I was at 144p and it was still buffering and I couldn't read anything in the video it needs to be at least 360p to read the words.  I am not sure what Penn Foster College uses for video and I normally just log in and get my documents no VPN.  Stihl Icademy uses flowplayer and I can't adjust the resolution on that. My laptop is the same way wired or wireless.  I also keep my Wifi disabled due to the fact that I was loosing data when it was on and I was also told by tech support that I had to disable it for the speed tests so I just leave it off. I did have it on last week when the Technician had to use it to connect his phone to run tests. If I connect my mobile phone to the Wifi I can watch videos for a short time before it starts buffering and downloading apps on my mobile phone while on wifi takes longer then using mobile data. My wife stopped connecting her phone to it after the first month because she couldn't get her games to work on it.

Any Ideas? What can I try? I am about fed up with this service, I have been having problems with this since day one. It is unusable the way it is and it is frustrating when I am trying to use the Internet, it reminds me of dial up service. The only time it seems to work is when I download a file to my computer then it is fast. I let my slow DSL 1-3 Mbps go because everyone, even the radio station was saying how much faster HughesNet was, I don't see it. I am tired of calling tech support because they always have me trying the same things over and over, They even sent a Tech out after waiting almost a month because the tech was over booked and all he did was walk around, take pictures, checked that the cable connections were tight and connected his phone to my wifi and said he didn't see anything wrong. I am tired of fighting with this Internet.

maratsade

A moderator has begun working with you on this issue, so you may want to wait until she gets back to you.  It sometimes takes time for them to run diagnostics and try to figure out what may be going on, make adjustments, or whatever they need to do. I know you must be very frustrated, but give them a chance to do their work.  

Now that you're in contact with the corporate reps, I would stop contacting the phone or chat lines, as they're only able to do certain things. The corporate reps can do a whole lot more. 

kf4ipc wrote:

Any Ideas? What can I try? I am about fed up with this service, I have been having problems with this since day one. It is unusable the way it is and it is frustrating when I am trying to use the Internet, it reminds me of dial up service. The only time it seems to work is when I download a file to my computer then it is fast. I let my slow DSL 1-3 Mbps go because everyone, even the radio station was saying how much faster HughesNet was, I don't see it. I am tired of calling tech support because they always have me trying the same things over and over, They even sent a Tech out after waiting almost a month because the tech was over booked and all he did was walk around, take pictures, checked that the cable connections were tight and connected his phone to my wifi and said he didn't see anything wrong. I am tired of fighting with this Internet.

kf4ipc,

I apologize for the wait. I was able to investigate some of the connections being made on your system and two things stand out - TeamViewer and Xbox Live. I am unsure if the Xbox Live connection is made through an actual Xbox console, Windows 10 built-in apps or a browser. Live tiles on Xbox live do take up bandwidth, which takes away from other local bandwidth for your devices. 

For TeamViewer, I'll need you to check if you do actually have this installed. If you're on Windows 10, you can simply click on Start or use the Windows key on your keyboard, then type in TeamViewer. If it appears as a program installed on your computer, we will need to investigate the settings for it. Another way to check is through Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & Features

X-box live must be an app running on my computer, we have an X-box console but it has been disconected since the kid went off to college. I do have TeamViewer installed on my computer because I have to remote into it at times but I havn't been able to use it reliably since I had HughesNet installed, there is to much lag and TeamViewer will time out and log me out while using it. I can disable TeamViewer for a while to see if that helps and I will have to find the X-box live app and see if I can uninstall it or disable it. I have tried 3 different browsers on my desktop and 2 browsers on my laptop and I get the same results wired or wireless. I can take my laptop to the public hot spot in town and connect between 1 and 3 Mbps while sitting in my car and I have no buffering while watching Youtube in HD. 

Hi kf4ipc,

Just wanted to check in and see if you were able to find out anything new. I want to make sure we keep a good momentum on your issue.

I disabled TeamViewer and also killed X-Box live but I have not seen any improvement, I tried to watch you tube last night 4/3 and it still buffered after watching it for about 5 or so minutes. Download speed was 50.25 Mbps. I also have video saver turned off and the resolution was at the lowest, you can't even watch videos with the resolution that low because all it is is a blurry grainy picture. I also tried facebook today 4/4 and it still loads the pages slow and I have to wait for it to load so I can keep scrolling. Logging into my bank website took a very long time as well as navigating around the site.

Today my LAN Throughput was ***** 82.38 Mbps and I and had a download speed 30.04 Mbps and my upload speed was 1.36 Mbps. 

This past Wednesday 4/10 Internet was fast, little to no buffering on You Tube then on Thursday 4/11 it was back to the same old thing, I couldn't even download my mail or connect to Facebook. I haven't tried it today but will try it tonight. Any other ideas for me to try? I am trying to be as patient as I can but it is frustrating that I am paying for a service that is barely usable.

@kf4ipc,

I apologize for the delay in response. We have been investigating this issue extensively. The problem here is that your speeds on both our end and yours, are adequate enough to use the service smoothly. In addition to that, our equipment is functioning properly, as there are no system errors in your diagnostic history. Due to this circumstance, I would like to refer you to our Home Tech Support department free of charge. In order to speak with this department, you will need to call in at 866-347-3292 and provide them with the case number I will be messaging you privately. Once you have finished troubleshooting with the agents, please update me on your status. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Damian 

Called Hughes net and gave them my case # they had me on the phone for 2 hours with tech support before fianly transfering me to Home Tech Support and they want $200 to remote connect into my devices to optimize them. I told them that my devices work fine when they are not connected to Hughes Net and I am not going to pay $200 for someone to connect into my computer. My laptop is fast when it is conected to the towns hot spot or the wifi at my work. What now? I am tired slow to no internet and dealing with Hughes Net because I feel like I am getting the run around. 

Paid for another month of worthless Internet and still have not heard anything back from the mods that are supposed to be working on my case. My bill gets paid every month and I still can't use Hughes net reliably and It's been like this since I got it in December of 2018. I called Hughes net over a week ago and gave them my case # and they had me on the phone for 2 hours with tech support burning up my data having me run speedtests over and over before finally transferring me to Home Tech Support and then they wanted to charge me almost $200 to remote connect into my devices to optimize them. I was told I wouldn't be charged for that service? I have used a total of 4.7gb of data since 4/19 when my data renewed and 3.3 gigs of that was troubleshooting with tech support. It is imposable to stream you tube or any other streaming service and email will time out several times before I receive all of it and then I have to go through it and delete all the duplicate messages. I want to know how much will it cost me to terminate this service? I am done with not having reliable Internet and if I have to go into town to connect to the Internet everyday then I shouldn't have to pay for something I am unable to use. 

maratsade

"I want to know how much will it cost me to terminate this service? "

$400 for the first 90 days.   After that, it drops by $15 a month ($385, $370, etc.)

@maratsade wrote:

"I want to know how much will it cost me to terminate this service? "

$400 for the first 90 days.   After that, it drops by $15 a month ($385, $370, etc.)

I shouldn't have to pay anything since my Internet hasn't been unable since it was installed.

I'm having to use the hot spot in town just to be able to send this and check my e-mail.

maratsade

If they run diagnostics on their end and on your end and find nothing wrong, it may be said they've done their due diligence, so you may be found liable for contract termination. They have also asked you to take further steps on your end and you have declined, so that is also a strike against you. 

It seems the troubleshooting may be stalled since you did not wish to work with Home Tech Support. The Hughesnet people investigated your issue extensively and found no speed problems on their end or on your end, so they need you to do more work on your end to determine what may be causing the problems you see -- may be latency, perhaps, or something else. Ball's in your court now, and until you do what you asked you to do, they will likely not continue to investigate the issue, but you could always send a private message to Damian and ask for an update.

kf4ipc wrote:

I shouldn't have to pay anything since my Internet hasn't been unable since it was installed.

I'm having to use the hot spot in town just to be able to send this and check my e-mail.

@maratsade wrote:

If they run diagnostics on their end and on your end and find nothing wrong, it may be said they've done their due diligence, so you may be found liable for contract termination. They have also asked you to take further steps on your end and you have declined, so that is also a strike against you. 

It seems the troubleshooting may be stalled since you did not wish to work with Home Tech Support. The Hughesnet people investigated your issue extensively and found no speed problems on their end or on your end, so they need you to do more work on your end to determine what may be causing the problems you see -- may be latency, perhaps, or something else. Ball's in your court now, and until you do what you asked you to do, they will likely not continue to investigate the issue, but you could always send a private message to Damian and ask for an update.

kf4ipc wrote:

why should I have to pay almost $200 to HTS when I was told it would be free and everytime I call tech support I always get told something different.

GabeU

@kf4ipc 

I was hoping @Damian would reply, as I was under the impression that the Home Tech Support service was supposed to be free of charge for troubleshooting this issue, and $200 is definitely not free of charge.  😞

Think it would also help to stick to only one topic thread as it tends to get confusing when a mod or admin has to look in two places, especially if there's a lot of people to respond to.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.