Connection Problems- Only with AOL

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bos2420
Junior

Connection Problems- Only with AOL

The problem started a week to 10 days ago.  I can not connect to AOL via my hughes Gen5 connection.  We both use aol mail (yes, I know there are better options, and I may look into that, but when you have had the same address forever, switching is hard to do)

Now, not only can I/we not connect to our mail, we also can not connect to aol.com (main website)  I thought this might be a router problem, as a couple of other websites were pretty slow.  Just put in a new TP-Link AC1200.  It is working fine.  All other websites come up quickly.  Running Win10.  This is happening on ALL of our computers, 3 laptops and this decktop.  When trying to connect, I get the "This site can't be reached.  Mail.aol.com took too long to respond".  This desktop is running wired through the router, the other computers are running wireless. 

When I break the phones out, and go to the 'mobil hotspot route', we can connect.  Again, on all 4 computers.  

We have exceeded our download allowance, but we are working on 7 gigs of purchased allowance.  Regardless of that, this started when we were still in our allowance, and it happens during 'Bonus Time', so I do not think it is an 'allowance' problem.  

I am pretty computer literate, so this isn't a basic knowledge issue (I hope).  I have also torn up Google looking for answers.  There was something about disabling the IPv6 settings.  No joy.  Then there was something about changing the IPv4 settings and going to a directed DNS Server address.  Tried that also.  No good.  

Wife, who is NOT computer literate, suggested a System Restore.  I do not think that will work, but I was halfway through this post when she brought it up.  I will try that, and come back if it works.  Otherwise, assume it didn't.  Can't think it would anyway, unless there is some virus that infected all 4 computers, through Malware Byes, and is specific to Hughes not connecting to AOL.  

So, short story, in review.  Can not connect via Hughes to any form of AOL (including the help articles listed in Google searches)  If it says AOL in the address, it will not load.  It WILL load via a phones' mobil hotspot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bos2420 

One other thing is that, if you'd like to schedule the file downloads, but you don't like the idea of leaving your PC on (I don't), or messing with trying to schedule the downloads to your PC, you can schedule the file download(s) to your Android or IOS device using the PlayOn Cloud app, then copy the files to your PC.  

BTW, don't forget to change the resolution on the app if you want it to be better than standard.  I'm fine with standard, which is DVD quality, but some people want it to be better, regardless of the increased file size for the program/movie.  I believe 720p is the maximum resolution, but that's still very good.  

If you try it and you like it, please let us know.  I'm still deciding whether to get it, though I probably will.  It's cheap, and lets you easily take advantage of the Bonus Zone data, and even those twenty days of data resets with your upgrade (make sure first, though, of course).  🙂

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

@bos2420 wrote:

Apparently, this happens with any 'Old Timey' website.  Smiley Very Happy

Just tried to look at a link on Yahoo.  Same error message.  Figured it was just the link.  Tried to go to Yahoo.com.  Nope.  

Went to the phone hotspot.  Loads right up.  

E-mail sent to Customer Service, requesting to test a new modem. 

Ah, the plot thickens!  Here's what I get running traceroute to aol.com:

traceroute to aol.com (106.10.218.150), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.42.1 (192.168.42.1) 0.278 ms 0.249 ms 0.231 ms
2 100.67.205.153 (100.67.205.153) 0.470 ms 0.523 ms 0.610 ms
3 dpc6935186182.direcpc.com (69.35.186.182) 627.393 ms 687.188 ms 687.168 ms
4 dpc6935188058.direcpc.com (69.35.188.58) 687.121 ms 707.026 ms 707.022 ms
5 ae13-575.edge3.Denver1.Level3.net (4.28.103.141) 706.975 ms 725.744 ms 725.895 ms
6 * * *
7 PCCW-level3-30G.Dallas1.Level3.net (4.68.110.246) 791.410 ms 791.437 ms 791.389 ms
8 TenGE0-1-0-17.br02.hkg12.pccwbtn.net (63.218.174.61) 981.199 ms 786.976 ms 766.663 ms
9 63-216-176-170.static.pccwglobal.net (63.216.176.170) 756.616 ms 766.603 ms 744.669 ms
10 et-3-3-0.pat1.sgy.yahoo.com (183.177.82.40) 764.490 ms 774.403 ms 838.837 ms
11 ae-5.msr1.sg3.yahoo.com (203.84.209.87) 838.634 ms 789.498 ms 789.302 ms
12 ae-2.clr2-a-gdc.sg3.yahoo.com (106.10.128.5) 789.140 ms ae-2.clr1-a-gdc.sg3.yahoo.com (106.10.128.3) 879.374 ms 779.340 ms
13 lo0.fab1-3-gdc.sg3.yahoo.com (106.10.131.217) 865.655 ms lo0.fab2-3-gdc.sg3.yahoo.com (106.10.131.216) 855.578 ms lo0.fab4-3-gdc.sg3.yahoo.com (106.10.131.214) 889.348 ms
14 lo0.usw2-1-lba.sg3.yahoo.com (106.10.128.239) 889.240 ms lo0.usw1-1-lba.sg3.yahoo.com (106.10.128.238) 869.501 ms lo0.usw2-1-lba.sg3.yahoo.com (106.10.128.239) 859.566 ms
15 w2.src4.vip.sg3.yahoo.com (106.10.218.150) 779.505 ms 779.419 ms 789.324 ms

As you can see, yahoo.com shows up several times.  Like I said before I'm not sure about what all of this means, but it looks like yahoo.com is on the way to aol.com.  Or maybe I should say it's in the way.  :>)>

I doubt the modem is your problem.  I think the problem is past the Hughes gateway.  I'm surprised you haven't heard from a mod about this yet.  Like I said, I've seen problems that were similar before.

BTW if you upgrade to gen5, make sure you don't plug the modem in to your system until the bonus period,  otherwise you'll take a big hit to your anytime data just for the modem to initialize.

Yahoo, AOL... I think it's all Verizon under the Oath: logo, aka Verizon Media.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Yahoo, AOL... I think it's all Verizon under the Oath: logo, aka Verizon Media.

Well,  that explains everything!  This is all an evil plot by Verizon to sabotage a competitor.  :>)>

GabeU

@gaines_wright wrote: 

BTW if you upgrade to gen5, make sure you don't plug the modem in to your system until the bonus period,  otherwise you'll take a big hit to your anytime data just for the modem to initialize.

To prevent any confusion to the OP or anyone else who reads through this thread, the above statement is incorrect.  Neither data required for modem activation and initialization, nor that required for a modem software update/upgrade, is deducted from customer data.  

Specifically regarding the OP, an upgrade to Gen5 would almost assuredly require a tech visit, at which time the tech would power the new modem to start the activation and initialization process.  As well, the OP would receive the initial twenty days of data replenishment that new customers, and those upgrading from legacy plans to Gen5, are given, so even in the event that there was some type of system glitch and the above mentioned data was incorrectly drawn from the OP's data bank, it wouldn't matter.

@gaines_wright wrote: 

"To prevent any confusion to the OP or anyone else who reads through this thread, the above statement is incorrect.  Neither data required for modem activation and initialization, nor that required for a modem software update/upgrade, is deducted from customer data." 

Well, it was definitely correct in my case.  I remember because it was the first time I had run out of data since the daily limit days.  A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to him when he upgraded.  This was some time ago, things may have changed since then.

"Specifically regarding the OP, an upgrade to Gen5 would almost assuredly require a tech visit, at which time the tech would power the new modem to start the activation and initialization process."

Neither I, nor my friend had a tech do anything   We both talked to Hughes on the phone and they sent us new HT2000 modems, and told us to just plug them in to our systems.  Unfortunately we both did this during the anytime data period and took a big anytime data hit. 

"As well, the OP would receive the initial twenty days of data replenishment that new customers, and those upgrading from legacy plans to Gen5, are given, so even in the event that there was some type of system glitch and the above mentioned data was incorrectly drawn from the OP's data bank, it wouldn't matter."

Again none of that happened with me or my friend.  Seems like I remember having this same discussion with you some time ago.  If I remember correctly, none of the above applies to a gen4 to gen5 upgrade.  I guess gen4 doesn't qualify as a legacy system.  "Legacy system" is that kind of like "no hard data limits"?  :>)>

Since he's running a HN9000, I guess that would be a gen3 system, and he would probably get the data break also.  Seems strange to me that it actually pays to wait 2 generations before updating your Hughes system.

To prevent any confusion to anyone else who reads through this thread, ( Sorry GabeU,  I couldn't resist!  :>)> ) if you're just going from gen4 to gen5, and are only doing a modem upgrade,  I would still advise doing the upgrade during the bonus period.  It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to do so and it might save you a big anytime data hit.

BTW what the heck is an OP?  Other person?

maratsade

OP = original poster (also original post)

GabeU

@gaines_wright 

The OP is on a legacy system, with it being the HN9000s, so the upgrade to Gen5 would require a tech visit.  This would especially be the case with utilizing the ES19.  And though I don't know the OPs history, it may be that they're on the HN9000S system due to not being in the ES17 footprint, and if that's the case, they'd also need to have their dish re-aimed (to the ES19), as well as possibly having the radio polarization reversed.   

I upgraded to Gen4 in Feb 2016, then upgraded to Gen5 in March 2017.  And though both required tech visits, neither upgrade used a single byte of my data.  At the time I was still utilizing the old data usage site with the hourly breakdown, which I looked at when I noticed my data wasn't being depleted normally after upgrading to Gen4.  I believe the same system that allows modem software upgrades without using any data (maybe a dedicated channel?) is used for modem initialization/activation. 

Though it's too late now, you should have contacted HughesNet the minute you noticed your data being depleted, as it shouldn't have been doing that.  Though they may not have been able to stop it, especially if it was already finished, they may have at least compensated you with some data tokens.

Well, we got off track, but that's ok.

When I last upgraded, they gave me 20 days of basically unlimited data, so I am not worried.  The warning is well taken, and something I can watch for.

Meanwhile, I gave up on a solution, and ordered the upgrade.  They come next Wed.  

On a side note, living in the mountains, I am also on Dish, which cancelled HBO.  Sorta ticked about that, as I am looking forward to the last season of Game of Thrones.  So we will be looking into streaming HBO Now on a limited basis.  Upgraded from the old 14gb to the 20gb plan, so it should work out.  Yea, I know streaming eats data.  I will watch it. 

Thanks for all the help, even if we didn't solve it. 

GabeU

@bos2420 

You should like the Gen5.  It works pretty well for me.  And the HT2000W has built in WiFi, so if anything were to ever go wrong with your own router you'll still it.  

That whole Dish and HBO thing is angering a lot of people, especially because of GOT.  I'm looking forward to the Deadwood film, as well.  

You may even want to take a look at PlayOn Cloud.  With it you can download GOT and other things as a file (.mp4) instead of actually having to stream it.  It's a great way to be able to take advantage of the Bonus Zone.  It streams what you choose to the cloud, then converts it to an .mp4 file for downloading.  And what you download you keep, as well.  There's no expiration.  You then use your media player, like VLC or Windows' built in player, to view the file.  And best of all is that there's no buffering, as you're watching the programs/movies from already downloaded files.  It's a pretty inexpensive service, as well.  You can even schedule the file downloads.  You should check it out.  It might be worth it for you.  I don't have it, myself, but a couple of people on here do, including @maratsade.  He seems to like it.  🙂  

maratsade

I'm a big fan of PlayOn Cloud.  I just recorded 2 seasons of a show (16 episodes total), all in HD.  Set it to  record, checked the next day and it was all done (without using my data), then downloaded the episodes (NOT during regular data times, or it would've eaten gigs and gigs), and now I have the files and can watch them and rewatch them whenever. No buffering, excellent picture.  The cost for all 16 episodes? $3.20.  

@maratsade wrote:

I'm a big fan of PlayOn Cloud........

Wow, you guys have finally convinced me!  Just in time for the last season of Game of Thrones, and I've got 18 days to learn how to use it.

maratsade

Please use the app, not the desktop version, as the latter uses data.  With the app, I think you get 5 free recording credits, which you may want to use to practice how this works.  You need to have accounts with the places you record from.  I have accounts with Netflix, Hulu, and Prime.  The app will have you login to your account, and then you can set it to record. 

Good news.  Install date was moved up from next Fri to next Wed.  Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Interested in the Playon.tv thing.  So I went to take a look.

Wouldn'tcha know....

This site can’t be reached

www.playon.tv took too long to respond.

I tried a couple of different links, several times.  No joy.

(No need to try to fix this, just amusing)

GabeU

@bos2420 

Something seems to be a bit goofy with their site today.  I just tried it and couldn't get on, though I had no issue during any previous time going there to research it.  I just tried again, and now it worked. 

I'd try it a few more times, though maybe wait a few minutes.  I don't know if the problem is with their site or if maybe there is an upstream provider issue when trying to access it.

maratsade

Working fine for me:

play-on.png

Is there a trick to getting the app on a Win10 laptop?  I can see how to get it for my phones.  I must be doing something wrong.  Can't find how to authorize my laptop with Google Play.  

(I don't use many (if any) apps on Win10)  Use em all the time on the phone.

OK, I just got in to the Play On Cloud website.  I guess what I need to do is this.....

Once that recording is complete, an .mp4 file will be ready for you to enjoy. You can download the recorded.mp4 video file from the PlayOn Cloud app onto your mobile device. We also email you a download link to the video so you can download it from anywhere onto any device or computer.

maratsade

That's right.  You set up the download (this is where they deduct the recording tokens from your account), and it works behind the scenes, in the cloud. You can just shut down the app and forget about it.  It records in real time (it's a DVR-like thing), so a 1 hour show will take 1 hour to record.  When the recording is done, you will get an email with a download link.  Unless you pay for storage, the recording will only be stored for 7 days.  If you lose the link or the email, you can use the app to get the email resent.  If the recording is no longer in storage, you have to re-record it. 

With the link, you can download to any device. I think to download to devices like iPhone or iPad you don't need the email, you do that from the app -- @BirdDog will know more about this.  I download from the link in the email to a flash drive. 

bos2420 wrote:

OK, I just got in to the Play On Cloud website.  I guess what I need to do is this.....

Once that recording is complete, an .mp4 file will be ready for you to enjoy. You can download the recorded.mp4 video file from the PlayOn Cloud app onto your mobile device. We also email you a download link to the video so you can download it from anywhere onto any device or computer.

maratsade

the app for the computer is a software package. You need to buy a license for it.  But be warned that the desktop version USES YOUR DATA.  Only the app version doesn't.  The desktop version is also very glitchy. 

bos2420 wrote:

Is there a trick to getting the app on a Win10 laptop?  I can see how to get it for my phones.  I must be doing something wrong.  Can't find how to authorize my laptop with Google Play.  

(I don't use many (if any) apps on Win10)  Use em all the time on the phone.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

IMO there really is no reason to get the Windows desktop app unless you have no Android or iOS device to setup and record videos. As has been stated, then you can get the download link and use your browser or DLM to do the download. No desktop app needed unless you have nothing else to access and setup and schedule the recording.

GabeU

@bos2420 

One other thing is that, if you'd like to schedule the file downloads, but you don't like the idea of leaving your PC on (I don't), or messing with trying to schedule the downloads to your PC, you can schedule the file download(s) to your Android or IOS device using the PlayOn Cloud app, then copy the files to your PC.  

BTW, don't forget to change the resolution on the app if you want it to be better than standard.  I'm fine with standard, which is DVD quality, but some people want it to be better, regardless of the increased file size for the program/movie.  I believe 720p is the maximum resolution, but that's still very good.  

If you try it and you like it, please let us know.  I'm still deciding whether to get it, though I probably will.  It's cheap, and lets you easily take advantage of the Bonus Zone data, and even those twenty days of data resets with your upgrade (make sure first, though, of course).  🙂