Dropbox and Data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robp1
Junior

Dropbox and Data

Finding that my expectations for internet are high. I use a ton of data for school, and my wife uses a ton for work. it has been a little over two years for us on Hughesnet. Now the first year was a total nightmare with equipment failing and (LOL) Falling off the house. I found most my help within the fourms as calling in was a total waste of time. With that being said, and all the service issues corrected, I have learned a few tweeks. I am on here today because I absolutly can not get my wifes dropbox account to work anymore.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. uninstalled and reinstalled

2. changed the bandwith settings

3. allowed full network speeds

4. (worked for two days) Alotted 2,500mbps download and 1,500mpbs upload

I am out of ideas. I have also tried to load from the browser (safari, chrome, and opera) I can't even get to the website via brower as the conection seems to not exist. I a feeling that this is not a Hughesnet issue, because we are forced to all work and play from home. I used Dropbox support and of course they blame hughesnet? What are your thoughts? 

Thanks,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Rob, they are aware of the Dropbox issue, and hopefully working on it.  Other things are failing too. 

The thought in some quarters is that it's an issue with the internet backbone, which is provided by CenturlyLink,and may be affecting the pathways between our individual user sites and the HN servers.  It's really not on your side, and there's really nothing you can do at the  moment.  Several of us are experiencing the same issues and have provided HN with a list of the sites that aren't working for us. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
maratsade

Rob, they are aware of the Dropbox issue, and hopefully working on it.  Other things are failing too. 

The thought in some quarters is that it's an issue with the internet backbone, which is provided by CenturlyLink,and may be affecting the pathways between our individual user sites and the HN servers.  It's really not on your side, and there's really nothing you can do at the  moment.  Several of us are experiencing the same issues and have provided HN with a list of the sites that aren't working for us. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Thank you for the info, I hope they can resolve it soon.

Anyone know status of fix for this issue? I've emailed customer service earlier this week and not heard response yet.  Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive all still being blocked for us as of this morning.

maratsade

Dorman, a fix will be announced as soon as they have one. 

Have you tried Google Drive and the others before 6 am?  They were working for me today, and as soon as 6:30-ish hit, they were gone.  I think  one of the things affecting them is congestion from so many people using them.  

Dorman1993 wrote:

Anyone know status of fix for this issue? I've emailed customer service earlier this week and not heard response yet.  Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive all still being blocked for us as of this morning.

I tried at 2:00 - 4:00 a.m. yesterday to see if it was congestion.  No cloud based storage worked either on apps or websites. I was able to fully access other websites, upgrade phone, etc.   I tried this morning 7:00 a.m. and all blocked.  My "work around" is to drive down the road and get on my phone hotspot... Hope this is figured out soon.

maratsade

The times I've tried this in the early morning, the sites work for me.  

Ha ha, I have used your workaround too.  I drove to an Xfinity hotspot a few times, but now we're under stay at home orders. 

Glad it's not just me.  I also have the Dropbox issue.  Google Drive is working, OneDrive is working, but not Dropbox, and not Mcafee.  Just can't get to the sites at all, no matter what browser.  When I take my phone off of wifi, and just use my data, I can access Dropbox just fine, but if I get on wifi, I can't.  This only seemed to start within the last couple of weeks, I used Dropbox on 3/26.

maratsade

It's a known issue and they're working on it. 

jbrewer wrote:

Glad it's not just me.  I also have the Dropbox issue.  Google Drive is working, OneDrive is working, but not Dropbox, and not Mcafee.  Just can't get to the sites at all, no matter what browser.  When I take my phone off of wifi, and just use my data, I can access Dropbox just fine, but if I get on wifi, I can't.  This only seemed to start within the last couple of weeks, I used Dropbox on 3/26.

We start another work week with cloud based apps still not working!  OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box blocked.  HughesNet email to all customers from 3/21 stated they " Prioritized Cloud based business applications to help people working from home".  All they did was break this.  How do we continue to work from home without this fixed?  

"They" didn't break anything that you know of. For the most part, the problem is with their internet provider, CenturyLink, who has limited access to those sites to a trickle - nationwide. I'm having the same problems outside of HughesNet, but under CenturyLink.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I pay HughesNet every month so "they" need to fix it.  It does not matter how far upstream "they" need to go and can be fixed and should be soon.  I would not mind a "trickle".  After all it is satellite internet but NO access regardless of time of day does not work.  No one else in my company have this issue with their ISP.  Phone hot spots have hit data caps. Customer service non responsive for 2nd week in a row

maratsade

"I pay HughesNet every month so "they" need to fix it."

And they're working on it. 

I've been trying to use dropbox for a couple of years with Hughesnet and it has never been reliable.  Hoping that it is solved soon.  

jbrewer
Freshman

As of this morning, 4/7, DROPBOX is working!!

maratsade

It usually works for me during off hours, then it stops. Ditto for Google Drive.

Your access may stop as more people around the country get on the network, so use it while the connection lasts. 

Do you have it on your computer?  This would allow you to work on your documents, and they would update your online account when the connection works. 

@jbrewer wrote:

As of this morning, 4/7, DROPBOX is working!!

Dropbox working on my Mac this morning (the app and website versions).

My wife is on Windows laptop and can access Google Drive too (she is a teacher so this is big relief).

Thank you to HughesNet and upstream folks to get this fixed!  Fingers crossed this is 100% resolved!

maratsade

Right now both are working for me too.  Yesterday both worked until around noon, then they both stopped working. They returned later, around 10pm. 

Dorman1993 wrote:

Dropbox working on my Mac this morning (the app and website versions).

My wife is on Windows laptop and can access Google Drive too (she is a teacher so this is big relief).

Thank you to HughesNet and upstream folks to get this fixed!  Fingers crossed this is 100% resolved!

Hi folks,

Thank you for confirming, glad to see this!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

12:30 PM 

Google Drive: check!

Dropbox: check!

YouTube: check!

iCloud: being a total rotter

jbrewer
Freshman

Dropbox isn't working again for me.