Frequent drops

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
infinitytec
Junior

Frequent drops

Our connection has been dropping quite often, especially today. I think this has been going on for a few days now, as I have had breif connectivity losses on a regular basis, but today it has been quite frustrating. I attached some screenshots to show what's been happening. The modem's lights twinkle quite a bit while the network is up, although sometimes it seems we loose connection even while the lights suggest otherwise (maybe it's just a breif loss?). At other times the sattelite link lights are completely down.

Here's a few of the thoughts I had:

Could there be a bunch of storms in the gateway's area? It has been clear here.

We have had some strong winds lately, and that may have misaligned the dish.

We do have tall trees in the area, but I think they are clear of the path of the dish.

I have not yet rebooted the router, but shall do after posting this. I will also make sure the dish is connected to it well.

Thanks for your help.

Screenshot_2018-06-11 HughesNet System Control Center(1).pngScreenshot_2018-06-11 HughesNet System Control Center.pngScreenshot_2018-06-11 HughesNet System Control Center(2).png

Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello

Thanks! I poked through some e-mails while waiting... I'm not particularly fond of referencing the weather, but there have been multiple reported weather-related degradations for your gateway (located in Omaha, NE) that would have caused slow or intermittent connectivity. 

These occurred in bursts on: June 10th, 11th, 15th, 17th, 18th and 19th. 

If you experience the issue again, please let me know and I can look into it.

Thanks,

Amanda

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@infinitytec

Storms at the gateway are possible, especially if your gateway is Billings, MT.  Lots of storms there today.  

What does it say for your Satellite Name and Beam ID in the Satellite box on the following page?  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

Edit:  I can tell you where your gateway is with that info.  

Edit 2:  Because he'd probably clobber me over the head if I didn't mention it, Corrosive has the Gateway info on his site, too.  Here's the link to the page that has it.  You have to look at a different spot in the System Control Center, but he gives a table of the gateways that will correspond with the info you see on the status page.  

His page...  https://chucksbasix.com/2017/10/06/how-to-find-your-hughesnet-gateway/#more-189

@GabeU

EchoStar-19-NAD

Beam 62

Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro

I belive 62 is Omaha, Nebraska.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

That's what I came up with.

GabeU

@infinitytec wrote:

@GabeU

EchoStar-19-NAD

Beam 62 

That's Omaha, NE, and right now it's even worse than Billings, MT.  I have no doubt that a major storm that has gone through has affected your service.  

Capture.JPG

And Bilings, MT has nothing to do with you.  I only mention it as that's the first place I saw on the map where they were having a storm and where I knew a gateway was.   I didn't notice Omaha when I first looked.   

That would make sense... but it seems to have been happening a lot... either there are a lot of storms there or there may be a problem...

Edit: I'll make sure I monitor Omaha's weather, so I'm not taken by surprise.

Probably the Air Force working on some secret weather control application... #kidding

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine

Actually, a major player in why we switched to HN was our previous ISP was practically down for two weeks. One of the potential culprits was a military radar.

GabeU

@infinitytec

If it's happening when there is no weather that should be affecting your gateway or your own location it's definitely a problem.  If/when it happens again, I would check to see if there is bad weather, and if not, I would definitely say something.  The reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to see if anything is amiss.  They may already do so when they see this thread.  If you don't already, it would probably be a good idea to leave your modem plugged in so that the reps can run said diagnostics.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  

Thanks!

I'll definitely keep the modem up for the reps to scan.

GabeU

@infinitytec

Just to be sure that they see this thread I'll tag a couple of the reps.  

@Liz

@Amanda

Hal
Alum

Hello Infinitytec,

Thank you for your patience and understanding. The other customers on this post are correct in saying that the service would be affected by the weather events surrounding the gateway. However, after running my diagnostic I noticed that you've run out of your data allowance. If you go to https://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=Usage and click view history you can see that the account runs out of data within the first 3 days, this would definitely be causing your speeds to be throttled throughout the month. If you need help managing your data usage please visit https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi....

@Hal

I am aware we have run out of data. However, oftentimes pages will not load and give an error such as a secure connection failure. Refreshing the page will bring it up. This will happen on multiple pages at once, so that's why I think it's a connection problem.

(The throttled connection is still faster than our connection to our old ISP!)

Edit: and to clear things up, I have this issue on multiple devices.

Hello Infinitytec, I was curious as you mentioned the pages give an error with secure connection failure, what kind of web pages are you on when this error occurs?

@Hal
Any site. After posting my previous post it also happened.

@Hal

I think was @infinitytec is referring to is the default page a browser gives you when a TLS handshake fails. Usually it returns a 'bad MAC' type of error indicating packets are getting scrambled or curtailed. If it's the same thing, I too have been seeing this on Beam 68 with a near-perfect, non-FAP connection. It's not particular to any time of day but may be aggravated by increased load in the evening.

I'll try to post a picture of the error.

I should note that Level3 has been having issues upstream from 068 as noted from traceroutes, so it's quite possible it's either them or the connection between the gateway and them in my case.

Hi infinitytec,

I'll be handling this issue for you going forward. Are you still having trouble? Can you provide a website or two as an example so I can try it out on the unit here? Feel free to PM them to me if you prefer that way. A specific make/model of device would be good to know also. I know you say it happens on any site and any device, but it helps to get some specifics. 

Thanks,

Amanda

@Amanda

It doesn't seem to be happening as much now. It seems to have stabilized quite a bit.

As for websites, I can find no rhyme or reason to them. Any sites loading at the time of the drop will display the error.

The devices I have been monitoring for it are a Windows 10 Pro desktop (self-built) and my Galaxy S8.