Hughesnet and Amazon

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SFXPHIL
Freshman

Hughesnet and Amazon

So its been a couple of days since Hughesnet was installed in my home and to say I'm not impressed is an understatement, Gen5 is supposed to be fast, well it's no way as fast as Verizon's 4LT service. I would say about 50% speed wise. The usage widget that I downloaded is insane and goes up and down like a yoyo, so you don't really know how much bandwidth you are using?

But the most annoying thing is how Hughesnet blocks Amazon. I have tried dozens of time to access my account and always get the same answer "Server is busy" this is obviously not true as I can connect using the Verizon system and my cell phone, both of which have never had an issue connecting to Amazon. I reached out to Amazon who confirmed they have zero server issues. So what gives ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@SFXPHIL

Could you please try disabling Web-Acceleration for us and let us know if that works for you?  Also, when you use Chrome (if that's possible) what error message do you get in that?  Chrome usually provides a description that can be used.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try browsing the website.

View solution in original post

Good morning folks,

Just got an update from engineering that this should be fixed. If you have made any changes to your system while troubleshooting this, please revert to your original settings before the issue occurred and let us know how it goes.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Can you get us a screenshot of the error that's happening when you try to log into your account?  I am able to log into mine with zero issues.

Sure here you goscreen shot Amazon july27-17.jpg

Just to see what happens i tried to open the Verizon website and Time Warner now Spectrum same thing happening, same message. Looks to me like Hughesnet is deliberatly blocking sites that are in some way connected to internet services or streaming video ?

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

" Looks to me like Hughesnet is deliberatly blocking sites that are in some ........."

Looks to me like your browser is timing out.

Suggestions:

Try a different browser

Try disabling Web Acceleration

Already tried Firefox, Chrome and Safari. Same exact results. Anyway im not sure why i have to change browsers because Hughesnet is blocking sites? And your correct every time i try to access the sites via Hughesnet they time out and ive tried dozens and dozens of times. Access using my iphone on Verizon or my LG phone that uses Straight Talk, get through without issue or delay ? Plus the download / upload is no faster than Gen3 which is why i switched to Verizon 3 years ago. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@SFXPHIL

Hughesnet isn't deliberately blocking sites.  

Try clearing your browser cache.  

You could try changing your DNS settings to Google's servers and see if that makes any difference.  

First thing i tried and have since cleared the cash and restarted the modem dozens of times. Still exact same message. I still have Verizon working side by side with Hughesnet and no issues with Verison no matter which browser i use .

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@SFXPHIL

Could you please try disabling Web-Acceleration for us and let us know if that works for you?  Also, when you use Chrome (if that's possible) what error message do you get in that?  Chrome usually provides a description that can be used.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try browsing the website.

Thanks for the help, i will try this and report back

Well, I disabled Web Acceleration and was able to open Amazon but notice an increase in my data usage ?  I also found that if you try to open Amazon quickly 6-10 times it will eventually load while keeping web accelerator enabled. Thanks very much for your input, I am still puzzled as to why this issue has not been addressed as Amazon is probably the largest and arguably the most visited site on the web ?

Again thanks for the help

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

So far, I think you are one of the only ones to have reported the issue... @Liz may need to do diagnostics and see what she can do on her end since it seems to be on Hughes end if WAS being disabled makes it easier to access Amazon.

Hi SFXPHIL,

Thanks for posting and working with C0RR0SIVE on getting Amazon to load. Your thread caught the eye of an engineer and inquired about your account. I'll post back once we have any updates or instructions for you from the engineer. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

So far, I think you are one of the only ones to have reported the issue... @Liz may need to do diagnostics and see what she can do on her end since it seems to be on Hughes end if WAS being disabled makes it easier to access Amazon.

Actually, I finally experienced the Amazon issue yesterday.  No system in the house could connect.  Shutdown of all and unplugging the modem for a bit did not change the issue ion reboot.  Amazon would not work.  So I adjusted my DNS to the 8.8.8.8 and now Amazon works.

TJ

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The key is the error code in the browser...  OP was getting a Server Connection Reset error, where as a DNS error will be something like DNS Probe Failure, or similar.

Actually, a Server Connection Reset could mean it was trying to connect to the wrong server (even for a sub connection like a css or js applet) and failed.

Edit: Check that... I just went to Amazon and their page changed a bit. Haven't check the internals, but it could mean there's cached information somewhere that's no longer valid and it keeps trying to connect using that instead of refreshing... I'm assuming that could be partly an Accelerator issue or a problem at the CDN as well.

I know if we (DailyCannon) have to update an already published article, we usually (but not always) have to burp the CDN cache in order for the page to be correct.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm, true, however, someone would have to be doing a lot of DNS poisoning somewhere to affect so many.

EDIT: Since Mark likes to make edits... >.>!!!!

Amazon appears the same as always for me?

Hi folks,

Our engineers are evaluating a recommendation to help address this. Once we have any other news to share we'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Good morning folks,

Just got an update from engineering that this should be fixed. If you have made any changes to your system while troubleshooting this, please revert to your original settings before the issue occurred and let us know how it goes.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

I tried this and it didn't work.  Has the cause of this problem been determined?

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Anyway im not sure why i have to change browsers because Hughesnet is blocking sites?"

Your assertion is baseless, as Hughesnet does not block sites.  Something may be fouled up with your network; maybe it is the modem, or maybe it is your computer, or maybe it is something else.   If it works with Verizon, then it may be something with the network, like the modem needs to be rebooted to clear stuff.