Low download high upload

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
capnzathrus
Sophomore

Low download high upload

During throttled time, I usually get about 2+mbps download and 1mbps upload.

For the last several days, download has been about .40 to 1mbps and 4mbps upload.

I have contacted tech support with no positive results and this low download is really

causing a problem. What can i do?? I have the Gen5 new modem HT2000W.

I have been repeatedly told that it is because my high speed allotment is exhausted,

but I know this is not the cause. During this time, I normally have higher speeds with

no lag in things like facebook and viewing videos.

A few weeks ago, a tech had to replace the radio transmitter on the dish.

I also had the modem replaced.

I have a SQF of 104, so i know i have a good signal.

I have re-installed a few times. No help.

http://testmy.net/db/SzoWZRPtd.A4K0W6eDf

http://testmy.net/db/nTj54pYvI

http://testmy.net/db/x2r6AhHS0.NjvBQhyYI

http://testmy.net/db/3CacvD1th.iAFS3bmjT

http://testmy.net/db/8yc1TjdNX.E5bC7n8KT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
capnzathrus
Sophomore

Don't need a rep to answer this, anymore. Just spoke to phone rep for the last time I'm going to try. Apparantly, hughesnet does not care if your internet drops to the point you can not browse at all after your paid allowance is exhausted. They have no interest in making adjustments, unless you can afford to pay for more data allowance. I have been with Hughesnet for a couple years, and have never been treated this way. Someone always took care of the issue before I upgraded to Gen5. Now, I have to find another internet service that actually cares when the customer has an issue. I have suggested Hughesnet to many people. I will, now, have to tell them exactly what is going on and will have them tell everyone they know.

To all you people whao have nothing better to do than hang out in Hughesnet tech support and criticise, make suggestions and get gold stars from the reps.....

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@capnzathrus,  I'm sure someone will give you better instructions, but I think people here will want a bit more info from you, such as what modem you're using, whether you're Gen4 or Gen5 or something else, and whether you have run speed tests (using Testmy.net).  They may want a link to the tests too, so if you don't have an account with Testmy, you should create one.

Gen5 new modem HT2000w. And as far as speed tests, how would I know what my speeds are if i hadn't run them?

maratsade

OK, so you ran some tests.  Did you use Testmy?  Would you care to share a link to your results?

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

GabeU

@capnzathrus

When you say "throttled time", are you speaking of peak usage time, like in the evenings when there are a lot of people on, or throttled as in FAP, when you have run out of data?  When the reps mentioned that the cause of the slow speeds was you being in FAP, were they checking your account to be sure of that or were they just surmising that your low speed could be caused by that?    

And, as mentioned at the beginning of the test instructions posted by Corrosive, it would be a good idea to run the speed tests under an account you create at testmy.net so that you only have to post your results URL.  It also helps to be able to look at all of the test results in one place instead of each result separately.  

rmadigan55
New Poster

1. Will using a VPN alter any readings?   I know Hughesnet doesn't recommend using a VPN but we have no choice.  We have to use one for my wife's work.  Could we better speeds using an Ethernet cable?  We have Gen5 with their Wi-Fi modem.   I'll have my wife test it at the testmy website tonight.
GabeU

@rmadigan55 wrote:
  1. Will using a VPN alter any readings?   I know Hughesnet doesn't recommend using a VPN but we have no choice.  We have to use one for my wife's work.  Could we better speeds using an Ethernet cable?  We have Gen5 with their Wi-Fi modem.   I'll have my wife test it at the testmy website tonight.

If you are speaking of altering readings as in speed, using a VPN can, and almost surely will, have a negative effect on your speeds.

You may be able to get better speeds with a LAN connection, but that would really depend on whether you were already getting degraded speeds, in general, due to using WiFi.  If you're asking whether, regarding speed in general, a LAN connection is better for a VPN than a WiFi connection, I doubt it, but then I've never used a VPN, so I can't say with any certainty.  I do know that, again, in general, as long as the overall speed of the two connections is the same I've not seen any difference in the programs I've used when concerning a LAN vs WiFi connection.      

capnzathrus
Sophomore

How long does it take for an actual Hughesnet rep to look at these questions?

GabeU

@capnzathrus wrote:

How long does it take for an actual Hughesnet rep to look at these questions?

Sometimes it can take a few days as they are a very busy bunch.  But, they also may be waiting on some speed test results as outlined by Corrosive.  They will need the results, as outlined, to verify the problem and to see what may be causing it, as the speed tests can sometimes point to the cause of the issue.  

I will tag the reps.  @Liz @Amanda  

capnzathrus
Sophomore

Don't need a rep to answer this, anymore. Just spoke to phone rep for the last time I'm going to try. Apparantly, hughesnet does not care if your internet drops to the point you can not browse at all after your paid allowance is exhausted. They have no interest in making adjustments, unless you can afford to pay for more data allowance. I have been with Hughesnet for a couple years, and have never been treated this way. Someone always took care of the issue before I upgraded to Gen5. Now, I have to find another internet service that actually cares when the customer has an issue. I have suggested Hughesnet to many people. I will, now, have to tell them exactly what is going on and will have them tell everyone they know.

To all you people whao have nothing better to do than hang out in Hughesnet tech support and criticise, make suggestions and get gold stars from the reps.....

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS.

GabeU

@capnzathrus

Well, you're going to get a reply, anyway.

No one criticized you.  We take the time out of our day to help people get the most out of their service, and that includes helping people to not only resolve their issue(s), but also helping people to get a start in resolving those issues that the reps must handle, like peforming speed tests that are needed by the reps to address the issue.  

Hughesnet DOES care about the performance of your service, but it takes active participation from you to resolve it.  If you can't do what is asked of you to begin that process there is nothing that can be done for you.

The Hughesnet Community and the Hughesnet Customer Service (phone) are two diffferent avenues of receiving help.    

I'm sorry you're giving up.  Good luck to you.  

I am experiencing exactly the same issue for the last few days and, I think, it is a bug in the software, that is HNet Speed Test. I have GEN5 and HT2000W modem. My download is .98 Mbps and upload 3.28 Mbps. 

Testmy.net shows result for download as 26 Mbps, and upload 2.1 Mbps. 

Unfortunately, tech support people at HNet are superfically trained and aren't capable to detect and troubleshoot the issue. I tried 2 of them and both of them are just going through a typical protocol, including rebooting the modem, which is useless. They should report the issue to their management, instead. I am not sure they would do it as some of them are georgraphically and time zone far removed, or their protocol doesn't provide that option. 

GabeU

@ZPHughes

There are known issues on a few beams that Hughesnet is presently working to fix.  It's possible that you are on one of those beams (there are a few posts regarding this in the tech support section).

You can find your beam in the "Satellite" box on the following page...  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

If you are not on one of those beams, it would be a good idea for you to create a new topic to address your issue.