Modem connected to Outroute ID 7...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Modem connected to Outroute ID 7...

Starting last evening my speeds were quite low, especially when compared to normal.  They slowly picked back up starting around 11PM and got back to normal by midnight, but after a few modem resets it's still connecting through Outroute ID 7, and as far as I know this is not normal and may indicate a problem.  The speed issues are highly unusual for me, and even on the rare occasion that my speed drops during peak usage times it's a very small drop.  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

Though I may not be on during the day tomorrow (Tuesday), and though I usually power the modem off when I'm not using it, I will leave the modem on.  My LAN connected desktop will be off and I will turn off both WiFi radios just to be safe, but I will leave the modem on in case it needs to be looked at remotely.  

This evening, and presently, it has been partly cloudy at both my location and my gateway's location.  Signal strength is excellent, at 112.  No packet loss and no diagnostic issues.  Other than the earlier speed issues, all seems to be well.  Just the Outroute ID 7 issue.    

Thanks.  

Capture.JPG

P.S.  I know that there are more pressing matters at present, so I completely understand if this isn't looked at for a few days.  It's also possible that by then it will be back to normal.  In addtion, I will update to reflect such if it is back to normal when I am next online (probably Tuesday evening).  Thanks again.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
10 REPLIES 10
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

man, your speeds I can only dream of.  

Sure hope I see those some-day.

So far its been all about slow for me on beam 55 outroute 7.

Every now and then I see a 20Mbps and I get excited... then reality hits and I am back down in the 1Mbps to 5Mbs range... maybe 10 to 15Mbps if lucky but then I run another test and back down to the 2 to 3s.  

It has been depressing for us for sure.

TJ

GabeU

Update:

A couple of slow tests tonight, but overall my speed was normal.  

Still on Outroute ID 7.  Restarted modem at around 4PM and 11PM.  Will leave on again. 

GabeU

Update:

Back to normal, and my speeds are not an issue.  Now on Outroute ID 2.  I should have just given it a few days in the first place, and my speeds were fine a few hours after originally creating this thread.  And, really, with the exception of the short live, mild speed issue, the Outroute ID 7 thing didn't cause any problems.  Talk about jumping the gun.  Derp!  SMH.   

giphy.gif

Now, if Facebook could only figure out why they've crashed for millions of people.  😛  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

there's actually nothing wrong with 7. It just doesn't have the same capacity as the others with roughly half the bw and half the signal symbol rate.

Edit: I exaggerated. It's actually closer to 64%.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

there's actually nothing wrong with 7. It just doesn't have the same capacity as the others with roughly half the bw and half the signal symbol rate.

Edit: I exaggerated. It's actually closer to 64%.

Which begs me to ask, why do they put new customer on Outroute ID 7 then if the speeds are not as fast as others?  I was placed on 7, new customer about 2 weeks now, and I am one of the beam 55ers that have barely any internet.  Comes and goes...  Comes in morning (although not this morning) and the dies afternoon into evening.

Is the beam 55 at fault or is the Outroute ID 7 the issue?  And if one can adjust it at Hughes on the fly, why would they not try placing some of us on a different Outroute to see what happens.

I am getting only 1 to 2 Mbps this AM where in the last week, at least I was 5Mbps to 10Mbps until afternoon where then it died off and slowed to a crawl.

Today is a crawl from the get-go.

TJ

I always thought it was an automatic system, where the outroute with the least amount of usage is chosen upon gateway association.

The fact that it would go to what I would perceive to be a backup outroute... dunno.

That said, not sure you'd necessarily see a lower speed or more congestion on a path with 64% of the bandwidth/symbol rate unless it truly was loaded down with other users.

Keep in mind when I say 64% of the symbol rate, we're talking only 150 Msymbols per second versus 235. That's still 37.5MBytes (not bits) per second using a best of 4 redundancy forward error correction, if my math is correct.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine

I only noticed the Outroute ID 7 thing after performing a speed test and, other than when there was a wide issue a few months back for a couple of hours, my speed was lowest it had ever been with Gen5.  I occasionally see peak usage time slowdowns, but they are very slight.  This was down in the single digits.  While that's still a decent speed for anything other than HD streaming (the speed was enough, but it was a "choppy" speed), it was a little alarming.  I then looked to see what was going on and saw the Outroute ID had changed to 7.  

I knew that it wasn't really a pressing matter, though, and more of a curiosity than anything else.   The speeds last night were low for a short time again, but picked back up much more quickly.  And, of course, they're fine, now.  

I have no clue what the Outroute ID codes are.  Is there a list saying what each code means?   I never bothered to look at them and see if mine ever changed because I had no idea what they were for. 

Mine is currently showing 4  I am not sure what it normally is or what it should be.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

...didn't I say if you get thrown onto 7 due to weather that you could be on it for a few days? >.>?

Yes, you did.  But this had nothing to do with weather, neither at my location or at the gateway.  At most it was partly cloudy at either location, including through to the previous evening of this starting.  

Strange that I didn't get any notifications of replies since updating this thread earlier today, including on this site itself.  Nothing on the upper right to indicate anyone replied.  Very odd.  Hmmm.  

Update:  I do now remember that the previous evening I had some weather related connection issues, so this may very well have been when it switched to Outroute ID 7.