cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem doesn't connect to internet

New Poster

Modem doesn't connect to internet

I can access the modem via IP (192.168.42.1), but not via systemcontrolcenter.com. No internet connection when connected (via WiFi or direct ethernet cable), and the "system" light on the front of the modem is not on. I've powered it off (unplugged for 10 minutes) and also used the "reboot" feature in the control panel. Anything else I should try before concluding the modem is shot? Is there any chance this is anything other than a modem failure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Modem doesn't connect to internet

Hi GerryS,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I pulled up your account and am also unable to communicate with your modem, so let try replacing it first to see if that gets you back online. 

Please expect a replacement modem soon. You can return your old modem in the box the replacement comes in; there will be a return shipping label in the outer pouch for your convenience.

Let me know how the new modem works out for you.

Thanks,
Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Associate Professor

how about 192.168.0.1... x.x.42.1 is the wifi router subsection.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
New Poster

I can't connect via 192.168.0.1

Highlighted
Associate Professor

That's not good, but if you can't connect to 192.168.0.1, then how are you able to get access to the wifi menu on 192.168.42.1, since it has to go through it? Is 192.168.0.1 set as your gateway in your internet settings?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Come ot think of it, x.x.42.1 will work as the gateway. Wondering if the modem's interface software is running. Might want to reboot the modem to kick-start the internal software and see if you can access it afterwards (might want to wait 5 minutes after rebooting while it re-aquires and gets updates from the network).

Highlighted
New Poster

When I go to 192.168.1.42, I get a login screen and just log in there. In ipconfig, the default gateway shows as 192.168.1.42.

Highlighted

Hi GerryS,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I pulled up your account and am also unable to communicate with your modem, so let try replacing it first to see if that gets you back online. 

Please expect a replacement modem soon. You can return your old modem in the box the replacement comes in; there will be a return shipping label in the outer pouch for your convenience.

Let me know how the new modem works out for you.

Thanks,
Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Sophomore

Liz,  I have the same problem and I have requested a new modem and have not heard back.   Right now i work in a tax preperation office and I cannot meet with a technician until after April 15th. I would love to purchase a new modem.  Can you help me with that?  Thank you.  Debbie Poston

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

Debbie, for your protection, you may want to edit out your SAN# from your post. The reps here can find info without you posting it; if they need anything they will ask you to send it privately.  To edit your post, click on the 3 vertical dots on the upper right hand corner of the post. 

Highlighted
Sophomore

Thank you so much for letting me know.