Hughesnet Community

Modem lights are not on and internet has been down for a week.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tinkerbell7
Freshman

Modem lights are not on and internet has been down for a week.

Our internet has been down for a week. The modem only has the power light and wi-fi lights on. I have called and talked to customer service try to fix the issue and am currently waiting for a eather net cable to come in to call back to get more help with the issue. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Tinkerbell7,

I believe the best course of action is to send a technician to your home to repair the system. It is possible that the Wi-Fi modem, coaxial cable or radio transmitter could be causing this problem and that is just too many factors to have you wait around for a replacement modem. I'll schedule it for the next available date, but the technician's office will call or text you to confirm the appointment. The original appointment is set for tomorrow, June 6th between 8-11AM

Thank you,

Amanda

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tinkerbell7

That's definitely not the norm.  While inclement weather at one's gateway can affect the service in the same way as weather at one's own location, it's only temporary, so you definitely have something else going on.   

The reps that monitor this site are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  They'll assuredly be able to help you.  In order to help them to be able to do so, please make sure to leave your modem plugged in so that they can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  

Did the phone reps recommend that you get an Ethernet cable so that you could connect directly rather than via WiFi?  Is the idea that, once you get the cable and connect it, they're going to help to further troubleshoot the issue?  

The reason I ask the above question is that, although an Ethernet cable connection can definitely help to better connect for troubleshooting purposes, it's almost assuredly not going to fix the issue you're experiencing.  

A couple of things, just in case this was not suggested by a phone rep.  If you have not already done so, please make sure that the coax cable connector at the back of the modem is finger tight.  It doesn't need to be tighter than that, but it shouldn't be loose.  Also, be sure that the power plug going into the back of the modem is snug.  It's delicate, so be careful, but at least make sure that it's all the way in.  Also, if they didn't instruct you to try this, you can try power cycling the modem, which is unplugging it, waiting for at least 30 seconds, then plugging it back in.  After plugging it back in, it can take a couple of minutes for it to finish starting, and another couple of minutes fo it to be fully operational.  

Again, I'm sure the reps will see this thread and help you.  I'll tag them just to be sure.  Sorry you're dealing with this.  😞  

@Liz

@Amanda

@Hal

@Wade

@Jorge 

Yes the CSR on the phone did suggest I call back when I can with the eather net cable so they can trouble shoot further. The internet was working fine last Monday morning when we left the house around 9 and then when we came home around 1:30-2 it was out and has not worked since.
Amanda

Hello Tinkerbell7,

If the Wi-Fi light is on you may still be able to connect to the modem to get us some diagnostic information. Can you connect a device to your HughesNet service and browse to http://192.168.0.1 ?

My phone gives me a message telling me internet is not available with hugesnet and won't let me connect with any website not even that one unfortunately.

Hi Tinkerbell7,

I believe the best course of action is to send a technician to your home to repair the system. It is possible that the Wi-Fi modem, coaxial cable or radio transmitter could be causing this problem and that is just too many factors to have you wait around for a replacement modem. I'll schedule it for the next available date, but the technician's office will call or text you to confirm the appointment. The original appointment is set for tomorrow, June 6th between 8-11AM

Thank you,

Amanda

Thank you. The guy fixed our internet. It was a bad modem which we had nothing to do with we were gone when it happened will we be charged extra for the new modem? If so how much should I buget? Keep in mind the man took the bad ine with him.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tinkerbell7

I doubt very much that you'll be charged for the modem, but Amanda (or another mod) will tell you for sure. 

Glad it's working for you again.  🙂  

We are too. Thank you very much!

Hi Tinkerbell7,

You will not be charged for the replacement  or the visit 🙂 Have a good weekend!

~Amanda

Thank you! You too! ☺