Slow download speed day four

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
todreich
Freshman

Slow download speed day four

I have coem to this forum in the hopes of reaching someone who an assist me in reaching someone who can troubleshoot this isue with me live or provide a technical explanation for the speeds I am seeing. This is day four for me. In this time I have spent six and half hours on the phone and four hours with installers wihtout reaching even the 3 Mbps throttled speed advertised. 

https://testmy.net/db/_iMaI6HM5.JT~TYN_hs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi todreich,

Since I've addressed your concerns via PM I'll go ahead and close this thread. Feel free to start a new one should you have any other concerns.

Thanks!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You've come to the right place, but to have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Thank you that reply. I have followed those steps. I have over 30 tests run in last fours days. How would you like the data from those tests?

@maratsade wrote:

You've come to the right place, but to have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

maratsade

Please post the URL to your Testmy.net's "My Results" page. 

EDIT: here's your URL: https://testmy.net/quickstats/dwilliford

Your test sizes are incorrect -- please read the instructions for how to run the tests; otherwise they won't be accepted for troubleshooting. 

Hey, thank you for the reply. I am going back and trying again. I think that the documentation at https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/how-check-your-speed-performance is out of date a bit? The documentation and the testmt.net site do not appear match?

I have run two more tests selecting "Download" and "manual selction 25 MB".  Is this appropriate?

maratsade

These are the instructions here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Just follow those and you'll be all right. 

Cool. I have read those and I think that I am on the right track. The last few tests put me in the range (about 3Mbps) that tech support was seeing on my last call. This is wonderful.

It would be helpful to me to better undertsand why a 25 MB downlaod chunk (which multithreading enabled) is showing greater speeds than the automated test. Maybe it's because of burst transmision over multiple threads? I don't know. I am just guessing at that based on what I saw for single thread downloads which seemed ot have a single spike along the downloard timeline and zero else. What resources are available that describe how Hughesnet handles traffic?  

Now I am closer to being on the same page! 

Are you able, from your end to detect anything that would indicate in my last tests that point toward possible issues? (It is not clear what resources you have at your disposal) 

Thank you! 

maratsade

The HughesNet staff on this site will be back tomorrow. They're here during business hours, M-F.  They can run remote diagnostics on your modem to see if something's amiss. 

Cool beans. This exchange has been fruitful. I thank you for this. I am off to bed, I hope the rest of your evening is wonderful!

Until tomorrow!   : )

Good morning todreich, 

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thanks for working with the community so far with those speed tests. I'd like to run diagnostics on your site to ensure the HughesNet equipment is working normally, so please private message (PM) me your account number (SAN) or the phone number associated with the account.

What prompted you to run speed tests in the first place? Were you trying to stream? Do general web browsing?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hey Liz,

Will do! PM heading your way. : )

EDIT: I like to baseline service when I start them. When I got home the first thing I did was log into the modem, shut off wifi, and start running speed tests. As it turns out I was running the tests incorrectly so my results were skewed badly. This was compounded by one device being able to surf, but once more devices were added the available bandwidth was insufficient for any activity. This was way below the behaviour I was expecting so I I went trying to see what was happening. Fortunately I wound up here and found a more expressive and informative support.

I got your message, todreich, thanks! Please check your PMs.

-Liz

Hi todreich,

Since I've addressed your concerns via PM I'll go ahead and close this thread. Feel free to start a new one should you have any other concerns.

Thanks!

-Liz

I've always noticed that acceleration from the gateway seems to work faster over time on average. This is mainly because of the initial 5-600ms delay(s - multiple, depending upon how many hits are needed to get started). This becomes mathematically more negligible for longer downloads as the speed of the actual download is much faster than the initial delay.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hey MarkJFine,

This makes sense to me and seems reasonable given the way Hughesnet appears ot handle traffic.