cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaidog
Freshman

Slow, dropping connection, state code 12.9.1

Hello everyone!

We have noticed that our connection speeds have degraded precipitously. I thought it might be weather until this week, when our skies have been clear and lively. I opened our HT2000W modem and noticed I was getting the 12.9.1 state code. The hourly diagnostics were indicating problems with Web Acceleration/Uplink. I think that explains the many response timeouts we have been getting.

I’ve tried everything I can think of to reset the modem, including ...

- rebooted the modem using the reset button on the box;
- rebooted the modem via the system control center in a browser window;
- hard rebooted the modem - I.e., unplugged power/coax from the modem, waited 60 seconds, then plugged in again (coax, then power),
- re-registered the modem (via the ‘Advanced config’ page),
- turned web acceleration on and off,
- reset the MBX connection.

The system resets and works for a few minutes, then the 12.9.1 uplink code reappears and it all goes pear-shaped again.

I also called Hughes twice, too. I did the same things under the direction of two of their techs. I believe the techs did some resetting on their end, too, but none of the resets are sticking.

The WiFi is working fine & LAN speed test is giving me 165-170 Mbps. I’ve tried to run a speed test at test my.net but the connection keeps dropping, so not feasible. I can’t even run Hughes’ speed test because our internet connection is so bad.

Is there anything else I can/should try? I am thinking it’s a bum modem and Hughes needs to send me a new one?

Thank you for any insight you might have!

Kaidog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A very nice and knowledgeable Hughes tech came out yesterday morning. He adjusted the antenna and reset the modem. Download performance and signal improved. However, upload performance remained terrible. I looked at him and said, ‘Transmitter?’ He agreed it was worth a shot and popped a new radio into the dish.After nearly a month of our drops and resets and timeouts, everything is working astoundingly well. It’s like a completely new system. I think the radio must have been sputtering out for a while, even though we’ve only had the service since April.

I really appreciate the responsiveness, particularly after the multiple runs with tech support. My 89 year mom has dementia and calls us obsessively when she is agitated, usually first thing in the morning. It was *great* to pick up the landline when she called today and talj her out of her confusion... rather than ignoring the phone & trying to call her back on my work cell, which is iffy at best in our mountainous area.

THANK YOU Felicia for breaking the logjam. You are the best! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@kaidog 

First and foremost, please do not use the reset button on the modem unless instructed to do so by a rep.  Doing so can cause more harm than good.  Also, please do not re-register the modem unless instructed to by a rep.  These two things are not meant to be user friendly options, and are only meant to be performed under the direction of a HughesNet representative, like they instructed you to do while on the phone.

A rep will most likely want to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, so make sure to leave the modem plugged in.  A 12.1.9 state code can have a few causes, but the remote diagnostics will help point to the next step the rep needs to take, whether it be more troubleshooting, a modem replacement or a tech visit.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though there is sometimes one on during the evening.  If you don't get a reply from one this evening, you probably will tomorrow.

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I DID do those things under the direction of a rep. Twice. Two different reps.

It’s quite frustrating. I was on the phone with them for over two hours. The first rep had me do all the resets and re-registration. Then the line dropped and no one called back. I had to call Hughes back and start over with a second rep. He did diagnostics and resets on his end, after which my system hung for a half-hour while he told me to just wait, it would come back. After 30 minutes on hold, he had me unplug and re-plug everything and assured me it would be fine. As soon as I got off the phone, dead again.

I’m *not* thrilled with Hughes. I’m considering paying the early termination fee and dumping them completely. We don’t stream media, and frankly I get better internet from my Verizon phone.
GabeU

@kaidog wrote:
I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I DID do those things under the direction of a rep. Twice. Two different reps.

That's fine.  I misunderstood and thought that you had performed those actions on your own, then did so again, but with the second time being under the direction of the phone reps, or vice versa.  Thank you for the clarification.  

Edit:  The reps you'll deal with here are corporate based reps.  These reps also have direct access to the engineers, so if they aren't able to determine the cause of a problem, they're able to contact those who can.  It's a different, and better (in my opinion), avenue of receiving help.  🙂   

I realize my wording wasn’t clear. I’m entering this on my Verizon phone because I can’t wait for an indeterminate amount of time for Hughes page to maybe load (but probably not).

Also, you might take up your ‘don’t do that’ scolding with Hughes’ we sit content developers. For example, they advise frustrated customers like myself to use the reset button. Perhaps they need to correct their content... I do UX design and typically it’s a Bad Idea to tell users to take an action that degrades their system.

https://www.hughesnetinternet.net/reset-your-hughesnet-modem/
GabeU

@kaidog wrote:
I realize my wording wasn’t clear. I’m entering this on my Verizon phone because I can’t wait for an indeterminate amount of time for Hughes page to maybe load (but probably not).

Also, you might take up your ‘don’t do that’ scolding with Hughes’ we sit content developers. For example, they advise frustrated customers like myself to use the reset button. Perhaps they need to correct their content... I do UX design and typically it’s a Bad Idea to tell users to take an action that degrades their system.

https://www.hughesnetinternet.net/reset-your-hughesnet-modem/

It wasn't a scolding.  It was a warning to keep you safe.  And I agree with your example of the site, as not only does it not give any reason for the instructions, it also does not give the proper procedure for doing so.  That site contains the kind of instructions that will get someone in trouble, and I will be sure to let them know that it should be addressed.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear this is happening. I have run some diagnostics on your account, and I can see there is a bad alignment, and some issues with the modem. I have set up for a tech to come out at the first available date. Please see your private messages for further assistance. 

Thanks,

Felicia

Thank you, Felicia.  I'll check my messages now.   We've noticed that we get lots of drops on our phone line - that started around Christmas, and it is just getting worse.  We've quit using it.   Fortunately I've got a Verizon work phone and that has kept us in contact, but I can't use that for personal business.  

FWIW - I ran some tests last night and this morning with TMN.   YES, I realize that the benchmark qua benchmark is invalidated by the confounding influence of WiFi, but I live 40 miles from the nearest Best Buy and I don't have a spare network cable.  Anyway, I think the figures of merit are a) the abysmal upload performance and b) the delta between the upload and download rates.    

Not sure what's going on, but perhaps there's an issue with the modem... that's where the techs seemed to think the issue was, and heaven knows they had me do everything they could think of.  But I also wonder if the radio isn't transmitting properly.  

I did check all the obvious stuff - triple checked the connections, there's no snow on the dish, it was sunny yesterday, etc., etc. 

Thanks.

tmn results.jpg

A very nice and knowledgeable Hughes tech came out yesterday morning. He adjusted the antenna and reset the modem. Download performance and signal improved. However, upload performance remained terrible. I looked at him and said, ‘Transmitter?’ He agreed it was worth a shot and popped a new radio into the dish.After nearly a month of our drops and resets and timeouts, everything is working astoundingly well. It’s like a completely new system. I think the radio must have been sputtering out for a while, even though we’ve only had the service since April.

I really appreciate the responsiveness, particularly after the multiple runs with tech support. My 89 year mom has dementia and calls us obsessively when she is agitated, usually first thing in the morning. It was *great* to pick up the landline when she called today and talj her out of her confusion... rather than ignoring the phone & trying to call her back on my work cell, which is iffy at best in our mountainous area.

THANK YOU Felicia for breaking the logjam. You are the best! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Laura,

I am so glad to hear that you are up running better than before! It was definitely a pleasure helping you out. Thank you so much for your patience and for the compliment! If you ever need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. 

Thanks,

Felicia