Slow or dropping connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrCRJP
Freshman

Slow or dropping connection

Hello.. For the last couple of days, we've been seeing seriously degraded performance from our Hughesnet connection. Last night, I had a yellow light on the diagnostics page due to a 30.1.1 state error. I went and reset the MBX connection multiple times, rebooted the modem from the Admin web interface several times, and power cycled the modem a few times. Eventually, it cleared the 30.1.1 error, but our speeds are still consistently very slow. Most websites and apps on our phones are timing out, and podcasts would fail to download this morning during the Bonus Zone time. We've had some snow here lately, but there's nothing on the dish itself.

I had previously had the modem plugged into the battery backed outlet of a true sinewave UPS, and just recently plugged it straight into the wall when I repurposed the UPS. I don't think that should be causing the problems, but perhaps our power needed the conditioning provided by the UPS? That's about the only thing I can think of which might cause the problem.

Is there any way one of the moderators could have corporate ping our device to see whether there's an adjustment needed? I'm happy to provide any input from this end.. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning MrCRJP,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. I also just ran diagnostics on your site and everything looks fine. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Ok, thank you. This morning, I was able to browse text websites a bit, but was unable to even load a speed test site, or download a podcast. I saw 30-40% packet loss when I ran the connectivity test. I'm at work now, and my wife is being forced to use her phone's data connection, since our Hughesnet connection is currently unusably slow. I do hope we're able to work out the root problem here, because this experience is quite frustrating. Thank you for your help!

You're very welcome. I've also sent over this feedback to engineering. We'll keep you posted!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Woo, engineer called me about your feedback just now. Currently we're seeing 34 Mbps in download speeds from the HughesNet modem, and all other diagnostics look good. I understand you're not at home to troubleshoot, but if it's possible to get this info, it would be helpful to the engineer.

How was your wife trying to use the internet when she found it unusably slow?

Via wifi device?

Via computer connected directly to modem? 

Is she able to run a few speed tests on testmy.net right now while we're seeing good diagnostic results?

She was just reading forums on some web sites via WiFi using Chrome on her phone. Everything would either not load at all, or load after a long delay with broken elements on the page. She's not very tech savvy at all, and is being kept very busy today by our baby, so I may not be able to get any results until I get home.

Did anything change with our configuration, or does it just happen to look good right now?

Unfortunately, we're not able to get numbers until I get home from work, because something didn't work on the speed test site for her. Even more unfortunately, we're almost certainly going to go over on our phone data plan this month as a result of all this.

Hopefully something has changed, and we'll now see better speeds most of the time on the Hughesnet service. I'll post an update about how it's looking when I get home.

That's understandable, whenever you can get testmy.net results will do. Nothing to my knowledge has been changed. Even right now, the download speed from the modem is now at 37 Mbps down.

We are curious to know what speeds you're seeing while directly connected to the modem. Looking forward to hearing back.

I'm seeing speeds the 30's wireless and almost 50 wired. This is looking much better!

But.. was anything change, or does it just happen to be great right now? Thanks again for the help.

Sounds good! I'll send this over to the engineer. He hasn't mentioned anything since I had you monitor your system for improvements, so I can't say if there was any adjustment done. I'll let you know if I have any further instruction from the engineer. This sounds promising.

Good morning MrCRJP,

Just checking in on you, is the HughesNet system still working well for you?

Good morning MrCRJP,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. I also just ran diagnostics on your site and everything looks fine. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.