Slow speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maui1957
Freshman

Slow speed

I had previously ran some testing back a few months ago and thought it was no where near what is advertised it seemed to run most things fine. Now everything seems so slow...I have been running tests through testmy.net- 

Time                                                      Speed              rovider Size 

9/29/20 3:34:50 pm 1.89 Mbps 236 kB/sHughes 2.2 MB   
9/29/20 10:11:29 am 805 kbps 101 kB/sHughes 25 MB   
9/29/20 9:48:54 am 1.25 Mbps 156 kB/sHughes 2.6 MB   
9/29/20 9:42:27 am 1.46 Mbps 183 kB/sHughes 2.5 MB   
9/29/20 9:41:18 am 2.48 Mbps 310 kB/sHughes 1.7 MB   
9/29/20 9:38:24 am 1.05 Mbps 131 kB/sHughes 2.5 MB   
9/29/20 9:36:43 am 1.54 Mbps 192 kB/sHughes 2.5 MB   

I was told everything is fine however these appear to be really slow. I read that someone did a modem hard reset and it seemed to help his situation. Is that something I can perform without support. Appreciate any feedback

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Maui1957, 

Thank you for your patience while our engineers looked at your case. An adjustment was made to your site, please let me know if you notice any difference.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the required procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

What you have is not what's required. 

Results from mytest.net

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Toad1957

GabeU

@Maui1957 

Please be sure to use the manual test sizes that are listed in the instructions.  25MB for download tests and 4MB for upload tests.  

Edit: 

Please also ensure that you are not currently out of Service Plan data.  You can do so here.  You may need to click on "Home" on the left.  If you are not out of Service Plan data, please continue with the speed testing.

Regarding your "reset" question, sometimes a power cycle can help.  To do so, it would first be best to shut down your device (PC, tablet, phone, etc.), then unplug the HughesNet modem, wait at least 60 seconds, then plug the modem back in.  Then wait for at least five minutes before starting your device back up and trying your online activity again.  

Please, however, DO NOT "reset" the modem using the reset button on the back without instruction from a HughesNet rep to do so.  Performing a "reset" improperly, or under the wrong circumstances, can actually cause more harm than good.

I used the appropriate file size for the past 2 days- 

maratsade

Go to this internal modem page: http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

What is the number next to State Code?

BTW, your upload speeds are fine (very close to 3 Mbps, which is the stated upload speed for HN).  One of you upload speeds was very slow, but it was at night when there's noticeably more congestion and speeds can be lower.

Maui1957 wrote:

I used the appropriate file size for the past 2 days- 

0.0.0 -- Fully operational

Hi Maui1957,

Thanks for posting and working with the community. I pulled up your account to run diagnostics on your site, and they indicate that the HughesNet equipment is working normally. However, I do see a couple of devices on your network that have Fair/Poor wifi connection. 

For troubleshooting purposes, can you temporarily disconnect the W1740534 device and your iPhone to see if performance improves on whatever is left connected?

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I have removed the iphone from wireless however, our issues are when we are connected via ethernet mainly. We have our smart TV directly connected and still can't watch most shows with buffering every few minutes. I have worked around working from home and just don't do any video and dial in with my phone for conference calls. We are currently trying to watch TV and it just took approx 2 min to load a show and we are connected via the ethernet and not using the wireless....

Update- just had to leave watching TV via internet as 30 seconds into the show it buffered---this is so frustrating as this was not like this in the beginning.....

Thanks for clarifying what you were trying to do online. When you were trying to watch on the smart TV, were the W1740534 device and your iPhone disconnected from the network at the time? Underperforming network devices can impact overall performance on the network.

-Liz

Liz-

Tried again with everything disconnected and still the same buffering issue...

OK, which streaming service on the smart TV were you trying to watch? Netflix, Hulu, etc? Please ensure that the streaming/playback quality is set to auto or standard. 

Your Video Data Saver is currently enabled, so if trying to stream at HD, this can lead to buffering.

-Liz

We were trying to watch Netflix-and have confirmed our playback settings is set to auto on our profile

Thanks for checking and confirming that. Now please try streaming Netflix from a different device and let me know if buffering persists on that as well, and let me know which device you used.

-Liz

So every place watch netflix is still buffering- I understand you are trying to help the situation however the download speed is as slow as if I went over my data limit, which I am signed up for the 50 GB to ensure I don't exceed.-

HughesNet disclamer-

It will never disconnect you or charge you for going over your data limit, but you will experience reduced speeds of 1–3 Mbps once you hit your limit. That’s still enough speed to check email and use messaging apps, but expect buffering if you’re trying to stream the latest release from Netflix (or any other streaming platform).    

My average speed is 1.22 Mbps

Hi Maui1957,

Thank you for this confirmation, I've escalated this to our engineers for their input on your particular case. Once I have any news or additional troubleshooting suggestions from them, I'll post back.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz-

Thanks and I hope someone can get this figured out- I have just spent 30 min trying to watch netflix with nothing else connected and the ethernet cable connected. We managed to get through 7 minutes of the show in 30 minutes of our time....

This is not the type of speed I had when I got the service and feels like its getting slower and slower the longer I use it...

HELP!!!

Hi Maui1957, 

Thank you for your patience while our engineers looked at your case. An adjustment was made to your site, please let me know if you notice any difference.

-Liz

Liz-

Not sure what was changed but I am seeing an increase in our speed. I appreaciate all the help!!! Thank the engineers for me!

Thanks

That's wonderful! Thank you for the quick update! I'll be sure to relay your message to the engineers. Please don't hesitate to drop by the community again if you have other concerns.

-Liz