Slow speeds and over usage of data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bishop
New Poster

Slow speeds and over usage of data

For 2 months now I've been having slow data I have paid my part so why TF am I getting slow data speeds the first month your team didn't do crap about it now I call Wednesday about it and nothing so far. I'm being dogged left and right and my 20 GB data dissipate in 2 weeks. According to both speakers that I talked to it's under the regulated speed meaning false advertising and so eather A I can cancel without reprconion or B I can cancel you can charge me and we can go to court. I just got a laptop and I only have 3 GB left with 35 gb of bonus which I bearly use. So figure this out now because in the first month which is where you got me.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Bishop 

Please refrain from using foul language in this Community.  It is completely unnecessary, as well as disrespectful to those from whom you are asking help.  

For data usage issues, this thread and this thread may help you.  

For speed issues, the reps will need some speed test results to help you, and the tests need to be run in a specific way.  Also, please run the tests only if you are not currently out of data.  The instructions for the speed tests are as follows...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU

@Bishop 

Please refrain from using foul language in this Community.  It is completely unnecessary, as well as disrespectful to those from whom you are asking help.  

For data usage issues, this thread and this thread may help you.  

For speed issues, the reps will need some speed test results to help you, and the tests need to be run in a specific way.  Also, please run the tests only if you are not currently out of data.  The instructions for the speed tests are as follows...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Sorry about the foul language. And I would like to thank you for your help I don't know what happened but my data just spiked. Thank you so much.
GabeU

@Bishop 

You're very welcome.  🙂

Unfortunately, as time goes on, more and more automation is going on with devices, as in updates, upgrades, cloud connections and various other actions, and often for things we aren't aware of.  It can be a bit tricky figuring out just what is using so much data, but data monitoring programs and apps for those devices are getting better, with some having the ability to tell you not only how much data a device is using, but also just what's using it, as in apps, programs and system processes with that particular device. 

If the information in those threads doesn't help, or doesn't help enough, or even doesn't apply to one or more of your devices, please don't hesitate to ask for further help.  Locking down our devices, data wise, is something we all have to do with ISPs that have a limited amount of data, so there is a lot of collective experience regarding such in this Community.  

If you do need further help, it would be a good idea to list the devices you use with HughesNet, as that way we can recommend system settings, apps and programs that can help with those devices.  Also, just in case, this modem page lists the devices you currently have connected, and those that were connected, but are no longer, to the HT2000W modem since the last time the modem was plugged in (the loss of power to the modem wipes the logs).  This can be helpful when we forget about something that's connected, but that we seldom use, or haven't used in a while,  and is still using data on its own.

.Testmy.net speed results are a joke, and a flatout lie. More accurate results come from hughesnetspeedtest which is way more in-line with the actual download speeds. Testmy shows speeds up to 60mbps, while the second site shows on average .5-3mbps. When actually downloading a file for school it downloads at 21KB/s when I still have over 25gb left on my Priority data. Then during good hours I can get up to 321KB/s for a steam download. Now I know you're going to say the two are different but let's do some math so MB is differents than mbps, downloads are in mbps not MB, so 1MB = 8mbps. Now hughesnet says speeds of 25mbps, but speedtest on average for the testmy.net site shows 40-60mbps. So once again let's do math even at 25mbps. 25mbps / 8 = 3.125MB. so if we convert MB into KB there's 1000KB in 1MB, the download speed my browser shows me for a single file download is 21.5KB/s. To download a 300MB file takes me over 4 hours. Hughesnet and their speedtests are absolute scam artists.

maratsade

Since your beef is with Testmy.net, you should take it up with them. They're not owned by HN.  

Jspyrogram wrote:

Hughesnet and their speedtests are absolute scam artists.

GabeU

@Jspyrogram 

Regardless of your personal experience with the two speed tests, testmy.net is the more accurate of the two and is the required test for getting help with speed issues on this support community.  

"To download a 300MB file takes me over 4 hours."

A file download isn't a speed test.  There are too many variables with a file download to rely on it for accurate speed measurements.  

For future reference, nearly all speed tests, including those of testmy and HughesNet, give results in bits per second (bps), not bytes per second (Bps), and in decimal, not binary.  It's the industry standard for expressing speed.  Mixing the two only confuses people.  

If you're having speed issues, please see this.

That's why I did simple math so anyone can understand 🙂 so a speed of 21KB/s = 169kbps or 0.169mbps 

Also the other person mentioned Testmy is not with hughesnet but yet for official support you need testmy speed results.
Also Testmy uses a file download to test speeds, which goes against your "A file download isn't a speed test.
Downloading files from school websites and other places around the internet to show the exact same download speed is more than a mere coincidence.

Two things to remember:
1. The route it takes is extremely important: Not all routes add the same amount of latency and sporadic, excessive delays will impact the speed of any download.

2. The protocol it uses is even more important: Most download sites, especially ones that employ content delivery networks are using secure modes for downloads, where HughesNet's acceleration techniques are inhibited. Secure transfer modes also require extra handshakes, which add even more back-and-forth latency to the process.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@Jspyrogram wrote:

That's why I did simple math so anyone can understand 🙂 so a speed of 21KB/s = 169kbps or 0.169mbps 

Also the other person mentioned Testmy is not with hughesnet but yet for official support you need testmy speed results.
Also Testmy uses a file download to test speeds, which goes against your "A file download isn't a speed test.
Downloading files from school websites and other places around the internet to show the exact same download speed is more than a mere coincidence.

Semantics nonsense, and you know that.     

A file download to your computer is not a speed test.  A speed test is a speed test because it's solely designed to be a speed test.  As well, the file testmy uses is a test file for their testing protocol and designed for their testing protocol, not a generic file from a generic server that will probably go through a bunch of other infrastructure along the way, including servers, to get to you.  

Quit playing games.  If you want help, start YOUR OWN topic instead of rudely invading other's with your disruptive nonsense.