Slow speeds, video's constantly buffering, web pages slow to load

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darrin.simon
Sophomore

Slow speeds, video's constantly buffering, web pages slow to load

Things have gone downhill lately, was much better at the beginning of the year. Nothing has changed on my end, so whats up? YouTube video's take forever to start, and when they do finally start, they pause and buffer every 10 seconds or so. Tried to stream a baseball game and it paused and buffered every 5 to 10 seconds, pretty much ruins the experience. If the web page has pictures, it paints them line by line instead of just popping up like it used to. I'm paying for 15 Megs down and used to get up to 30 megs so I am spoiled now. Would really like to at least get near 15 because that's what I am paying for and I used to get it consistently. Anyway to get me back to 15 megs? I still have 40.7 gigs of anytime data right now so that's not it. Also, we have had almost daily storms in the afternoons and I know that affects speeds. So I never run speed tests when storms are around, only when the weather is good and my signal strength is at 100 or above. https://testmy.net/quickstats/NomisNirrad
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
darrin.simon
Sophomore

Okay, replaced modem yesterday 7-18-22 at 4:10 PM. Took 45 minutes for it to configure itself on the network, speeds were 3.91 Megs right after the install. I got 24.61 Megs at 9:53 AM that same day with my old modem, so I was really wondering if the modem was the issue or not. Anyway, aside from speed tests I decided to just browse and watch a few video's, everything seemed better than before so I am happy for now. My OLD HT1100 modem is so old Hughesnet doesn't want it back, LOL. I just got 13.77 Megs download so things are looking better. https://testmy.net/quickstats/NomisNirrad

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate you spending YOUR OWN TIME to help me out! We can call this one closed for now.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That looks pretty bad if you're not in FAP.  Are you on Gen 4 or Gen 5?

@JB39

Mainly because we've learned not to respond to your trolls.

This is not social media. Each thread is the original poster's de facto 'trouble ticket'. I am responding just to tell you that it's not real helpful to them to spam everyone's posts with your experiences and irrelevant comments. It just confuses things for them as well as the site admins.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Why are you responding to my thread? I have already seen your posts and reviewed them, you aren't respectful to the ones here trying to help us AND you have already cluttered up my thread!!! Please go away and cry to your mother instead!! Thank you! Sincerely, Darrin Simon.

Darrin,

Thanks for reaching out! I was able to take a quick look into the account, and our speed tests seem to be similar to the ones you've produced on testmy.net. We appreciate the tests and link being provided, it expedites the troubleshooting process a lot! I'm gonna have this one escalated to our engineers, as it seems all of the basic troubleshooting has already been completed. 

In addition, from a quick glance, it doesn't seem your Gateway or beam are having issues. We'll look into this, and provide updates as we receive them! We appreciate your help and patience!

Thanks,

Remy

Gen 4 still, been working great for years now, not so much now. Not in FAP. My guess is my gateway is over utilized or experiencing technical difficulty's.

Thanks for your help maratsade!

maratsade

You're welcome, Darrin!

Your speeds are certainly in the basement, and I wonder if this has something to do with, say, the dish being misaligned.  The reps here can run remote diagnostics on your modem and in the past, they've caught things like misalignment issues. Hopefully they'll get involved soon to ferret out what the issue could be. Was all this sudden or did things slow down incrementally? You mentioned things were working well at the beginning of the year. Did you notice a slowdown, or did speeds crash all of a sudden?

@darrin.simon wrote:

Gen 4 still, been working great for years now, not so much now. Not in FAP. My guess is my gateway is over utilized or experiencing technical difficulty's.

Thanks for your help maratsade!

It's been a few weeks, I normally wait and see if things clear up on their own, I try to be patient. 😁 I try all of the regular stuff, power cycling, rebooting, pinging and testing, all of usual stuff thats easy for the end user to do. I am at a dead end so here we are! Thanks for all of the help guys!!!

GabeU

@JB39 

Perhaps you should mind your own business rather than immaturely trolling other people's topics and disrespecting them in the process. 

"there are areas that are having trouble with their Beam"

Last I looked J2 had a minimum of 97 spot beams being routed across 17 disparate ground stations. These beams are continually maintained in order to ensure proper coverage is attained. I'm pretty sure that excuse is given to uncontrollable callers in attempt to finally placate them.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Don't hijack a thread you already hijacked... got it. Cool.

darrin.simon
Sophomore

Still slow this AM, got a whopping 1 megabyte download test today. Signal strength is at 108 this AM.

maratsade

I hope Remy hears from the engineers soon so you can have a resolution.

@darrin.simon wrote:

Still slow this AM, got a whopping 1 megabyte download test today. Signal strength is at 108 this AM.

darrin.simon
Sophomore

Okay, just got off of the phone with Jonathan from tier 4 support. He recommends upgrading to Gen 5 because it's faster,but I will lose 20 gigs of anytime data and I will be locked into another 2 year contract which I don't want to do. Reason being Starlink is available in my area, my neighbor just got it and they get 80 to 100 Megs download with no data cap. Jonathan changed my modem gateway from NOR54HNSIGW0205Adv to NOR54HNSIGW0206Adv and it didn't make a difference. He had me use Google's speedtest instead of testmy.net which I thought was weird.

They are sending me a modem to see if it fixes it, should be here in a few days. I'll report back when I have some results, thanks for the help guys!

Anyway

maratsade

Thanks for the update, Darrin.  I hope the new modem helps. 🙂

GabeU

I've seen other examples on here of phone reps having a subscriber run a speed test on a different site.  I believe the reps here prefer testmy due to its record of consistency and the amount of extra, pertinent info it gives with each individual test, but I'm sure some phone reps have different preferred tests for when the speed itself is the most important thing to see during a support call.

I, too, hope the new modem helps.  🤞

maratsade

They probably use other test sites when they just need quickie results and nothing too in depth.

darrin.simon
Sophomore

Okay, replaced modem yesterday 7-18-22 at 4:10 PM. Took 45 minutes for it to configure itself on the network, speeds were 3.91 Megs right after the install. I got 24.61 Megs at 9:53 AM that same day with my old modem, so I was really wondering if the modem was the issue or not. Anyway, aside from speed tests I decided to just browse and watch a few video's, everything seemed better than before so I am happy for now. My OLD HT1100 modem is so old Hughesnet doesn't want it back, LOL. I just got 13.77 Megs download so things are looking better. https://testmy.net/quickstats/NomisNirrad

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate you spending YOUR OWN TIME to help me out! We can call this one closed for now.