cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sunlightbywheel
Sophomore

Slow speeds with HN9000

Hi,

I had my modem changed out on 6-7-19 do to  System Control Center  web page not loading. That is fixed but still seem to be having problems. My speeds seem to be slow and and lot of time outs on web pages. I have run a few speed tests. two of the tests,one on 6-7-19 and the other on 6-11-19 things were fine. The others were not.

Can some one look into this for me?

Thanks

(KBPS) Upload Result
(KBPS) Hughes Modem
06/12/2019 08:13 AM
Yes
06/11/2019 09:48 PM
Yes
06/11/2019 07:19 PM
Yes
06/11/2019 07:00 PM
Yes
06/11/2019 06:06 PM
Yes
06/11/2019 09:38 AM
Yes
06/10/2019 09:05 PM
Yes
06/10/2019 08:34 PM
Yes
06/10/2019 07:54 PM
Yes
06/07/2019 07:55 AM
Yes
06/07/2019 07:53 AM
Yes
06/06/2019 06:18 PM
Yes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Sunlightbywheel,

The engineer made an adjustment on our side to try to help with your concerns. Let me know how it goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You may want to consider https://testmy.net/ to run your speed tests.  The site will keep a record of your history of speed tests, and this is very useful to the HN staff on this site. In fact, it's required if you want them to address speed issues.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Sunlightbywheel wrote:

Hi,

I had my modem changed out on 6-7-19 do to  System Control Center  web page not loading. That is fixed but still seem to be having problems. My speeds seem to be slow and and lot of time outs on web pages. I have run a few speed tests. two of the tests,one on 6-7-19 and the other on 6-11-19 things were fine. The others were not.

Can some one look into this for me?

Thanks

(KBPS) Upload Result
(KBPS) Hughes Modem
06/12/2019 08:13 AM
Yes
06/11/2019 09:48 PM
Yes
06/11/2019 07:19 PM
Yes
06/11/2019 07:00 PM
Yes
06/11/2019 06:06 PM
Yes
06/11/2019 09:38 AM
Yes
06/10/2019 09:05 PM
Yes
06/10/2019 08:34 PM
Yes
06/10/2019 07:54 PM
Yes
06/07/2019 07:55 AM
Yes
06/07/2019 07:53 AM
Yes
06/06/2019 06:18 PM
Yes

GabeU

@Liz @Amanda @Damian et al., 

Should someone with an HN9000 system use specific test sizes at testmy.net, and if so, what should those test sizes be?  Perhaps 12MB/4MB, like with Gen4?

I finally was able to create an account at testmy.net.It kept timing out. I have only ran 1 test so far with a 3MB file.
This is the link.
https://testmy.net/db/rV4lVunLc

GabeU

@Sunlightbywheel 

Going forward, make sure that you're signed into the account you created at testmy.net when you run the tests.  This way the tests will all be held in a single location for the reps to view.   

Liz

Good morning Sunlightbywheel,

Thanks for posting and sharing your speed test results. With your Basic plan offering 1 Mbps download speeds, you could also try running the testmy.net speed tests with a 5 Mbps download file size to save on your limited data. At this point however, I would hold off on any further testing. The diagnostics I've run on your site is reporting rain so until the weather clears I would just keep an eye on performance. In the meantime you can also try power cycling the modem and clearing your browser cache.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz, Thanks for the reply.
I have power cycled the modem and have cleared my browser cache. I have did this in the past as well.
I had everything else disconnected from the modem except my PC to make sure nothing was overloading the connection. Sometimes a power cycle does help some but, usually just briefly.
It is a light rain or overcast here but this kind of weather has never really affected my service. It really takes a pretty severe storm, usually to my south to effect me. It took me over 3 hours to download a 12 MB file for my daughter for school today.
I want to say I have had Hughes net for about 10 years and it has for the most part always worked well enough for me. I never really have ran any speed tests in the past because it usually would work. I have checked everything I can think of on my end. I do know something is different in how it is working now and its not good.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Here is the link for my speed tests
https://testmy.net/quickstats/Sunlightbywheel

Thank you for the additional information. I re-ran the diagnostics on your site and I'm not currently seeing any rain status, so that's good, and so is the rest of your diagnostics.

Your testmy.net results URL helps, thank you. I see that the test file size is different every time the test is run. I'd like to get some consistency, so please run a batch of 3 tests during the time you are typically seeing the slow speeds, and space each test 5 minutes apart. Be sure to manually select the download speed's test file size and in your situation, I would select the 1.5 MB test file size, like this:

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Hi Sunlightbywheel,

Thank you for your patience while I investigated your site. Diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment is all fine, so I'm not sure why your speed test results are that low. I'd like to get a tech out there to replace some equipment and review any components to ensure they haven't degraded over time.

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Wednesday, Jun 19, 2019 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks,

Will there be any charge for the visit? 

No charge for you, we want to eliminate any possible root causes on site if we still need to escalate to our corporate engineers.

Liz,
Just an update on this. The technician was out today and checked some things from his phone. He said everything checked out and there was nothing more he could do.
Thanks again

Hi Sunlightbywheel,

Thanks for this update. Are you saying the tech did not replace any equipment or check your coaxial cable (the cable running from the modem to the dish)?

Yes, That is what I am saying. He said whatever he did with his phone was an app that only installers have and that was all that was needed. He said he could verify everything with it. I said that doesn’t sound any different than the tests the techs online have already run..
I even asked if he would check it at the back of the modem to verify the cable. I know the previous tech checked it at the dish and said it was good. My thinking was it should be checked at the back of the modem to verify it there as well.
He assured me again that was all that was needed besides taking some pictures..
So in short and to be clear the tech did not replace any equipment or check the coaxial cable (the cable running from the modem to the dish).

Thanks again so much

I appreciate the clarification. This isn't ideal, as I wanted new equipment in before escalating to our engineers for their input, but we'll make do. I've escalated your case to engineering for assistance. Please keep in mind the heavy rain currently reported at your site may delay evaluation of your system performance. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Liz, 

I think someone  may have already did something. It appears to be much better this morning. I will run some speed tests over the next few days to be sure and report back.

Thank you so very much.

Hi Sunlightbywheel,

Thank you for this update, good to hear that! You're already ahead of the game; yes, please monitor your system performance and let us know how it goes. Have a good weekend!

Liz, I may have spoke to soon. Friday, when I wrote my speed was good, but it seems to have returned to the disapointing slow pace that it had been running.

Thanks again.

I will just wait until you hear something from the engineers.

Thank you for this update, I've informed the engineers so they can try something else to address this concern. I'll post back once I get confirmation from engineering.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Hi Sunlightbywheel,

The engineer made an adjustment on our side to try to help with your concerns. Let me know how it goes.