Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Thanks for the amazing reply!
Yes, I normally wouldn't trust wifi at all but we are super isolated and there are only 3 devices in the house. Even with that, I am going to test today via ethernet.
I checked my wifi analyzer app and there are three unnamed wifi networks that appear to originate from the router based on signal strength. No idea what they are or why they are lol.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Really should only be two which are hidden and only for use in conjunction with the booster. the reason they are hidden is so only the booster will recognize it so no one accidentally tries to connect to it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Sophomore

This is ridiculous.  They have never replied to my emails and Chats keep failing.  Cannot call them because too slow for VOIP

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

To get a reply from the HN reps on this site, you will need to run the tests as required:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

If you already have run them as per those instructions, please post the URL to your My Results page. 

Highlighted
Senior

The HughesNet folks that do the troubleshooting want some bandwidth tests run in a very particular way so that they can line up the results with the data they can get a hold of.  If there are not obvious issues showing in the State Code, and Diagnostic Code, then they pretty much wait to get tests that have been run like they are looking for.  That link maratsade provided gives the details of how to run the tests the way they want them done, but the main points are:

• To run the TestMy.net test using a wired connection
  • To be sure other data vampires are not hoping on the WiFi during the test, they will want that off
  • To be sure to use a Test Size of 25MB for the download test

I think I see your testmy account as there is one using your screen name, so once you have a batch of tests done like that they can compare the results against the diagnostic log information and other data they have to draw some conclusions about what is happening.  

Here is an image of where to set that test size:

testmy.png

If you don't mind saying, do you have Beam Id 82 on the bottom right side box on the following page?

http://192.168.0.1/index.html#!/home/information

Highlighted
Sophomore

So they emailed me and said DL to the modem is at 36 MBPS 😳
Yes, I have been testing on wifi (with different devices) - but with no other devices connected. Trying to find ethernet cable 🀣, we're remodeling

Is there a wifi setting I should be looking at?

TIA
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

That means that the speed of the signal coming from the gateway to your modem is 36 Mbps. Things on your side (including the configuration of your devices, the age of your devices, your software, how many devices are connected, how many users are on the network, etc.) can slow down your speed, and when you measure the speed with Testmy, congestion and internet latency will have an impact, sometimes significant. HN is providing you with speeds higher than the advertised 25 Mbps.

Highlighted
Senior

The first thing is to locate that cable to directly connect to the modem.  If you turn off the WiFi without having the cable, you may have some trouble :-)

After you have the cable hookup, you can proceed to following steps in that link maratsade sent.

That 36Mbps is a number from the log giving an idea of how much bandwidth it is seeing.  In general, it dips down at busy times of the day or there are communication issues.  Given that clear codes we saw earlier it seems things are working good.   And if you are on beam 82, then I would have expected such a high number at 6pm even though it is approaching "prime time" for satellite usage because I am on beam 82, and it has been very smooth and fast for the last couple of days.

With the test results, it should shed some light on the next step.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Right, so when I'm testing with a new laptop (and a not as new, but still not archaic phone) and nothing else on the wifi and consistently getting 1 mb DL - there is a wifi issue at the modem. Right?

I'm testing 5g - 10' from the modem.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Their email support is maddening.
"Call"... me "service is too poor for voip"
"I understand you can't call so chat (said this multiple times)"...me "I've tried 10 times"
"Call or contact support"... me "what is it you think I'm doing"...