cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bronccat
Junior

Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Last night DL was consistently under 1 mbps, up was 2.5 to 4
This morning, DL has ranged from sub 1 to 10.

I have been on 4 chats and they just stop replying or disconnect. One rebooted modem a few times.

I have no phone here, need assistance please. Should I email?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi bronccat,

Thank you for this information. I also noticed on your account that you've reached out to our corporate office, so yes, one of our corporate representatives will be in contact with you to address your concerns. I've shared this thread with him so that he has more details on the troubleshooting attempted thus far. I'll go ahead and close out this thread, as I'm sure our rep will provide you with a resolution.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

123 REPLIES 123
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat wrote:
I'm still at675kbb $&#*@(
Any reason I shouldn't try a factory reset on the modem? 

Yes.  A factory reset should only be done for specific reasons and only under the instruction of a HughesNet rep.  This is for various reasons, the most important of which is that a reset performed improperly or in the wrong instance can cause more harm than good. 

The reps will be back on Monday.  Hopefully your adapter will be in soon and you can get a few directly connected speed tests in to start getting the help you need from them.  Make sure that when you've run the tests you indicate so so that they can start their troubleshooting.

Thanks. So they don't work weekends? Great!

I leave here Monday morning. I guess I'll call from home and get some ideas. They have got to master email support or something. No way voip is working at these speeds.

I hope starlink is for real and available soon. I can't even type real time lmao - there's a delay in the characters appearing
GabeU

@bronccat 

No, sorry, they don't work on the weekends.  They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  

With regard to the typing issue, though separate from the current topic at hand, try restarting your device.  Problems like this are normally related to the device or something on it, and it can very often be fixed by restarting that device.  Only when it's a remote type fill, like with the online free version of Microsoft Word, does it tend to be related to the internet service.

Began ethernet testing, 25mb, wifi off.  Results are the same. Plan to test every 2 hours today. 

I DM Liz as I am not sure how to get her attention?

maratsade

They do not respond to unsolicited PMs.

What she is probably waiting for is for you to run the required tests the required way.  Right now, the file sizes are incorrect; they need to be 25MB for download tests and 4MB for upload tests.  

A rep will reply on this thread, not via PM. 

EDIT:

• Your results URL is https://testmy.net/quickstats/Bronccat
  • The reps here work M-F, approximately 9-6. 
  • Don't expect a reply until you have run the tests the right way, as explained here. You may want to focus your efforts on getting the troubleshooting and testing right.  
  • For immediate responses, there's chat and phone customer service, but you've been through that and it hasn't worked for you, so stay here, run the tests the way they're supposed to, and wait for a response, which may be next week if you've done the required testing as required. 

bronccat wrote:

I DM Liz as I am not sure how to get her attention?

Right, as stated above I started running the ethernet test and will do se every 2 or 3 hours.  25 mb down (first was at 1130) and 4 Up.

My question is - and not to be a smart**bleep** - but how will she magically know that I have run the tests "correctly" and know I am now worthy of a response?

OK, maybe I'm being a little smart**bleep**ed. 

@MrBuster  I'm not using auto - I was running smaller tests before I was hooked to ehternet. Since 1143 (or whenever) I have been running 25 DL and 4 UL.

You can use that '@' sign like you did for me to notify folks -- also, she will probably check this thread this thread again on Monday.

I think maratsade just responding about the smaller tests that were recent, so I was not sure if maybe testmy was backing your size down.  I think she will have what she wants with a good batch of these tests.

edit: I see maratsade responded before I was done typing....

maratsade

the OP needs to get the sizes right or the testing may be rejected by the engineers; Liz is just a conduit. Hopefully the OP will get all the moving pieces right. 🙂

MrBuster wrote:

You can use that '@' sign like you did for me to notify folks -- also, she will probably check this thread this thread again on Monday.

I think maratsade just responding about the smaller tests that were recent, so I was not sure if maybe testmy was backing your size down.  I think she will have what she wants with a good batch of these tests.

edit: I see maratsade responded before I was done typing....

maratsade

She will know because she will check the URL to your results list.  And because she's an all powerful, all seeing entity. Or a magical pixie.  HN neither confirms nor denies.

@bronccat wrote:

My question is - and not to be a smart**bleep** - but how will she magically know that I have run the tests "correctly" and know I am now worthy of a response?

OK, maybe I'm being a little smart**bleep**ed. 

@maratsade  LMAO Heart

I just meant, what would prompt her to check Smiley Very Happy

@MrBuster  10-4

maratsade

They keep track of the posts and what we talk about -- when the tests have been done, she'll check. 🙂

bronccat wrote:

maratsade  LMAO Heart

I just meant, what would prompt her to check Smiley Very Happy

Well I ran several tests yesterday as per instructions (25 DL / 4 UL)
Back home now and will call them to discuss.
GabeU

@bronccat wrote:
Well I ran several tests yesterday as per instructions (25 DL / 4 UL)
Back home now and will call them to discuss.

Why would you call them?

Do you not want the reps here to help you?  I thought that was the purpose of you coming to this support community.   

Of course, that would be my preference. I didn't know if protocol was to talk to both - or?

I also didn't know how long I should give them to respond here.

If I'm on the mountain, this is all I have. I'll be back there first of next week. I had hoped all of this would get resolved on here before I left but with the ethernet connection issue my timing sucked lol
GabeU

@bronccat 

They normally reply within a working day of knowing that the tests have been performed, so it's likely that they will reply to help tomorrow.  I'll tag a few of them so that they will be sure to do so.

@Liz @Damian @Remy 

Is the modem still plugged in at the location, as they'll likely want to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment?

To answer your question, you can talk to either, but I'd advise allowing the reps here to help you.  The reps here are corporate based and they have more tools readily available to help, such as direct access to the engineers, if needs be.

Yessir! Left it on for this reason.

You rock man, appreciate it!

A little LOL...
I almost ran a test here (just bc I'm new to "test.my" and realized it would look crazy. I know the location would show but didn't want to muddy the waters 😉

Good morning bronccat,

Welcome and thank you for posting. I have your TestMy.Net results URL, thank you this helps. Please private message me your SAN or associated phone number so I can pull up your account to run diagnostics. A properly working internet connection is the basis of a properly working HughesNet Voice system.

As I understand it, regarding streaming, you're trying to stream Hulu and Netflix via your Firestick, but nothing loads? I'm not familiar with Firestick's interface, but basically nothing is happening when trying to connect to it?

For troubleshooting purposes, let's isolate the TV to which the Firestick is connected. I suggest documenting what happens as you go along, as I'm providing several troubleshooting steps below.

Are you able to connect the TV directly to the HughesNet modem via ethernet cable?

If so, please do so and temporarily disable wifi on the modem. For your convenience, here's the modem user guide. Please uncheck the SSID Enable options for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, as you have devices on both.

If the TV is too far to be connected via ethernet cable, disable the network on which the TV is NOT connected (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz). Be sure to disconnect any other devices that share that same network to truly isolate the TV.

Once the TV is the only device on the network, try streaming and let me know how it goes. If no improvement, ensure the playback quality is set to auto or standard definition. 

If quality is already set to auto, please let me know which streaming platform you tried (Netflix, Hulu, etc.).

If any issues with that platform, try a different one to see if it plays well. This is to check if the issue is platform-specific.

If no improvement in streaming via the TV, please test stream on a different device on a non-HughesNet connection, if possible. For example, if Netflix is buffering on your isolated TV, try Netflix on a mobile device via cellular connection or other non-HughesNet connection. Any difference?

The above information will help get us started on addressing your concerns, so your cooperation is much appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions about the directions above.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!