Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Liz

Re: Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Hi bronccat,

It's ok to be frustrated, I understand.

Our diagnostics show the HughesNet equipment is functioning normally. However, we don't know the details of the devices and apps you're using to stream, which may be affecting your internet performance. You may see a difference if you stream on updated apps and devices. Without the ability to troubleshoot further with you, the root cause will remain unknown.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

bronccat
Junior

@Liz

I understand what you're saying - but understand what I'm saying.

Remove streaming from the conversation for a moment. Let's solely look at the speed tests - as they are by far the most reliable, quantifiable data. Anything beyond that is totally subjective.

My point is - we KNOW that there is a speed issue from the router to the laptop via ethernet (speed tests) and the router to the phones via wifi (speed tests) and the router to the firestick (via wifi) as indicated by slow connection speed warnings.

So, let's go back to the laptop.

It wasn't running any of the streaming apps.

If I came to you and said "here are my speed results from my laptop connected via ethernet cable - and I tested because browsing and file transfer were sluggish"

What would you tell me to do next? Because that, in reality that is where we are.

If that doesn't get us to the next step - then what?

Am I to wait a week to drive down there, update my apps, send screenshots proving I did - then run a speed test on a TOTALLY separate device just to prove that it wasn't the streaming apps? Because that's what is being asked of me.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat 

If I may, the reps here ask for things for a reason, but they aren't going to twist your arm for you to provide what was asked.  They don't give "busywork".  They have no reason to.  They aren't trying to tie you up with work while they look for a solution, as again, they don't have to.  They're trying to word toward a solution, but they need the information asked for in order to do so.  It may not seem logical why they ask for something, but what they ask for they need.  

With this said, I'm sure that with you not being at the service location all the time, Liz knows this is going to take longer than it normally would to troubleshoot and find a solution, but refusing to do what it asked because it doesn't seem necessary is definitely not going to help the situation.

Good luck.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
bronccat
Junior

@GabeU

I know man, and I swear I'm not being obstinate for the heck of it lol.

But to me this is akin to "unplug the modem". Yes, that fixes a lot but there is no logical way that outdated (but they weren't) streaming apps on other devices are going to cause slow speed tests on another machine - especially when they arent connected.

I'd love to get this escalated to some meat and potatoes solutions while I have phone access.

Doing what she's asked isn't going to fix it and it's only going to leave me on an island again with no meaningful progress - and only delays a real solution.

I can't be anymore clear - forget streaming was ever involved.

All that matters, truly, is that the wired connection confirmed the same paltry DL results as the wireless.

Someone explain to me how the app version on another device has any bearing whatsoever on the fact that another device, connected via ethernet is clocking sub 1 MBPS DL speeds?

No one can. Bottom line this is step "x" and until I satisfy this step, I won't be allowed to proceed.

That is absurd, IMO.

"What is your quest"... I'd know the air speed velocity of a laden swallow (both African and European) but we can't get to that point.

Sigh.

bronccat
Junior

@Liz

Maybe this will suffice. This app was draggy and was UTD on 10/23. I checked it this AM and that's still latest version. I'll send the screenshots

Liz

Thank you bronccat, I got your screenshot.

I get what you're saying, I'm only asking you to update your streaming apps because you brought up streaming as a concern so we're working on that.

If you would rather we focus on general browsing or downloading files, we can, I just need details on that as well. These are the sort of questions that engineering asks me; we focus on the online activities because on our end the diagnostics and our tests show we're delivering more than the usual plan speeds to the modem. We look at TestMy.Net results to see if it matches up with our results and if they don't it indicates where we should focus our efforts. 

Hope that clears things up.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

bronccat
Junior

NM

bronccat
Junior

@Liz THANK YOU!!!!

Yes, let's focus on why the Speed results are what they are.  If that gets fixed, all else will follow.

Liz

No worries. Ok so we're doing process of elimination, so I suggest we focus on a device that can be connected via ethernet cable to the HughesNet modem and turn off wifi on the modem for the duration of testing. We want to make sure that device is the only thing using the internet while troubleshooting.

Examples of the sluggish sites you frequent would be helpful. Might as well also let us know what file(s) you're trying to download if you like.

Please let me know how long it takes for a site to load. If also testing downloading a file, time that as well. There's a tool @GabeU used that times page loading, but I don't recall so using the stopwatch on your phone will suffice.

Please also provide the device details (model and software version) as well as which browser and browser version you're using. Of course if either of those need updating, I recommend doing that before testing.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

The Chrome app @GabeU mentioned was PageLoad times