cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to download Win 10 Updates from Microsoft

Re: Unable to download Win 10 Updates from Microsoft

When I had my Legacy plan (HN9000 modem on the Spaceway 3 Satellite)  Windows Updates would download but very slowly,  they would download a few seconds and stop for about 30 seconds to a min, only downloading a few MBs at a time.  Would take hours just to download updates,  Let alone a full Windows 10 download lucky if it finished within the 5 hour unlimited usage time frame that I had some times would have to pause or turn on Metered Connection to have the download stop and hope it continues the next night.

I upgraded to Gen5 for the faster speeds and to be able to use the internet after going over my data limit (with my old plan I had 375 MB of data per day and if that was used there was no access to internet).    I was amazed as to how fast Windows Updates now download using Gen5.   

I think its the higher delay that causes the problems,  Microsoft must have their servers set real low.  The slightly lower delay with Gen5 makes a BIG difference.   I think these problems should be taken to Microsoft instead of HughesNet... (I dont blame Gen4 or ES-17 - being I had the problem with Spaceway 3 as well).

Senior Instructor

@hollidayjr

I can believe that they admitted that.  I think the only thing that is going to fix it is time, as in how long it takes the congestion to be lessened to a point that it's not causing issues with Microsoft's update servers, and that all depends on how quickly people jump to the ES19.  And, of course, it's beam and gateway dependent, too.  

Glad it's working for you now.  Gen5 is definitely a step up, that's for sure.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
HDD
Freshman

Thanks for posting the great news hollidayjr - your thread should save a lot of people a lot of time and money. Thanks to Gabe, too for the Linux info/encouragement.   Wildcats, I know what you went through since we got by on 250MB a day since 2005 until we upgraded to Gen 4 this year. At least we had saved up tokens to fall back on after the updates! Should have upgraded to Gen 4 a long time ago so won't wait any longer on the Gen 5 now that it is available in our area and all of you are having success with it.

I wasnt a fan of the Monthly usage plus the Nightly limits.  I had unlimited from 2 am - 7 am.  I was going to upgrard to Gen4 when it first came out but the plans didnt sound good to me.  I only upgraded to Gen5 mainly because the faster speeds and better speeds after using up data.

Teaching Assistant

wildcats198308 wrote:

I wasnt a fan of the Monthly usage plus the Nightly limits.  I had unlimited from 2 am - 7 am.  I was going to upgrard to Gen4 when it first came out but the plans didnt sound good to me.  I only upgraded to Gen5 mainly because the faster speeds and better speeds after using up data.

Took me a while to decide to go to Gen 4 (I didn't want to go to monthly and didn't think I would like the limits, plus I also didn't want to lose the unlimited 2-7 use) but I was very happy I did. I realized I can totally budget the monthly limits and that the bonus zone was way better than the unlimited but oh-so-slow free zone.

When Gen 5 came along I not to wait  to get it, and I'm glad I upgraded. Smiley Happy

My second month of Gen5 just started yesterday and I am not really liking the monthly limits.  With having kids under 17 here usage gets used fast... If the data is there they will use it, and dont realize or understand how much is being used and how much should be getting used.  At least the speeds are decent after going over the monthly usage.  In just 1 and a half days I am already down to 88% (2.4 GB / 20 GB) Anytime and 92% (4.2 GB / 50 GB) Bonus.  My nephews Playstation must still have alot of updates that are being downloaded.   I still dont like the 50 GB 2-8 usage,  with as many devices and all that will be used in no time.  I dont see any reason to upgrade to the 30 GB plan being the Bonus data is still only 50 GB.  I feel the Bonus data should go up with each plan.  10 GB plan should have 50 GB bonus,  20 GB should be around 75,  30 GB should be 75-100 GB.