specifically-slower YT download speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
udanwudeligv
Junior

specifically-slower YT download speeds

Things are getting slower and slower here and I'm trying to figure out what's going on. 
Over the last 6 years I have, VERY frequently, gotten up early and downloaded videos off of youtube, during Bonus time, to watch later. Frequently I would be able to download 10-15 one hour videos at 360 or 480dpi in the last hour of BB time. 

NOW, using one or the other of the same 2 programs BOTH are giving me like 52 min to download a 284MB video. I'm not good at math but even I can see that's a ridiculously slow speed. At advertised max it should take 18.93 seconds. I'd settle for 18 minutes!  (It's 9:15 am and I'm trying again, it's down to 39 mintues for a 284mb file). 

But here's the thing-when I did a speed test this AM, it showed 34.4 mbps down, 2.14 up was speed test. That’s GREAT! 
When I downloaded something from iTunes it took 3 minutes. That's great! 
But the reason I don't think this is a youtube problem is that when I drive 1/2 hour to the local coffee shop, things download in seconds from youtube. 
I don't think it's the programs I'm using (not browsers)...so is it Youtube, Hughesnet or a combination? 
If I can't download things during BB time anymore, I might as well stop paying $100+ a month and drive to the coffee shop every day. It would be cheaper. 

For reference I'm on a Mac with El Capitan 10.11.6, -all Java, Flash and software updated, and on HN I'm on EchoStar-17-NAD (I'm in one of those rare places where the new sat. doesn't reach, lucky me!) on Beam 27, but I don't know how to check my signal strength. 

To reiterate-it doesn't seem to be ALL downloads, just Youtube...Help!! 

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MarkJFine
Professor

Welcome from another Mac user.

If it's just YouTube, it's possible it could be an upstream problem with HughesNet's provider (Level3, Qwest, or other) or it just could be DNS-related routing problem. Rebooting everything (modem, router and computer) and see if it shakes loose.

If it persists after that, you might want to open a terminal window and type "traceroute youtube.com" to see where the possible roadblock is.

Edit: Just another thought, you might want to try different combinations of turning the Video Data Saver and Web Acceleration on and off and see if that makes a difference as well.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeah, this sounds like a Video Data Saver thing...  Hughesnet will automatically throttle speeds to various streaming sites to help force SD playback to save users data.  You can disable this feature.

You can view more information including how to disable the Video Data Saver option here: Video Data Saver FAQ

It's a fairly new feature that was introduced with Gen5 service plans, but, Gen4 plans have also been upgraded to include the Video Data Saver feature in the last month or two.

C0RR0SIVE, ah that makes perfect sense then and YES, thanks to you both, that worked like a charm!  I rebooted and turned off the video saver button. 

6 REPLIES 6
MarkJFine
Professor

Welcome from another Mac user.

If it's just YouTube, it's possible it could be an upstream problem with HughesNet's provider (Level3, Qwest, or other) or it just could be DNS-related routing problem. Rebooting everything (modem, router and computer) and see if it shakes loose.

If it persists after that, you might want to open a terminal window and type "traceroute youtube.com" to see where the possible roadblock is.

Edit: Just another thought, you might want to try different combinations of turning the Video Data Saver and Web Acceleration on and off and see if that makes a difference as well.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeah, this sounds like a Video Data Saver thing...  Hughesnet will automatically throttle speeds to various streaming sites to help force SD playback to save users data.  You can disable this feature.

You can view more information including how to disable the Video Data Saver option here: Video Data Saver FAQ

udanwudeligv
Junior

Thanks. I will definitely try rebooting everything early in the AM and also turning off the Video Data Saver...
If those don't work, it might take me a bit to understand the rest of what  said but hopefully some of this will work...
Is this fairly NEW? Because this has gotten a lot worse in the last month or so...

Thanks again. 

It's a fairly new feature that was introduced with Gen5 service plans, but, Gen4 plans have also been upgraded to include the Video Data Saver feature in the last month or two.

C0RR0SIVE, ah that makes perfect sense then and YES, thanks to you both, that worked like a charm!  I rebooted and turned off the video saver button. 

Love it when things work. 👍🏼