Daily totals from usage graph do not match service plan data graph

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennga
Freshman

Daily totals from usage graph do not match service plan data graph

If I total up daily usage according to the usage history graph I have used 5.8584G so far this billy cycle.  When I look at the service plan data graph it is reporting my usage as 11.3G.  I don't understand why the discrepancy?

20 REPLIES 20
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Could you post screenshots?

09092020.JPG09082020.JPG09072020.JPG09062020.JPG09052020.JPG09042020.JPG09032020.JPGService Plan.JPG

Simple answer is that the Down and Up totals on the right aren't correct. If you believe the usage on the 6th (a Sunday), it almost looks as if you had the modem disconnected for most of the day. Statistically speaking, Sundays see the heaviest use.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Most likely because we werent home on Sunday- I believe the up down are and I spot checked them here http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/frmUsage.cfm based on another post.

maratsade

It likely has nothing to do with you being home or not. I suggest you wait until Liz comes back with a response for you. 

jennga wrote:

Most likely because we werent home on Sunday- I believe the up down are and I spot checked them here http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/frmUsage.cfm based on another post.

GabeU

@jennga wrote:

That web page may very well be missing information, including hours in which the service was used, and the data used during those hours.  It can't be relied on to be accurate for Gen5, or even the Gen4 monthly refill plans, if I'm not mistaken, which is why it's no longer recommended as a site to use for monitoring data usage for those services. 

It's primarily for those on legacy plans.

GabeU

@Liz @Damian @Remy 

I think the graph might be "glitching" again.  My daily breakdown isn't matching the running total either, though from my own usage habits I know that the running total is the correct one.  Plus, the running total matches my Glasswire, or at least does for the most part, as I also update my phone, which Glasswire doesn't count.

Hi jennga,

Thank you again for your patience while this is being investigated. Our engineers are going to work on resolving this discrepancy in the total usage sums between the historical and donut graphs. I don't have an ETA on when this will be addressed, so in the meantime, I suggest relying on the donut graph, and for more detailed tracking, you could also try what Gabe mentioned, GlassWire.

Your post has mobilized a lot of folks over here to address this, so thank you for bringing this to our attention so we can make these tools work for you!

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz-

Appreciate the reply.  I have been monitoring using Glasswire, still think the cumulative is high based on what I see with the usage.  The only thing we have connected to the network are our computers.  Phones are not connected, we are not big streamers, and if we do we stream through our phone data plan not internet connection.

maratsade

Have you installed Glassware on all your computers?  Glassware only measures what's used by the device it's installed on.

GabeU

@jennga 

Make sure to set your Glasswire options to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  The former so it tallies both download and upload and the latter so it tallies only the data going through the network adapter (External (i.e. HughesNet)) rather than including data that's being transferred back and forth internally (Local).  

Screenshot (103).png

So far between the 2 computers looks like our usage is 1.1-1.4G on a weekday and less than 157MB on the weekends. 

GabeU

@jennga 

Just in case, and for the sake of redundancy, on this modem page you can see all currently connected devices, as well as those that were connected, but are no longer (Currently Disconnected Devices).  The disconnected device list is only since the last time the modem was plugged in, as the logs are cleared when the modem loses power.  The page shows both WiFi and LAN cable connected devices.  

This info can help if there is or was a device connected that, for whatever reason, has been overlooked or forgotten about.

I am seeing the same miss-match between plan usage, and the daily total of upload and download.

The miss match started on 19 Aug 2020, and has persisted since then.

I called the contact phone line (866-347-3292) on 9 Sept. and reviewed the daily upload and download data from 21 Aug to 8 Sept, and the values reported to me over the phone matched the daily usage values from the upper right corner of the graph, but not the plan usage from the graph.

I called again on 21 Sept, and received a revised set of daily usage numbers that were different than the ones reported for 21 Aug to 8 Sept, but still do not match the plan usage.

The numbers through today still do not match. The plan usage is running down about 2X as fast as the daily upload and download values indicate.

Since these numbers do not match, I am wondering which to believe, and if either or neither of the plan usage or the daily upload and download values are accurate.

maratsade

To get help for your issue you will need to start your own ticket. Go to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/myAccount-and-Billing/bd-p/AccountandBilling and click "Start a topic." You can copy what you posted here and paste it there.  If you don't wish to do that, you will need to continue working with the phone reps.  

Woodbear wrote:

I am seeing the same miss-match between plan usage, and the daily total of upload and download.

The miss match started on 19 Aug 2020, and has persisted since then.

I called the contact phone line (866-347-3292) on 9 Sept. and reviewed the daily upload and download data from 21 Aug to 8 Sept, and the values reported to me over the phone matched the daily usage values from the upper right corner of the graph, but not the plan usage from the graph.

I called again on 21 Sept, and received a revised set of daily usage numbers that were different than the ones reported for 21 Aug to 8 Sept, but still do not match the plan usage.

The numbers through today still do not match. The plan usage is running down about 2X as fast as the daily upload and download values indicate.

Since these numbers do not match, I am wondering which to believe, and if either or neither of the plan usage or the daily upload and download values are accurate.

GabeU

@Woodbear 

While you should still start your own topic, as maratsade instructed, as your issue may be different and/or have a different cause, for the issue being discussed in this thread one should continue to rely on the total, as the problem, or at least from what I've been able to see, appears to be with the hourly usage reporting for the usage graph daily breakdown.

Good morning folks, 

I'm going to close this thread to prevent any other pile ons. This discrepancy between the historical graphs and the donut graph has been escalated internally and is being investigated. No ETA on the fix, so in the meantime please refer to the donut graph, and consider using GlassWire for more detailed data monitoring.

If you have unidentified data usage, try these troubleshooting steps first and start your own thread: https://hninfo.us/datats

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Hi jennga,

Thanks for reaching out and posting the screenshots,this helps. I'll send this over to engineering for their insight into this. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Any word here Liz? 

Hi jennga,

Thanks for checking in! I just got off a call with our devs who are behind these graphs and they are still investigating this. They have a more narrow focus now and should have something for us tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on what I find out!

-Liz