Sales Rep Misinformation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RebekahWilson
Freshman

Sales Rep Misinformation

I read a few other posts about people who were misinformed by their sales rep in order to get them to sign up for service. Similarly, I was told that if I am streaming Netflix and Hulu every day, as well as getting on social medias, I would have plenty of data--and not run out--on a 20 GB plan. Because I knew nothing about internet data, I trusted and believed her, agreeing to a contract based on her information...and, of course, I was out of data within a week each month after the first month of unlimited data. I live alone and literally take everthing off wifi access, except for the device I am using, in order to preserve data--still running out within a week, even using the data saver feature. Is there hope to get out of this contract, without financial pentalty, due to being told I would be getting a certain service that I did not recieve? 

Please, please send this to someone who can help. I do not know who to contact who can truly help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi RebekahWilson,

Thank you for your continued patience while your call was reviewed. These are the results from the sales source:

The agent set the expectation with the customer that when the monthly data allotment was expended that the speed would slow down. The agent did not however set the proper expectation as to how much streaming could be done within the customers monthly data allotment. 

This was an agent who quit shortly after finishing training. We will make sure that the new hire groups are properly trained on setting expectations.

I do apologize that we did not properly set expectations for you during the call. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we may improve our training. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
skimouse31

satlaites is not designed for streaming data via this service. that is where fios or somaother service would be beter served

@RebekahWilson wrote:

I read a few other posts about people who were misinformed by their sales rep in order to get them to sign up for service. Similarly, I was told that if I am streaming Netflix and Hulu every day, as well as getting on social medias, I would have plenty of data--and not run out--on a 20 GB plan. Because I knew nothing about internet data, I trusted and believed her, agreeing to a contract based on her information...and, of course, I was out of data within a week each month after the first month of unlimited data. I live alone and literally take everthing off wifi access, except for the device I am using, in order to preserve data--still running out within a week, even using the data saver feature. Is there hope to get out of this contract, without financial pentalty, due to being told I would be getting a certain service that I did not recieve? 

Please, please send this to someone who can help. I do not know who to contact who can truly help.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hi RebekahWilson,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I've pulled up your account to address your concerns and we can certainly put in a request to have your sales call reviewed to determine if proper expectaions were set during the call.

While streaming is certainly possible on the HughesNet service, one should take care in managing their data allowance. Streaming in HD will use considerably more data than streaming in SD. In addition, there are plenty of other possible sources on your network that can use data without your knowledge. For more info about unidentified data usage, please check this out.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated while your sales call review request is processed.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I keep the data saver on at all times and only keep one device connected to the wifi at all times. I also have all my streaming service set to not allow video to stream anything higer than SD quality anyway...which I shouldn't have to do with the prices I pay for this internet..but I do nonetheless. I live alone, so I am able to keep tabs on what is connected. I also disable apps running in the backround/updating automatically so that the only things using the wifi are the things I indend at any given time. I can assure you that I know how to confine my data usage to just what I am doing--sceduling updates and other large downloads for bonus hours and all that jazz-even unplugging my smart TV's from the walls when not in use, turning the WIFI off computers when putting them to sleep..I don't even give guests wifi access (which makes me the worst host ever, by the way). I use up data simply because I am an average adult--the average adult streams about 35 hours of video every week. About half of that, at least, being done at home over wifi. And, of course, I've been having issues that I keep having to call for service about--I'm getting less than 15 mbps download speeds at all times (usually between 0-5)--even when I have my own data. Every once in a while, during the middle of a weekday, I'll get normal speeds. (and hughesnet support already agreed that my speeds are not just "peak time" slowness). They have thought they fixed it multiple times with my having to call back a day or two later to report the problem is back. Since the day of installation, my internet experience has been a nightmare. I've had multiple people come over and test the wifi, all concluding that though Suddenlink is "the worst," they have actually found something far worse..I've made my friends grateful for Suddenlink.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@RebekahWilson

How are your speeds with something that is directly connected to the modem via LAN cable?  

I dont have a LAN cable, I haven't wanted to spend money on something I'd be using just the one time..and I don't understand how that would give an indication of the problem with my wireless internet--checking it with wired..?

I'm sorry, But I can not be leave the average person streams 35 hours a week. That's 140 hours a month.. I don't think I steam 35 hours a year.    That's a **bleep** of a lot of streaming. 

@gokartergo24

From what I can find, Netflix believes the average adult in their late 20s and older streams about 5 hours a week.  A younger adult in their early 20's will stream 30+ hours a week.

Heck I stream content a LOT, but it doesn't average anywhere near 10 hours a week, have too many other things to do.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gokartergo24

I watch Youtube videos fairly often, but with streaming itself I've collectively done maybe 1.5 hour's worth, and most of that was helping someone check their server.  

I pretty much don't bother with streaming and have satellite TV for my viewing entertainment.  On the occasion that I did try streaming using my DirecTV Genie it worked well, but I disconnected it right afterward and shortly thereafter performed a factory reset due to the internet connection changing so much.  Even though I was no longer connected it would "remind" me to reconnect any time I performed a search of any kind.  It was driving me absolutely bonkers.  The reset got it back to normal, though I lost everything on my DVR and I had to change all the settings back to where I had them before.  Still, it was worth it to stop those constant reconnect reminders and have my search feature back to normal.         

Yep. It's the new norm for us 20-somethings and below..people using their wifi to connect to their phones/tablets...snapchat videos, instagram videos, facebook videos, hulu, netflix, youtube...I mean those are platforms that a typical young person would check every day on their home internet--especially if they don't have unlimited data on their phone plans. People don't realize how much they stream, but it tallies up when you consider all those short videos you stop and watch while scrolling through feeds, checking a dozen snapchat stories, watching a few episodes of TV on hulu each week, watching a movie or two or three on netflix each week...checking out a few videos friends send you each week..I don't have cable, so I watch all my shows via internet..I probably keep up with 10 shows each week, each about 50 minutes..I keep up with videos on youtube from my two favorite vloggers and my favorite segments from Ellen and The Tonight Show. I watch various videos on facebook that I get tagged in, messaged, or they simply show up in my feed and they look interesting. I got rid of snapchat, but I watch instagram videos every day now..which probably adds up to an hour each week. Granted, I do a lot of streaming on my cellular network..the point is that people are streaming a lot more than they realize, because they don't do it all at once. Plus I'm a typical Netflix binge-watcher..watched Strangers Things season 2 in two days, watched 13 Reasons Why straight (stayed up all night). I'm a super introvert and I live alone so it's not uncommon for me to wind down at night, and, sometimes, even sacrifice sleep for me-time with my TV. Trust me..this is extremely normal for the younger generations. Brains are evolving, as scientists are discovering, and younger brains are starting to need a lot more stimulation to function properly..within a decade, the "ADHD brain" is going to be the new normal, and people with what are now "nuerotypical brains" will be considered abnormal and needing accomodations. Crazy how humans adapt to the world around them.

...not going to get onto that debate about brains evolving, there are plenty of scientific studies that disagree with your ADHD statement.  Plenty actually link obesity and ADHD to the fact that DHT is still in the environment.

That aside, data is data.  You stated that a sales rep said 20GB would be enough, which, it is enough for an average adult that streams.  You also stated the following...

• especially if they don't have unlimited data on their phone plans.
  • Granted, I do a lot of streaming on my cellular network

That leads me to believe, that you know how much you can typically do on a connection with a certain amount of data available.  

As far as speeds are concerned, speedtests over wifi are not acceptable, as there are too many variables present that can impact wireless performance such as the following...

• Under Performing Wireless Devices
  • Poor wireless driver support from the manufacture
  • Signal interference from nearby devices, anything can cause interference, from other electronic devices in the area, to thin plywood walls.
  • Distance from device A to device B.  Closer isn't always better.

The fact is, unless one can control ALL variables at ALL times on wireless enabled devices, which they can't, then Hughesnet can not accept speedtest results using those devices.

Regarding the use of a lan cable, I may be wrong but I could swear my HT2000W came with one. Most routers do because configuring wifi using wifi is a risky endeavor to begin with. You can change a setting and completely lock yourself out.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Liz

Hi RebekahWilson,

Thank you for your continued patience while your call was reviewed. These are the results from the sales source:

The agent set the expectation with the customer that when the monthly data allotment was expended that the speed would slow down. The agent did not however set the proper expectation as to how much streaming could be done within the customers monthly data allotment. 

This was an agent who quit shortly after finishing training. We will make sure that the new hire groups are properly trained on setting expectations.

I do apologize that we did not properly set expectations for you during the call. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we may improve our training. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.