Hughesnet Community

Speeds were horribly misrepresented. Network traffic makes 25Mbps as promised a joke!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Njustice321
Spectator

Speeds were horribly misrepresented. Network traffic makes 25Mbps as promised a joke!

I have had Gen 5 since Aug, 2018 and it has been awful the entire time.  I've had tech support on-site at my home to trouble shoot and one time they got 12Mbps for a few seconds and said that is as good as it gets and they stated the HughesNet is not truthful with customers about what to expect. 

HughesNet tried to get me to pay $125 for the tech call to which I refused.  They finally agreed to pay for the tech call.  Now I have had it.  No time of day or night seem to impact the speeds of the service significantly.  If I have date (I know I have an alotment and I know how to check my current amount of date remaining) or if I do not it doesn't matter.  Forget streaming a video of any kind! Forget making a reliable call with the phone service!  Now they will not waive the early termination fee!

HughesNet is in breach of contract as they are not providing the service as described and advertised!  When one party breaches a contract the agreement is void.

*When I called in to cancel my service the automated voice said "hold on while we check your system".  It came back with "everything is working properly".  That is funny considering the dish is on the ground and the modem has been disconnected for over one week.  Again, they misrepresent information!

I want out and I'm not going to pay a ETF! 

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They are not in breach of contract if they can demonstrate that everything works well when they run site diagnostics. They will work with you to maximise your side of the equation before they will consider a reduction in ETF. 

Hughesnet reps on the site may require speed tests before looking into your issue, and they will require the protocol described here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Of course, a Hughesnet rep on the site may tell you different, depending on a multitude of variables. 

They haven't been able to do it and they want to bill me $125 to have a tech come out. 

maratsade

You wrote that the system tells you everything is working.  The mods here may run a diagnostic and find the same, so they may want you to troubleshoot your side of things. If they do want you to troubleshoot, you will need to follow the protocol described in the link I posted earlier.  From what I've seen here, they're happy to work with us subscribers, but we often need to do some troubleshooting on our end, especially if things look great from their end. 

The tech help you get on this site will be higher level than what you can get from chat or phone, so doing the required troubleshooting may pay off.  I suggest you read the article and follow the steps. 

Good morning Njustice321,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I see your account has already been terminated, so I'm unable to do any diagnostics on the system. Sorry to see you go before we could have worked together to address your speed concerns. Good luck with your future ISP.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@Njustice321 wrote:

That is funny considering the dish is on the ground and the modem has been disconnected for over one week.  Again, they misrepresent information! 

That's very unfortunate, as one of the things the reps will need to do before they even begin to consider anything regarding the ETF is run remote diagnostics, as well as troubleshoot your system, as alluded to by maratsade, and with the dish being "on the ground" they aren't going to be able to do that.  And it's not as simple as putting the dish back on the pole, as it needs to be precisely aimed, which you can't do.  

While I understand your anger, your rash actions in removing the dish may now cause additional problems.  

maratsade

"While I understand your anger, your rash actions in removing the dish may now cause additional problems.  "

And likely more expense as well. 

EDIT:

Unless you have purchased your Equipment from Hughes, the satellite modem, power supply, and radio (outdoor transmitter) to be installed by Hughes at your premises will remain the property of Hughes and shall not be deemed fixtures or part of your realty. You shall have no right to pledge, sell, mortgage, otherwise encumber, give away, remove, relocate, alter, or tamper with the Equipment (or any notice of our ownership thereon) at any time. Any reinstallation, return, or change in the location of the Equipment shall be performed by us at our service rates in effect at the time of such service. You are responsible for preventing the loss or destruction of all Equipment provided pursuant to this Agreement.

http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm, section 1.2

tomandkarma
Spectator

from day one i have had nothing but problems.......then when i pay with a credit card they turn it into auto pay with out authorization...and just keep taking money out of my account even though i told them to stop....had to turn off credit card...no other way....LOUSY SERVICE....I HATE THEM

maratsade

You did authorise them to charge your credit card.  It's in the subscriber agreement that you accepted when you subscribed to the service and had the equipment installed.  These are equivalent to a signature on paper, and you are legally bound by this agreement.  

1.4 METHOD OF PAYMENT.

Except where additional methods of payment are specifically required or permitted under applicable law or regulation, or where Hughes explicitly and in advance permits another method of payment, you agree that you will provide a major credit or charge card (i.e., MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover) that Hughes may charge for all Service fees or other amounts payable under this Agreement (including Early Termination Fees and Unreturned Equipment Fees). You hereby authorize automatic credit or charge card billing by Hughes for all such charges. You further agree that the charges described above will be billed to the credit or charge card that you have provided when you applied for the Service.

http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

The Hughesnet reps here on this site are always willing to look into problems and to work with subscribers to fix issues so as to hold up their part of the subscriber agreement.  You may want to start your own fresh thread under Tech Support. Just click the "Start a topic" button and explain what issues you are having with the system.  You can also pay the ETF and go, but why not try to work towards a solution first?  The reps on this site have a direct pipeline to the engineers and have often fixed or at least considerably improved issues for many subscribers. 

GabeU

@tomandkarma wrote:

from day one i have had nothing but problems.......then when i pay with a credit card they turn it into auto pay with out authorization...and just keep taking money out of my account even though i told them to stop....had to turn off credit card...no other way....LOUSY SERVICE....I HATE THEM

You can use the "View/Pay Bill Without Logging In" option on the HughesNet MyAccount site if you make manual payments.  As long as you don't tick the box to save the info for future payments you should be fine.  Been using it for a long time now.  Never had any money take out of my account, other than what I manually paid.