It's not a great picture, but...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's not a great picture, but...

I was able to catch these beauties in the side yard earlier this evening.  There were four more to the right of the area in the picture, and a slew of them in the woods, as well.  One day, a few years back, I had over a dozen of them on my lawn, with six of them being in the front.  One was so close to the house I could have reached out the window and nearly touched it.  🙂  There are perks to living in the country.  

0205181733d.jpg

70 REPLIES 70
maratsade

I don't mind ladybirds nor stinkbugs.  I don't pet them or anything, but they don't annoy me.  

maratsade

I found a ladybird in my wallet. 

@GabeU wrote:

@MarkJFine wrote:

We usually get a rash of ladybugs Aug-Dec during an Indian Summer when it hits around 70. Never this late... early?

We have quite a problem with these around here.  They make nests in your home and if you don't catch them right away they get out of hand.  These are Japanese lady bugs, too, which are an invasive species.  I hate them. 

Oh, and they apparently woke up during that stretch of warmer weather we had a few weeks ago.  Did I say I hate them?  If not, I hate them.  😛  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Jeez!  That's a new one.  They're trying to steal your money!  😛  

maratsade

It was a little odd -- I thought there was something like a button there that I had never seen before, until the "button" took flight.  And yes, I'm sure it was going for the money.

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

Jeez!  That's a new one.  They're trying to steal your money!  😛  

maratsade

It's not the weirdest thing I've found in my wallet. It once had a very weird beetle type thing in it, something I had never seen before. It took me a LONG time to find out what it was.  It was a wheel bug. VERY weird.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/O&T/shrubs/note65/Adult2.jpg

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

It's not the weirdest thing I've found in my wallet. It once had a very weird beetle type thing in it, something I had never seen before. It took me a LONG time to find out what it was.  It was a wheel bug. VERY weird.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/O&T/shrubs/note65/Adult2.jpg 

Oh, wow.   I've seen those before, but I had no clue that they bite.  Creepy looking things, that's for sure. 

I think the biggest bug I've ever seen here is one of these...

Giant Water BugGiant Water Bug

Those bite, too.   

maratsade

@GabeU, The wheel bug didn't bite me -- it just emerged from my wallet and I was mesmerized, trying to figure out what it was.  I had never seen a bug with a volume wheel on its back, LOL.  I've never seen a water bug either. How big are those things?? 

GabeU

Here's a sizable one.  I've never seen one quite this size, but close.  

Fx750JR.jpg

Edit:  I changed the picture as the one I originally had was not from the US.  A different species.  

bare65
Advanced Tutor

You all got some amazing photographs...

I'll have to dig through some of my youngest sons digital albums and see if I can post a few more for you all...

He always had a knack for photography...me, not so much, LOL

Here is another one of his pics...this one he took about 3 miles down the road from our house.

A desert tortoise

17435603013_198cea126d_z.jpg

Although I see these all around where I live, I'm always in awe at how truly magnificent they are.

As you can see, they are easily camoflagued when attempting to cross the paved sections of roads out here, and often get run over.

New road signs were put in place out this way to help warn motorists of possible tortoise crossing the roads..

Untitled.png

maratsade

@bare65, how big are those tortoises?  Turtles and tortoises are amazing.  There are a lot of turtles in my area, and I've been known to stop the car to pick one off the road and take it across,as some people drive over them on purpose.

@bare65 wrote:

You all got some amazing photographs...

I'll have to dig through some of my youngest sons digital albums and see if I can post a few more for you all...

He always had a knack for photography...me, not so much, LOL

Here is another one of his pics...this one he took about 3 miles down the road from our house.

A desert tortoise

17435603013_198cea126d_z.jpg

Although I see these all around where I live, I'm always in awe at how truly magnificent they are.

As you can see, they are easily camoflagued when attempting to cross the paved sections of roads out here, and often get run over.

New road signs were put in place out this way to help warn motorists of possible tortoise crossing the roads..

Untitled.png

maratsade wrote:

@bare65, how big are those tortoises?  Turtles and tortoises are amazing.  There are a lot of turtles in my area, and I've been known to stop the car to pick one off the road and take it across,as some people drive over them on purpose.

We have seen all sizes out here....

My husband will see a lot of them on the tracks when he is hyrailing and often time will stop and help a stranded tortoise off the tracks.

They will try to climb up over the rail, and will flip over onto their shells and get stuck, unable to flip themselves back over..hubby has saved a few of them in this situation.

I have also helped several on the roads out here...as they no doubt would of been crushed by passing motorist.

You have to be extremely careful though when moving a desert tortoise. Don't life it too high and always keep the tortoise level.

Believe it or not, tortoise actually store water in their bladder...thus the reason they can travel great distances without stopping for water....BUT, if you go picking up a tortoise suddenly and scare it, it will pee and lose all of that precious water it has stored for it's travels. That is almost certainly a death sentence if the tortoise cannot find a suitable water source nearby to replace the loss.

Speaking of tortoises, found this guy hiding underneath some moss once:Turtle.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@bare65,  I didn't know any of that, so now I'll be extra careful -- It's quite amazing they store water in their bladder to use to stay hydrated -- we humans can't do that at all, that stuff just wants to come out!

"You have to be extremely careful though when moving a desert tortoise. Don't life it too high and always keep the tortoise level.

Believe it or not, tortoise actually store water in their bladder...thus the reason they can travel great distances without stopping for water....BUT, if you go picking up a tortoise suddenly and scare it, it will pee and lose all of that precious water it has stored for it's travels. That is almost certainly a death sentence if the tortoise cannot find a suitable water source nearby to replace the loss."

maratsade

What.The.Fork.  You can walk that thing on a leash, @GabeU.

@GabeU wrote:

Here's a sizable one.  I've never seen one quite this size, but close.  

Fx750JR.jpg

Edit:  I changed the picture as the one I originally had was not from the US.  A different species.  

maratsade

I get ladybirds (what you call ladybugs) at the beginning of the winter. They come inside to spend the winter -- they leave when the weather's warmer. 

GabeU

@bare65 wrote:

@GabeU

Every year, around the late August and September months, we have thousands of tarantula's coming through our yard...it's their yearly migration..the males are seeking out female companionship. Horny little buggers, hahaha...

We don't see too many Ladybugs over this way...

EEK!!!!   You can keep your tarantulas.  What I get are just wolf spiders, and though somewhat large to me, they're nothing compared to those hairy buggers you get!  😛  

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU wrote:

@bare65 wrote:

@GabeU

Every year, around the late August and September months, we have thousands of tarantula's coming through our yard...it's their yearly migration..the males are seeking out female companionship. Horny little buggers, hahaha...

We don't see too many Ladybugs over this way...

EEK!!!!   You can keep your tarantulas.  What I get are just wolf spiders, and though somewhat large to me, they're nothing compared to those hairy buggers you get!  😛  

@LMAO @ Hairy buggers...

and here I thought I thought I was the only one who used the word 'bugger'...

it's funny to see other people using this word...you have me cracking up.

Have you ever heard the expression.."Cheeky wee bugger"?

hahaha... still get a chuckle at the idiots that thought "cheeky little monkey" was a racist comment.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Not exactly the wild.. but spotted this little guy a couple of months ago in the parking lot here 🙂

alvin.png

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Amanda

too cute...hoping this little guy was merely using this wheel rim as a quick rest stop on his adventures..

His name is Alvin and he's addicted to Armour-All.