It's not a great picture, but...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's not a great picture, but...

I was able to catch these beauties in the side yard earlier this evening.  There were four more to the right of the area in the picture, and a slew of them in the woods, as well.  One day, a few years back, I had over a dozen of them on my lawn, with six of them being in the front.  One was so close to the house I could have reached out the window and nearly touched it.  🙂  There are perks to living in the country.  

0205181733d.jpg

70 REPLIES 70
maratsade

"Those darn lady bugs, though.  I'll be sitting there and all of a sudden my arm will start stinging, only to look down and see one of those buggers biting me."

@GabeU, so how do you feel about ladybirds, then? LOL

I have never been bitten by one unless I pick it up. 

Love learning new anglicisms. Have to remember this one.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@MarkJFine wrote:

Love learning new anglicisms. Have to remember this one.

There's a rhyme you're supposed to recite to get the ladybird to go (maybe @GabeU could test to see if it works):

Ladybird, ladybird fly away home,Your house is on fire and your children shall burn!

@maratsade

We used to say that to doodle bugs.   LOL   Do you know what those are?  They sure are ugly.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=doodlebug&qpvt=doodle+bug&FORM=IGRE

@GabeU

Love  your pictures.  I live in the country too.  We get the deer coming in the yard and watch them and I get a few ugly things too.  More than I cared to get.  Well I could not find the photo I had of the 81 inch rat snake  LOL  I killed 2 that size and 2 half that size in 2 days.  All together I have killed 6 copperheads in the chicken house at night.  Almost stepped on one.  Sheesh!

Val

maratsade

@val_t, I haven't a clue what doodlebugs are...I checked Google and got this.  Is that a doodlebug?

The ones I saw looked like something Kahn put in Chekov's ear.

Image result for doodle bugs

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

There  you go that is a doodle bug

Well, I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyway

If it helps any Amanda,  That picture is a gazillion times bigger than what one is  🙂  

Val

For some reason that makes it worse!! You'd never see it coming! LOL

I do believe the dangerous parts you see are its backside   LOL  (whoops I stand corrected in that info)  lol

Here is some info on them.  https://www.thoughtco.com/what-are-doodlebugs-1968047

Val

bare65
Advanced Tutor

*shudder*

bare65
Advanced Tutor

They don't look nearly as cute as the ones you see in children's colouring books, LOL!

doodlebug.png

maratsade

That site suggests capturing and keeping one as a pet.  My one question here would be: WHY???

@val_t wrote:

I do believe the dangerous parts you see are its backside   LOL  (whoops I stand corrected in that info)  lol

Here is some info on them.  https://www.thoughtco.com/what-are-doodlebugs-1968047

Val

maratsade

Ditto. They could be in your hair Right.Now.

@Amanda wrote:

For some reason that makes it worse!! You'd never see it coming! LOL

maratsade

That's one handsome doodle bug, @MarkJFine. Or rather, no, no it isn't.  And yes, it does put one in mind of the Kahn ear worm.  

@MarkJFine wrote:

maratsade

You know who's missing from this thread? @C0RR0SIVE. LOL

He may be packing my order at Amazon

ROFL

Val

maratsade

@val_t, he should check there are no doodle bugs in the box, or on him.  Just to be sure.  😉

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@val_t wrote:

He may be packing my order at Amazon

I actually deal with WHD and a few other departments in the return chain. >.>

What's fun is when someone returns what is supposed to be a $1600 CPU, and they put a $200 Xeon in its place with an i9 sticker over the model number on the IHS...  Then you get to sit there flag the account, write a report, and forward it to someone higher up...  No need to say anything further. 🙂

@maratsade wrote:

@val_t, I haven't a clue what doodlebugs are...I checked Google and got this.  Is that a doodlebug?

no that is a roly poly or sow bug .... not sure if that is the scientific name LOL 

I put a link on that post.  was looking for another pic to add when you posted.

Val