cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Why not just fly up there and fix it?

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-05-24-goes-17-critical-cooling-issue-noaa

Hey, easy in all the movies, maybe someday. At least the now dead Space Shuttle made it possible for a while. We are regressing when it comes to technology IMO. Hopefully just a pause, I know private companies are trying hard to keep us first in space. 

Space exploration and technology pushes us forward as humans IMO. I know we have plenty of problems now right here, just like we did when Megellan and Columbus explored the planet and spent large amounts of capital. We need to push forward and outward regardless the things pulling us back.

20 REPLIES 20
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Love the title.  🙂 

Hughes' direct competition is having a little issue with their new satellite, as well.  Antenna problems, evidently.  Maybe after flying up and fixing that one they can swing by and fix the antennas on this one.  LOL.  The real question is, who's gonna spring for the extra gas?  😛  

maratsade

"The real question is, who's gonna spring for the extra gas?"

Well, it's not going to be the Romulans, that's for sure.  It's a Federation issue.

In some ways this reminds me of the recent movie "Geostorm" where an LEO constellation that controls the weather goes a little...crazy 🙂 But... there is such thing as interplanetary internet, which is already in the works: https://futurism.com/new-tech-installed-on-the-iss-set-to-form-solar-system-wide-internet/https://futurism.com/new-tech-installed-on-the-iss-set-to-form-solar-system-wide-internet/

I thought it was fun, but I am a disaster movie fan and for one welcome our satellite overlords. I just watched The Cloverfield Paradox last night. If you are into the Cloververse, space-alien-timey-wimey type stuff and not too picky about plot holes... you'll enjoy it 🙂 

GabeU

I have Geostorm set to record on Cinemax on Friday.  Saw the preview for it a couple of days ago and it looked interesting.  

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is "Blade Runner 2049" on Saturday.  I LOVE Blade Runner.  

I like Cloverfield.  I'm waiting to see a direct sequel, though I've read that 10 Cloverfield Lane is supposed to be really good.  

@maratsade I'd leave the planet, literally.

@GabeU I watched it thinking it would be 'meh' but it really picks up!

GabeU

Well, I finally watched Geostorm.  It was enjoyable.  

I did laugh a lot, though, as I think it's quite possibly the most egregious movie I've ever seen when it comes to the laws of physics evidently not applying.  

@MarkJFine @maratsade @GabeU, @Amanda @BirdDog

I remember watching an episode of "The Six Million Dollar Man" back in college, circa 1979, where Austin needed to get the bad guys, but they were taking off in a helicopter. So Col. Steve Austin jumps way into the air and grabs ahold of one of the runners. THEN he does a sort of pull-up, essentially bringing down the copter by virtue of his bionic biceps--using strength rather than mass to bring it down. Now THAT is some pretty amazing circumvention of the laws of physics!

The movie "The Day After Tomorrow" has some pretty agregious climate change science as well as some breaking of the laws of physics. But it also has Dennis Quaid, so who cares?

@MarkJFine, I've got all ten seasons of Stargate SG-1 (no questionable science there, lol!) on Amazon Prime. I'm about to download them all onto an extra hard drive I have, as soon as I can locate it in my tornado otherwise known as my office, haha! BUT I was going to say, read the reviews because there are apparently two outfits putting out the discs and one definitely gets far better reviews than the other!

@debbie.jean.bro

I have. One of those has some regurgitated version of Season 8 that El Rey Network used to broadcast with. It was converted from 3:2 aspect to widescreen as zoomed in, but the synching and framerate was totally messed up.

Thinking that may be the last season it was in syndication before it went to SciFi (or, SyFy) - or was it Showtime... I forget which came first.

And now, admittedly, I am showing that I know way too much about this subject. 🤪

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Comet TV (OTA) plays a lot of the SG series. Even though I'm a sci-fi junkie can still only watch the same episodes so many times. Sure wish one of the broadcast stations would come out with a good new sci-fi series but afraid those days may be gone.

Yup. Last I saw they had SG1 and Universe. El Rey has SG1 and Atlantis.

Went through SG1 a few times, am now going through Atlantis although I missed the first one by a few days.

Universe was kind of ok for what it was, and I'm a huge fan of Ming-Na, but there was something about that show that was just too different - even boring at times. I mean, where was the gate travel? Think they tried to be too like SyFy's rehashed version of Battlestar Galatica.

Also, anything shot with a 'nervous camera' style just makes me nauseous after a while. Never understood why that was considered fashionable.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine, I believe the other complaint is that one compressed the video too much in order to get the series onto fewer discs.

@debbie.jean.bro

Yup. Saw that too.

am programming for repeats of both of these... just to compete with my DVR that's full of SG-1s from El Rey Network (I should just buy the compendium on Amazon).

maratsade

I can imagine the complaints...... 

"I just got SolarSysNet and the agent told me I'd be able to stream NetflixOffPlanet without a problem, but they LIED." 

"Where did my data go??  I just watched a couple of shows on HuluMars and now all my data is gone! What a ripoff!"

@Amanda wrote:

In some ways this reminds me of the recent movie "Geostorm" where an LEO constellation that controls the weather goes a little...crazy 🙂 But... there is such thing as interplanetary internet, which is already in the works: https://futurism.com/new-tech-installed-on-the-iss-set-to-form-solar-system-wide-internet/https://futurism.com/new-tech-installed-on-the-iss-set-to-form-solar-system-wide-internet/

alfresco
Senior

We need to Terraform Mars. Earth is getting way too crowded and polluted.

I wonder if you could get Hughesnet on Mars? What beam would that be?

GabeU

Beam 4?  There'd be slight higher latency.  😛  

maratsade

Well said, BirdDog. 

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Amen!