Modem rebooting every few minutes

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Acrow407
Freshman

Modem rebooting every few minutes

My modem just keeps restarting over and over. I have tried to reset it, and it comes on then all the lights go out except the power light. Then after a few seconds the power light blinks red then all the lights go out, then they all come back on for a minute then it all happens again.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning Acrow407,

Thanks for the update. The folks here in the community are on the right track! Since we've ruled out the power supply, we're sending a tech over to replace the radio, check the coax, and replace that if needed. 

Your complimentary dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Tuesday, Jun 5, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #112823878 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The Hughesnet reps are off for the holiday and will be back tomorrow.  In the meantime, did you try unplugging it and leaving it be for about a minute before plugging it back in?   That has helped me when it doesn't respond to resetting.

Yes, numerous times, I left it unplugged for about an hour once.
GabeU

@Acrow407

A power light blinking red indicates overheating.  Normally, I would suggest clearing anything near it to increase air flow, but if it's still doing it even after having been unplugged for an hour it may very well be damaged. 

This is almost assuredly something the reps are going to have to help with.  As mentioned by maratsade, they're off today because of the holiday, but they'll be back tomorrow.  With this said, it can take them a day or two to reply, but they should be able to help you.  They're normally on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  

@Liz

@Amanda

@Hal

@Wade

@Jorge

Thank you, I hope to hear from them soon.

Hi Acrow407,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thanks for reaching out, I pulled up your account to check on your site, and I also can't reach your modem. I've sent you a complimentary replacement, so please expect that this week. You can use the same box to return your old modem. There should be a prepaid shipping label in the outer pouch.

Let us know how the new modem works out for you!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank you for the quick response, so much better than time on the phone. I was wondering will there be any setup involved with the new one or just plug it in and go.

You're welcome Acrow407! Nothing too complicated, just connect the new modem up and give it about 15 minutes to activate. Here's a quick start guide for the modem, which also has links to in-depth modem information. 

Ok so I installed the new modem, and it did the same thing. I tried numerous power cycles and nothing. The only difference was when i unhooked the coax cable the modem would power up and stay on, it looked normal minus the system, transmit, and receive lights were off. I checked all of the cable and connections from the modem to the dish and found no issues. Whenever the coax cable is hooked to the modem it starts resetting itself again.

Good morning Acrow407,

Thanks for the update, that's interesting. OK, so try plugging the modem directly into a wall outlet (if the modem was previously plugged into a power strip or surge protector). Let me know if there's any difference. Try a different wall outlet if there's no difference plugged into the first one.

Was there a storm or something that may have caused a power surge sometime before this rebooting issue started?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

There was no power strip. I tried 2 seperate wall outlets with the same result. There have been a couple storms but I don't remember the power going out or anything, but its possible.

Good morning Acrow407,

Thanks for the update. The folks here in the community are on the right track! Since we've ruled out the power supply, we're sending a tech over to replace the radio, check the coax, and replace that if needed. 

Your complimentary dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Tuesday, Jun 5, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #112823878 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks for all the help. The radio was shorted out. New one was installed and everything is running good. Thanks again.

Good morning Acrow407,

Thanks for letting us know how the site visit went. Glad to hear the new radio is working out for you! Please don't hesitate to drop by the community again if you have other concerns.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It appears you have a power supply, cable or dish radio problem. Time for a tech visit.

GabeU

It almost sounds like something is shorting out on the dish side, whether the radio or the cable going to it, due to it faulting once the coax is connected.  

IIt is a short.. That is what the modems do when there is a short.. Could be in the radio our the coax.  More then likely the radio..