Slow Internet Speeds on HughesNet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richknox
Sophomore

Slow Internet Speeds on HughesNet

I am opening this thread because this is the 2nd time I have had this problem.  The first was in November 2016 and it took approximately 6 months to finally get someone to come to my house to try and fix it.  I am hoping that we can bypass all the talk back and forth and have someone come and fix my Internet.  Within the last 3 or 4 weeks my speeds have plummeted to near dial-up speeds.  This is also not a time when a lot of people are on the system because it is random throughout the day and night when checked.  The last time I ended up having a new modem installed and that seemed to finally fix my speeds but I think the support rep also treated the satellite aim and maybe even a piece on the receiving dish.  Thank you for your assistance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi richknox,

I'm so happy to hear this! Thank you for coming back and updating us on the site visit. I appreciate your working with us so we can get this resolved for you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

Again, I would like to thank all that helped correct my problem.  I have a 13.6 download and a 4.8 upload speed tonight. It appears that my problem has been solved. I will accept this as the solution and close this thread. Thank you very much. 

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@richknox 

If you have some speed test results from tests you've already run at testmy.net, please post the Results page link so that the reps can view them, as they will need to see some test results to get started.  If not, please perform some tests using the protocol listed below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Liz

Good morning richknox,

Thanks for posting, could you please give me more details as to what you're experiencing? What were you having difficulty doing online?

I made an adjustment to your modem and rebooted it. Please monitor your performance and let me know if you see improvements. If not, please follow the steps above from Gabe so we can evaluate your speeds test results.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,
Thanks for helping me out. I have not had time to do any Speedtest work specifically as you requested. I have done a couple of quick tests on my iPad/iPhone and it seems to be a little better. I was running in the 0.68 range for download before and now I have seen it as high as 10 and as low as 1.16 mbps. It is hard for me to test it at anytime of except at night when the bulk of the users are on slowing it down. I will try to get some better information in the next 3-4 days. Again, thank you very much for your help.

Liz, I know this is not the perfect testing solution but it is how all of our devices are used - on the HughesNet modem WiFi. I am connected to the 2g WiFi this morning and at 5;30 am central my speeds were 1.06 and .86 download. Again I know this is not the preferred test but I do not have anything directly connected to the modem. No matter what it should be running at a much faster speed. Please give me some direction.  Thanks

GabeU

@richknox 

Do you have the ability to connect any of your devices to the modem via LAN cable?  If not, might you have a relative or friend that you could temporarily borrow a LAN cable connectible device from in order to test your base speed? 

The reason that a direct connection is requested is because it's the most basic connection there is, as well as being direct.  WiFi can add other possible problems into the mix, which makes it more difficult to discern where the problem may lie, and what may be causing it.  It's sort of like tyring to determine the cause of screen artifacts while watching something, but watching it on a monitor that is connected to a camera that is viewing the TV that's connected to the Blu Ray player. You don't really know where the problem lies, as in the Blu Ray player, the TV, the camera recording it, the monitor you're viewing it on, or even a wrongly set option on any of those components.  That's not a perfect example, but I think it probably gives you an idea of what I mean. 

I'm sure Liz will reply in regard to whether the WiFi results will be sufficient.   

Gabe,  I totally understand and will try to do this.  What I don’t really understand is what the difference will be since I am connecting my iPad to the WiFi through the Hughes modem.  I am using the HughesNet 2G or 5G WiFi networks imbedded in the modem.  If i connect a LAN cable to the modem I will still be using the modem but just through a direct cable.  To me there is really no difference.  I guess there could be a problem with the WiFi signal from the modem but if I get a difference result from the direct connect you will then tell me there is nothing wrong so where do I go then?  Just wondering what do you do with people that have nothing but WiFi connected devices?  It seems to me that most of the world now has only mobile type devices whether they be a laptop or phone type devices.  Just wondering?

GabeU

@richknox 

It's a process of elimination.  

A wired connection is the most basic, solid connection there is, and the possible causes of speed issues are relatively few in number when connected this way.      

A WiFi connection is neither solid, nor basic, and the possible causes of the issue when connected this way are increased.  Radio interference, options misconfigurations for that particular connection, range issues, a bad or weakening transmitter or receiver, etc.  The solid LAN connection eliminates all of those possibilities, as well as the variances in slowdowns that are inherent to a WiFi connection.

I have no idea whether there will be any difference, but that's not the point.  The point is to have the most basic, solid connection possible and eliminate a slew of possible WiFi related causes in one shot.  WiFi can't be relied on to be an accurate demonstration of your HughesNet speeds, whereas a direct LAN connection can.  

@richknox wrote:

I guess there could be a problem with the WiFi signal from the modem but if I get a difference result from the direct connect you will then tell me there is nothing wrong so where do I go then?   

If the speed via direct connection is fine, but it's not via WiFi, then we know the problem lies somewhere in the WiFi connection, and that's what has to be concentrated on.  So, you don't go anywhere.  You continue to troubleshoot the issue until the cause is found, then resolved.

Here's the issue:

Depending upon the protocol the wifi connects with, you may not be getting the full bandwidth capability. Plus, it adds another layer of potential problems caused by wifi protocol incompatibilities.

By connecting using the LAN cable you always get the full unrestricted bandwidth available by the modem at all times.

Bottom line: By using wifi, it's only making solving the problem more complicated.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine 

"By connecting using the LAN cable you always get the full unrestricted bandwidth available by the modem at all times."

You always word it better than I do.  

Edit:  I'm going to have to bookmark your comment so I can use it when asked this type of question in the future, as it's not an uncommon one.  Well, more like steal it and use it.  😛  

Gabe,

i dont know how how to share my results on my laptop I brought home but my user name is Rich Knox and the password is               for test my.net Speedtest.  I was able to get 456 - 531 kbps for download speed on 4 tests.  I got 1.9 Mbps on 2 upload speeds.  I will try further tests later but these are very comparable to speeds I was getting testing through my WiFi too so I don’t expect them to change appreciably. Thanks for the help.

GabeU

@richknox 

Here's your results URL...

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Rich%20Knox

Make sure to edit the password out of your post.  I would also change it.  Click on the three dots to the upper right of the post to edit it.  

Being that you have Gen5, please make sure to use the manual 25MB test size for download tests and the manual 4MB test size for upload tests, though the download tests are the more important of the two.  

There may not be any appreciable difference between tests run via the two connection methods, and in most cases I wouldn't expect there to be, but it's still necessary to run them the way requested, and for the reasons stated. 

BTW, though this has absolutely nothing to do with the problem at hand, I would make sure that your passwords are much stronger than that for sites that have any of your personal info, and different for each site.  That kind of password is easily crackable, which could have very costly consequences.  My personal preference is passwords of at least twelve characters, and with a combination of upper case and lower case letters, numbers and symbols (where allowed), and no discernible pattern.  You can never be too safe online.  

Gabe,  I just ran the 25 MB download test and it came in at 409 kbps and took about 10 minutes to run. The 4 MB upload ran at 3.0 Mbps.  Here is the link you posted for my results earlier. https://testmy.net/quickstats/Rich%20Knox

I will try to run additional tests tonight with the laptop. I am not seeing any change in speeds though. Thanks

GabeU

@richknox wrote: 

I am not seeing any change in speeds though.  

I wasn't expecting there to be any.  

Gabe, is there anything further I need to do?  Thanks

GabeU

@richknox wrote:

Gabe, is there anything further I need to do?  Thanks

If you can, I'd get a few tests in tomorrow, but other than that, you're fine.  This should give Liz the info she needs to start investigating what is going on.  

And please understand, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything.  I just want you to be able to get the help that you need in the quickest and best way possible.  And, in my opinion, this is the best place to get that help, because, unlike the phone and chat help, the reps you'll work with here are corporate based reps who not only have a lot of knowlege, but also direct access to the engineers.  🙂

The,

I ran 2 more tests tonight:

5:54 PM Central.    1.56 Mbps download and 3.14 Mbps upload

8:19 PM Central.      701 kbps download and 1.94 Mbps upload

Please let me know what is needed next. I really a-recite your help.  Thanks so much. 

Rich

GabeU

@richknox 

You probably have enough tests run.  Basically, it's now waiting for @Liz , or another rep, to respond, which should be soon.

GabeU

@richknox 

I was hoping that a rep would respond today, as with it now being the weekend, and with the holiday coming up, it's likely that you won't hear anything until at least Tuesday.  😞  

@Damian is sometimes on in the evenings.  It's possible that he may still reply.  

I'll tag the other reps, as well, just in case.  @Amanda @Jay 

Liz

Good morning richknox,

Thank you for working with Gabe and running your speed tests.  After running and reviewing your latest site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Liz and Gabe thank you for your help with my problem.  The installation technician came today and replaced the modem and the receiver thing on the dish.  I am back to speeds I expect which are in the 18-20+ range for download and 2.5 or so for upload.  I did not connect the laptop tonight but I am receiving these speeds through the modem WiFi. Y’all have been great helping with this situation and I thank you immensely for the assistance.  I am going to leave this thread open for a couple of more days before I accept the solution to make sure it continues to operate, as I am sure it will,  correctly.  Again, I appreciate your professionalism while taking care of my problem.