Slow speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trpost60
Freshman

Slow speeds

I just got off the phone with tech support and had a very unsatisfactory call. The rep was telling me she was showing download speeds to my modem of 40+Mbps, while the testmy.net speeds for me were less than 2 Mbps. My test results can be seen at  https://testmy.net/quickstats/trpost

The best results were from the upload speed test the rep had me perform. The 5/5 tests around 2pm were done via wifi, with only my computer attached to the network (as requested by the rep). All other tests were done with wifi turned off and my computer connected via ethernet cable.

If the link from the modem to the satellite is performing at spec, what could be causing the slow speeds from the modem to the computer? I started a test using a different, much older computer, but abandoned it when it was obvious that the speed was just as slow. I also ran the test using my phone, and got 723 kbps results at https://testmy.net/db/6f43bN8cU, I do not think the problem is in any of my devices.

I don't know what else I can do. The service ran great the first few weeks. I was gone 10 days, and then everything slowed down. I noticed that for the first week or so after my install my allowance was being reset on a regular basis. I only used the service for a few days after that before being gone, don't know if that could have something to do with it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I received a new phone call last week from Jessica, who had me repeat speed tests and checked on everything. She is an outstanding Rep! She found the same issue, slow speeds and promised to escalate the issue. I then received a voicemail from 4th level? support with a call back number. I just got off the phone with them and they found that it is a beam issue that is being worked on. I was offered a discount for my trouble and told that the beam issue would be fixed as soon as possible. A Tech is also being sent to my house  to repoint my dish, as I was told it is slightly misaligned.

Amanda, thank you for your help with this. I appreciate the customer service HughesNet has provided.

Tim

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To have speed issues escalated to the HN reps on this site, please follow the protocol here:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

You have already taken some speed measurements, but you may want to take more at different times of the day and over more days. 

Also, keep in mind that the can vary for many reasons (such as how many people are on a particular beam. See legal.hughesnet.com:  "Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours. In addition, when connected to the Service using Wi-Fi, the user’s experience will vary based on the proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy."

Note that the file size for upload speeds should be 4 MB (you've used 25MB)

I did the 25mb upload test under the instructions of the HughesNet customer service rep.

I am continuing to do speed tests when I can, but since I am almost out of data for the month, I am limited to running tests during the bonus period only now.

Hi trpost60,

I see, there are a couple of things from that call that are concerning, and we're going to have it addressed with the agent directly. I will add some data to your token bucket which will apply themselves automatically, bringing you back up to speed. I appreciate you working with us on troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Amanda

Amanda,

Thank you very much for the token data. I was wondering why my speed did not seem degraded at all today! 🙂 I did another speed test this afternoon, and while the speeds still seem slow at 4.7 Mbps, the test did seem to run faster than before. Please let me know if there are other things you would like me to try out, I am more than happy to assist in figuring this out. In the meantime, I will continue to run speed tests when I can.

Please note that the latest tests have been run over wifi, with no other network activity. If you would like me to run some more tests using ethernet, I can do that, but it is not very convenient to have to turn off the wifi and direct connect. I have strong wifi signal and good throughput from device to device within my house when I test the wifi network, so I do not think wifi is limiting my speed.

Tim

I received a new phone call last week from Jessica, who had me repeat speed tests and checked on everything. She is an outstanding Rep! She found the same issue, slow speeds and promised to escalate the issue. I then received a voicemail from 4th level? support with a call back number. I just got off the phone with them and they found that it is a beam issue that is being worked on. I was offered a discount for my trouble and told that the beam issue would be fixed as soon as possible. A Tech is also being sent to my house  to repoint my dish, as I was told it is slightly misaligned.

Amanda, thank you for your help with this. I appreciate the customer service HughesNet has provided.

Tim

Amanda

Hello trpost60,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I've already located your account and have begun the investigation process. These speeds you are seeing are quite low, so we definitely want to get to the root of that problem. I'll come back to you with any updates or if I need more information from you. In the meantime, please perform a few more tests in case we need to escalate this. @maratsade has provided you the standard instructions.

Thanks.

Amanda

I am gettion only 0.4 to 0.6 Mbps.  Because I've used my data allowance I should be getting 1 to 3 Mbps.  Can anyone tell me what is going on.  I've been with Hughsnet just over a month and have to say it is the most dismal IT experience I have ever had.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Dantheman, you are posting in someone else's thread. Please start your own  thread by going to the Tech Support page again and clicking on Start a topic.    You can copy what you wrote here and paste it into that thread. 

Remember too that Hughesnet doesn't guarantee speeds -- they vary considerably depending on things such as network traffic, weather, network management, etc.  Section 1.1 of the subscriber agreement states that "Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours. In addition, when connected to the Service using Wi-Fi, the user’s experience will vary based on the proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy. "  (see http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm)

To have speed issues checked and addressed on this community, a certain protocol is required. Please read about it here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Dantheman1456 wrote:

I am gettion only 0.4 to 0.6 Mbps.  Because I've used my data allowance I should be getting 1 to 3 Mbps.  Can anyone tell me what is going on.  I've been with Hughsnet just over a month and have to say it is the most dismal IT experience I have ever had.