cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bronccat
Junior

Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Last night DL was consistently under 1 mbps, up was 2.5 to 4
This morning, DL has ranged from sub 1 to 10.

I have been on 4 chats and they just stop replying or disconnect. One rebooted modem a few times.

I have no phone here, need assistance please. Should I email?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi bronccat,

Thank you for this information. I also noticed on your account that you've reached out to our corporate office, so yes, one of our corporate representatives will be in contact with you to address your concerns. I've shared this thread with him so that he has more details on the troubleshooting attempted thus far. I'll go ahead and close out this thread, as I'm sure our rep will provide you with a resolution.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

123 REPLIES 123

OK great, also when was this download completed? Are there other downloads/sites which are loading slowly?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

10/25.  Every DL has been painful.  I had several page loads simply time out on my phone (like Redbox).

Sent 11mb file on 10/22 - took 2 minutes

And this was even when the laptop was isolated? Which sites time out on the laptop (let's focus on that device)? How long does it take before the timeout error appears?

Moving forward I'm going on the assumption this is in your Firefox browser on your isolated laptop running Win 10, so for any data provided, please be sure it was gathered in those same circumstances. If there are other connected devices, delivered speeds are shared amongst them all.

-Liz

The email was before, file DL was after. 
Page load issue was more prevalent on phone, I only encountered similar on Laptop using FB.  I generally don't do much leisure on Laptop.

Also from notes, 10/25 6mb file took a bit over a minute to send.

I'll still consider how the 48MB file took ~8 mins to download on an isolated laptop, but instead of troubleshooting that further, we can focus on a single phone if that's where you're frequently seeing issues. If you want to go that route, please let me know its details:

Which version of Android?

Which browser and version?

How long it takes to load a page on that phone?

Let me know on which network that device is connected (2.4 GHz or 5GHz)

As always, when testing a device, please isolate it. When testing a wifi device, ensure all other wifi devices have their wifi turned off. 

It would be easier to disable the wifi network that's not being used by the test device.

If possible, test when a few feet away from the HughesNet modem. 

If using the 2.4GHz network, please note any other appliances in the house (garage door opener, baby monitor, cordless phone, etc). Even though they don't connect to your wifi network, they still also use the 2.4GHz frequency and may have an effect.

-Liz

That's up to you - we can stick with laptop or do both.  Issue with phone is I have no historical data written down. 

Best recorded data I have for everything involved are the testmy results

Starting 10/25 all tests were on the isolated laptop

Prior tests were mostly on my android - and it was isolated

We turn wifi off of devices (firestick) when not in use - and my fiance keeps her wifi off

We have no neighbors within wifi range (or close)

It's only the two of us and 4 devices

There are not other electronics in the house and I am always on 5 ghz - except then I intentionally went to 2.4 ghz to test - which doesn't make a difference

Browser Firefox 82.1.1 (Build# 2015770923)

Current and last UD 10.21.20

Samsung S8+
Android version 9

To be frank (not Drebin) the testmy results are the absolute best evidence that the slow speeds are real and not a app issue on my end.
I understand what you need to make sure my HW is UTD - but beyond that, testmy tells the tale pretty accurately

Regarding the Android, the latest version is 11 so I suggest updating that. Also, the network analyzer app from Netgear provides a lot of useful insights, like whether there's any interference on the network and suggests which channel to use. On your own you can try troubleshooting your phones with that. 

Typically for troubleshooting wifi devices, our engineers suggest first switching networks to see if there's a difference (I see you've tried that), and then to also power cycle the modem and the wifi device. 

To power cycle the modem, the power cable should be disconnected from its power brick (not from the back of the modem) for at least 20 seconds before replugging. A device can just be powered down for 20 seconds before turning it back on.

First lets check on the directly connected laptop with wifi on the modem disabled so we're sure it's isolated and gather this info:

Which URLs are you testing (I suggest whichever one's you frequetly struggle with)

How long does each URL take to load?

Have you ever been able to successfully visit that URL?

When did you first notice having difficulty visiting that URL?

Have there been any changes to your system prior to your concerns?

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)

Does this happen in different browsers?

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)

What time did you test these URLs? 

Is there any difference in page load times if done at different times of day/night? I suggest checking in the morning, midday, and evening if possible.

I know this is a lot to do, but this should be enough to present to engineering if we can't pinpoint a root cause.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

Edit: More troubleshooting steps typically suggested by engineering:

Disable uPnP, any difference in load time??

Change security setting from WPA2 to WPA/WPA2 in wifi settings on the modem

Disable IPv6

-Liz

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsade wrote:

The Chrome app @GabeU mentioned was PageLoad times

Good memory, and close.  It was actually "Page load time", but it's no longer available, unfortunately.  I still have it though.  

I tried the one you linked to, and though the color coding from the most recently opened page spans all open pages, so that part can't be relied on if you have more than one browser page open, the stated load time itself is spot on.  I tried it side by side with Page load time, and the numbers were identical every time.  🙂

Edit:  The color coding bleed over may be due to the extension I use for opening new tabs as new windows.  When I set Chrome back to default, the color coding worked properly.  Still, the numbers are what's important, and they show properly regardless.

GabeU

@bronccat 

The following page load timer seems to work well with Firefox....

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/load-timer/

@Liz

$&,@,@ well my lengthy reply disappeared so I'll have to redo all of that later.

I'll say this in response to everything:

1) None of these devices have any issues anywhere else in the world except for on this network.

2) I have tried most all of this - I have even tried another wireless router

3) My phone is UTD according to my phone. Android agrees.

4) ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS IS THAT MY LAPTOP, CONNECTED VIA ETHERNET IS DL WELL BELOW 1MBPS!!!

This is ridiculous. There can't be any better proof that there is a real issue than what I have provided with the logs thus far. All of the other discussion about different devices and URLs is completely wasting my time.
maratsade

You're not a tech or a satellite communications expert; don't tell them how to run their business. They're trying to help you and all you do is bellyache about it. 

@maratsade

Kindly keep your opinion to yourself - and you certainly don't need to start telling me what to do. I'll $&,@ well express my angst at this situation and process if I so please. You are such a HN apologist.

I'd prefer that you recuse yourself from this conversation entirely after this and prior comments you've made. Don't need your static.
maratsade

And as a fellow subscriber, I don't need your ill-mannered, entitled treatment of those who are trying to help you. This is a public place and you're making a fool of yourself in front of everyone.  Kindly treat those who are trying to help you with respect. 

GabeU

@bronccat wrote:
This is ridiculous.  

What's ridiculous is that's it's taken nearly two weeks and eleven pages to even get to this point.  With the very first reply instructions were given for how to get help.  It took nearly a week before you even said "I don't have an ethernet port", which should have been your first response to that first reply, and with the interim being filled up with complaints about the phone reps and various other things. 

Then, when the tests are finally does and a rep responds to help you and asks pertinent questions to respond to the plethora of complaints you've made, you decide to start making demands of what you want and what you are willing and not willing to do, as well as making bombastic comments.  Either take the help or don't, but for you to treat the people who've tried to help you the way you are is not only ridiculously disrespectful, it's needlessly immature. 

Good luck to you.

What's ridiculous is that it's taken this long to get to a real person @Liz
Who's trying to help - because they cannot provide tech support over email or chat (when speeds are slow). GabeU you have been very helpful and I thank you for that.

As far as my bad attitude goes, others have reached out to me about the absurdity of this process.

I think it's also ridiculous that the best support they can offer is in a public forum.

No, I don't have patience for this process. My full time ISP is full of local kids who can fix things over the phone in minutes - typically because I am savvy and I do all of the basics before involving anyone.

Yes, satellite IS is more complicated - I get that - but the base logic I am saying over and over is sound.

The first issue to be dealt with is the DL performance of the ethernet connected device - and Liz said the same before. Now we're back to wifi issues with other devices?

I wish you no ill will, I know you have both tried to help (and have done so in some instances) but I feel like we are staring the root, known issue in the face and taking the loooonnnggg way around the barn.

I am not mad at Liz - I know she has to feed the engineers - but that doesn't mean I am not going to express my disgust with this process and try to stay on point.

Well @bronccat  us spectators see you get played with, made to do useless test after test, tried to get bullied by those 2(which they do to everyone) and you still have not gotten any help at all. One frustration after another for the past 2 weeks. I would suggest screenshooting all of this thread and calling the fc* and put in a formsal complaining  about the treatment you have gotten here. I am sure the federal agency that over looks companies like this would love to see how you have been treated. It is beyond ridiculous and uncalled for especially from people that do not even work for Hughes net. Shame on them and I wish you well, good luck hope they eventually help you.

maratsade

You should perhaps go back to the phone reps, then. May be more your speed. 

maratsade

The agency you mention has no jurisdiction on what customers post on a customer-to-customer site, so complaining about how others have responded to a post would go nowhere and make the complainant look ignorant and ridiculous.  Bronccat has not been mistreated; it his him who has berated and mistreated others and he has been called out for it. He continues to make a spectacle of himself in public, and continues to refuse a proper troubleshooting procedure that is intended to help him.  He's not in any way obligated to accept help, but he appears to want to have his issues resolved but insists on dictating how the reps and techs should do their jobs. Two weeks and 11 pages later, he's nowhere close to having the issue resolved, and he has only got himself to blame.  

Hi bronccat,

I've asked our engineers if they can assist in monitoring your site while under normal usage. Please let me know well in advance when you plan to be on site so that engineering can have their monitoring tools set up. 

Just go about your business as normal, and document details and timestamps for any issues that arise so that engineering can compare to their analysis.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz