treasurydirect.gov not accessable on Hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkglish
Freshman

treasurydirect.gov not accessable on Hughesnet

When I try to access treasurydirect.gov using Hughesnet I get this error. Secure Connection Failed An error occurred during a connection to www.treasurydirect.gov. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR Went to a local business and used their public wi-fi and the connection works just fine. Do I need to switch to a new ISP to access this particular site or is Hughesnet aware of the problem and working on a fix?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello all,

We've made network adjustments to account for how the Treasury Direct site is configured, so all can access the site normally without any need for workarounds. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Remy

mkglish,

Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the Community! We strongly recommend power cycling your modem by unplugging it from the power supply, and leaving it unplugged for at least a minute before reconnecting. This has resolved known treasurydirect.gov issues in the past. Please let us know if this resolves the issue! 

Thanks,

Remy

As requested I Unplugged modem, let sit for 5 minutes, plugged back in. No joy. Problem still exists. No change in error message. "Secure Connection Failed An error occurred during a connection to www.treasurydirect.gov. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR" Your help on resolving this will be appreciated. Mike Glish
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@Remy ,

I tested this and I was able to replicate Mike's issue. Power cycling the modem didn't work. I then used a proxy and the page loaded.

How would I go about using a proxy as a workaround?

Thanks for the proxy suggestion. A little time with Google and I was able to access the site for what I need using a proxy server. I do hope Hughesnet fixes this soon because it is not the long term solution I need. Again, thanks. Dear Hughesnet - It is not the target website that is having the problem but since I could access it using a proxy server it shows the problem is definitely with you. Please, pleas fix it. I don't want to have to use this workaround for long. Mike G.
maratsade

Sorry I wasn't around to reply to you, Mike, about the proxy.  I used the first thing that popped up, which was hide.me, and it worked.  If you're going to do personal/private stuff, I'd investigate proxies some more and use a quality one that has a good privacy policy (there might be a fee for the better ones). 

Glad you were able to access the page. 

I am on a Mac, the link works fine for me.

maratsade

The issue may be a beam issue or an IP issue. It's likely not an OS issue. 

@fox12 wrote:

I am on a Mac, the link works fine for me.

GabeU

I don't know if this would make a difference, but it might be worth it to try an alternate DNS, like Google's.  

Thanks for the additional work around. Your suggestion of using a proxy server has worked as my current workaround. If Hughesnet ignores the problem this will give me a reason to switch to Starlink when the snow melts.
maratsade

I don't think it's them.  As you may have seen, Fox12 can get to the site just fine, using the same ISP, so it's not an ISP issue.  @GabeU suggested changing DNS, but you may also want to try clearing the DNS in your system.  Here's the procedure:

1. Turn off all of the devices using the modem directly or via wifi (all phones, iPads, computers, etc.)

2. Unplug the modem's power from the wall socket.

3. Wait a minute, then plug the modem back in.

4. After all the lights on the modem are back on, wait an extra 5 minutes, then turn all your devices on one-by-one

5.  Try the site again.

EDIT: I ran a traceroute and the request dead ends in LA due to what appears to be a dead CenturyLink server. Changing your DNS using the procedure above may reroute the request around the dead server (which is not a HughesNet server). 

Hi folks, 

Thank you for your patience while our engineers investigate. Hughes has identified that the Treasury Direct website claims to support IPv6, but is not configured correctly. Since HughesNet does use IPv6 where possible, connection attempts are failing. Using a provider or VPN that does not support IPv6 will automatically use IPv4 and is likely to work. Hughes is working on a workaround so that customers attempting to reach this site automatically fall back to IPv4 and has alerted the website developer to the issue. Independent tests such as https://ipv6-test.com/validate.php and https://ready.chair6.net can be used to verify the web server's misconfiguration.

As maratsade pointed out, using a proxy like hide.me can be used to access the site, and alternatively you can reboot your PC to try accessing the site.

Once I have any other news to share, I'll post back.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

This problem occurred before and there are other questions about it if you search. Hughes must have fixed the problem before.  I asked about the problem in 2018 if I remember right. Now it came back on two of my computers but one works OK.  

maratsade

As Liz wrote, "Hughes has identified that the Treasury Direct website claims to support IPv6, but is not configured correctly. "

The problem is with the configuration of the Treasury Direct website.  HughesNet is working on a workaround for customers affected by the Treasury Direct website's misconfiguration issue (which is not a HughesNet issue).  Another workaround is to use a VPN to access the specific site. 

The issue may likely occur again with other websites that have a misconfiguration, and just like now, it won't be a HughesNet issue. 

@pankr003 wrote:

This problem occurred before and there are other questions about it if you search. Hughes must have fixed the problem before.  I asked about the problem in 2018 if I remember right. Now it came back on two of my computers but one works OK.  

Also, I saw a workaround to this problem by disabling Web Acceleration. My modem has Web acceleration shown as not supported so I can't try that workaround. Just an FYI. Mike Glish .

I tried the suggested power the modem off/on. No change , I am still unable to connect to treasurydirect.gov. Hughesnet appears to be ignoring fixing this problem or even acknowledging it is their problem. I'll take this inaction as their indication I should just find a new ISP. For the record here is the error message I receive. "Secure Connection Failed An error occurred during a connection to www.treasurydirect.gov. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR"
maratsade

Mike, it's not a HughesNet issue. Running a tracert shows that the problem is with a CenturyLink server in LA, not with HughesNet. When you use a VPN you bypass that server.  

Thank you for your response. Since I have no contract with CenturyLink who may be part of the problem the resolution still must lie with Hughhesnet who contracts with Centurylink. If Hughesnet has a supplier problem then it is their (Hughesnet) responsibility to get it fixed. Again thanks for the information. That may explain why once in the past weeks my connection to treasurydirect.gov worked for a single day. I'm going to guess I was switched to a different ground station which connected to an alternate Internet backbone. Always interesting to see where my "local" walmart, Lowes, Homedeport... comes up day to day as my earth station link moves about the country. I'm also guessing that the power the modem down/up can cause the assignment of earth stations to change thus "fixing" my problem until I get switched back to a earth station with the problem. Dear Hughesnet - please just fix this problem. I really don't want to have to switch ISPs.
maratsade

I hope your issue gets solved. 

Good morning folks,

Thank you for sharing your findings. I've escalated this internally to management and they have our network infrastructure team investigating. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Liz