Testmy login issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Testmy login issue

Testmy.net doesn't recognize my login.  I use my login credentials and get no errors. I'm taken to the site, but the site does not show me as being logged in.  When I run a test it runs it as though I were not logged in (digression: my speeds are slow.... the max has been around 13 -- no superfast Gen 5 here!).

I have tried a password reset request.  I send it in, get the link, reset my password to my normal password, and the site logs me in and shows me as being logged in.  If I log out and try to log in again, the same issue as before happens (the site does not see me as being logged in).  To get logged in again I have to do a password reset. This is tedious.

Using Windows 10, I've tried this on Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.  Same thing every time.

Anyone else experiencing this?

22 REPLIES 22
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I personally am not having issues aside from them not showing Hughesnet when using WAS...  Do you get any invalid password errors or anything?  Have you tried to disable WAS to see if the issue persists?

Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.

GabeU

@maratsade

I logged out, closed my browser, opened back up and signed back in.  Everything worked for me.  

If it's still having this problem, and you can at least stay signed for a one shot thing, you might want to create a post on their forums regarding the issue.  CA3LE often answers pretty quickly (I don't think he/she ever sleeps 😛 ).  

maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE,  I wasn't getting any errors at all.  I would enter the crendentials and it would take me to the home page, but I was not logged in. ETA: No difference when disabling WAS.

@GabeU,  I may post something because to make matters weirder, the whole thing works if I check "remember me."  I had never had to do that before.  I thought maybe it's a cookie-related thing, like the way I have the cookies set up, but I have nothing whatsoever blocking Edge, and the issue is the same with Edge. Weird.

GabeU

@maratsade

Well, now, that's weird.  I entered my credentials, unticked the "Remember Me" box, clicked Sign In and, after the page changed it showed me as NOT being signed in.  I then did the same, but left the "Remember Me" box ticked, and everything worked.  That's really weird.  

I'll post about this in their "General Discussion" section.

Is testmy.net recognizing Hughesnet as your provider as of late?  It isn't for me.  I'm just wondering if this issue could be related (probably not).   

maratsade

@GabeU, I'm glad you were able to replicate the error.   I guess it's them, then.  And no, it's not recognizing Hughesnet as the provider for me either. The space for the ISP is blank.   I posted in response to your post about this that it's also happening to me.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

@GabeU, I'm glad you were able to replicate the error.   I guess it's them, then.  And no, it's not recognizing Hughesnet as the provider for me either. The space for the ISP is blank.   I posted in response to your post about this that it's also happening to me.

Ah.  I looked for that specifically, but didnt see it.  On testmy's forum?  

It's a pain, as it's nice to be able to compare my speeds with other Hughesnet users.  I hope they fix it, wherever the problem lies.  

No answer on the post regarding the sign in on testmy yet, I see.  Perhaps CA3LE finally decided to take a nap.  LOL.  

maratsade

I can see my post; it's the last answer (at least right now) under your "No longer detecting my provider?" post. It says it's been posted (was in moderation for a bit). 

I see CA3LE tried a fix for the login issue but it didn't work.

GabeU

@maratsade

Ah, okay.  I see your post on the missing provider thread on testmy.net.  🙂

Even though the login issue isn't fixed yet on testmy.net, I think it's funny that, whatever CA3LE did, it's now signing into the forums instead of defaulting to the home page.  At least for me, it is.   Is it doing this for you, too?  Does it take you to the forums instead of the home page when you click on Sign In after entering your credentials?  

maratsade

" Is it doing this for you, too?  Does it take you to the forums instead of the home page when you click on Sign In after entering your credentials? "

Nope, for me it's defaulting to the home page.  How weird, though, that it's taking you to the forums directly. I hope this gets fixed, though as you may have seen, someone else posted and said s/he wasn't having a problem at all.

GabeU

@maratsade

I see now that that it's taking me to the home page, so that part, at least, is back to normal.  The log in issue still exists, though.  

It's possible that this issue is tied to us having Hughesnet.  Throughout the years with Hughesnet I've seen sites do weird things, including with log ins, that didn't happen when using an alternate ISP (namely dialup, when I would compare).

Even the Microsoft Update problem I was having last year, where, even though I had ample speed, the updates took FOREVER.  I tried McDonald's WiFi and the updates were very quick on the same notebook, even though the overall download speed was about a quarter of Hughesnet's.

I had issues with my old Paltalk account a couple of years back, too.  I could sign in, but it wouldn't allow me to alter any settings, whereas when I signed in with dialup using my folks' AOL credentials I was able to change the settings without any issue.    

So, it's possible that it's connected to us having Hughesnet.  But, what's changed to make it do what it's now doing is anyone's guess.     

maratsade

@GabeU, you're right.  I just tried logging in to Testmy using Verizon wireless, and it works just fine without me having to tick "remember me."  I wonder what changed, but at least there's a workaround, and it might go back to normal in the future. 

GabeU

@Liz

Do you know if anything has changed recently with Hughesnet that could be causing this issue, and the issue of testmy not seeing Hughesnet as a provider?  I have no idea if it's happening with everyone on Hughesnet, or just those on specific Gateways, or if it could even be tied to those with specific types of devices that have like components, or whatever else could be in common, but it's becoming clearer that it's tied to us having Hughesnet.  

But, with that said, this obviously isn't some emergency thing, or something that's all that important when compared to other things, so it's really only a general question, as I know other types of things have higher priority than something that is not much more than a minor incovenience.  I just didn't know if maybe there was a known system wide, or gateway specific, update or system change or something of the like that could have caused this to start happening.  I only became aware of the log in issue after @maratsade posted about it in this thread, but the non ISP recognition at testmy started, for me, somewhere between July 15th and July 18th, if that helps at all.  You can see it drop the ISP recognition around that time....  http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972 

We don't seem to be having much luck on testmy's own forum with either issue.  

maratsade

Thanks for posting, @GabeU.  It's certainly a curious thing.  I will run a speed test using Verizon, to see if that shows the provider. ETA:  No provider name with the Verizon test either.

Good morning Gabe,

I'm unaware of anything specific that's been changed. It's hard to tell because our network engineers are constantly maintaining the network to provide optimal service for all, and right now we just know they are testing and observing multiple gateways to address the abnormal slow speeds some of our Gen 5 customers are reporting.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

Thanks, Liz.  I knew that with all of the things that are going on there would probably be nothing that would have stuck out to you, but I figured I would ask, just in case.  And, again, in the scheme of things, this is relatively unimporant, and really nothing more than a minor inconvenience.  I see now that maratsade has done a speed test with Verizon and it didn't show that provider, either, so it's more than likely that the two things that are happening (no provider and no login) are pure coincidence, and may have nothing to do with Hughesnet, itself.  

Thanks again.  🙂  

maratsade

"I see now that maratsade has done a speed test with Verizon and it didn't show that provider"

I tried with yet another ISP, and it's the same thing.  Maybe it's a Testmy issue.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I tried with yet another ISP, and it's the same thing.  Maybe it's a Testmy issue.

According to a recent post on the testmy forum thread, it's a problem with testmy not detecting IPv6 addresses correctly.  I turned off IPv6 and Web Acceleration, which I guess utilizes IPv6 (according to the poster), and it then detected that I was on Hughesnet.  I turned everything back on, but at least the problem is now identified, or so it seems.  

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

According to a recent post on the testmy forum thread, it's a problem with testmy not detecting IPv6 addresses correctly.  I turned off IPv6 and Web Acceleration, which I guess utilizes IPv6 (according to the poster), and it then detected that I was on Hughesnet.  I turned everything back on, but at least the problem is now identified, or so it seems.  

Cool!  I hope they fix it soon.  🙂

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Still issue with Testmy.net not recogonizing any HughesNet info. Wonder what changed and which side it on?

testmy.net.JPG

maratsade

I've tried it with other ISPs (different computers, different sites, different ISPs) and they're also not recognized, so it may be an issue with Tesmy.net.