cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi going down

Highlighted
Sophomore

Wifi going down

Could someone tell me what the indicators are for a router going bad.  My wifi keep shutting down  suddenly and I don't think its the internet.  It seems to spring back to life when I wake up my wired desktop.  Appreciate your suggestions.  I did go into netgear and check for updates and all was fine.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wifi going down

Hey farmerhugh

That does sound odd! Before you go out and spend money, I believe we do still have some D-Link routers in stock here. I can send you a free router from our warehouse and see if that fixes your problem? Let me know!

Thanks
Amanda
29 REPLIES 29
Associate Professor

When you say "wifi keep shutting down" do you mean your wireless device disconnects from the wifi, then comes back when you turn on a wired machine?  Sounds like the wireless radio on the router could be dieing if that's the case.  
Sophomore

yes.  thats exactly it.  Guess i'll be buying a new one...Any suggestions??  I've seen references to the Asus.   its just us old folks so we don't need a lot of bells and whistles--probably wouldnt even know what to do with them..lol

Hey farmerhugh

That does sound odd! Before you go out and spend money, I believe we do still have some D-Link routers in stock here. I can send you a free router from our warehouse and see if that fixes your problem? Let me know!

Thanks
Amanda
Honorary Alumnus

farmerhugh,

One thing you may wish to check for each computer is the power settings for the network adaptor.

This is from Win7 but others are similar:

Sophomore

If there;s no charge that would be great.  I'm getting mighty tired of running into the other room to reset the router,  Thanks
Sophomore

Would the network adapter suddenly change.  Its been fine until about 5 days ago.  We did have a snowstorm and at first  i thought that was the cause. Sent Hugh out a few times to dust off the satille dish, but snow is no longer an issue.
Sophomore

Write a reply
Sophomore

would this b it?  this us just one laptop.  its happening to another also.
Assistant Professor

No. Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Network Adapters then click on whatever wireless adapter is installed on your computer. Should then see what Gwalk posted.