Massive outage underway

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Massive outage underway

Several gateways are out on J2, incl. ALB, SDO, SEA maybe more... just in case anyone starts a rant.
Edit: Add BOI and NLV to this.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
49 REPLIES 49

@maratsade wrote:

send heralds door to door.

"hark" Loooool.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Hark! Hughesnet is down!Hark! Hughesnet is down!

maratsade

"even if you hand that person $1000... they may still be mad."

I think the company should test this protocol and see what happens.  I volunteer for the beta test. 😉

" If I leave the phone 2nd story in the window, I slowly get emails "

That's both funny and sad.   I remember a long time ago I had to drive 1.5 miles up the road to get reception.  The one phone and data provider in the area had a service map, and my place was in a blank area on that map.  Over the years reception improved and now it's manageable, though I still have to drive 1.5 miles up the road to get more bars.   They claim I get 4G and hang on to that claim like a drowning man to a piece of drifwood. But nope, no 4G.

I'm picturing you hanging to the weather vane, TJ, slowly rotating your arm trying to get to the site to see what's going on....

I hope they build more towers in your area.

@macsociety wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

I accessed the site with my phone -- they had announced the issue in plenty of places, but it seems that they can't win and someone, somewhere will be ticked off.

Yeh, will be that case always... even if you hand that person $1000... they may still be mad. <grin>

But yeh, I would be in the mass email if possible for major outages.

Where I live, my cell service is VERY spotty.  If I leave the phone 2nd story in the window, I slowly get emails and if they sent one.... it would allow me to know there is a problem.  So my phone was in the window upstairs from 5PM PST until I went to bed around 12:30AM PST and still had not service here.  I am on the J2GIL so was out from around 5PM and on if memory serves.  Reset the modem a couple times during that until I said major problem, just go to bed. hehe.

I don't have enough cell access to do any browsing so could not visit community.  Service comes and goes for me around 1 bar to non to 3 to no service.  😉

TJ

@maratsade, I am more like this.

Smiley LOL

TJ

foilhat.jpeg

maratsade

LOL, @macsociety

So aside from increasing cell phone reception and  preventing alien control of your brain, do these also

Increase Testmy speed results?

Pick up Canadian TV and radio stations?

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

If you hear Ian McFarland on CBC Radio let me know.

maratsade

Is this the bloke who turned 80 recently?  Is he still broadcasting?

@MarkJFine wrote:

If you hear Ian McFarland on CBC Radio let me know.

Hmmm. I suppose he's up there in age now, and I don't see any obits when I search.

He used to do the news on Radio Canada International ages ago. He was a genuine radio personality and a fan favorite of shortwave listeners for decades. I met him once in the mid-'90s as he used to frequent some the East Coast listener conventions. One year someone made up "I touched Ian" buttons... you had to be there. lol

maratsade

If he's the Canadian radio guy, he turned 80 in July of 2017.   I don't know if he's still broadcasting, though.  I've seen pics of him and he looks excellent and not 80 at all.

@maratsade wrote:

LOL, @macsociety

So aside from increasing cell phone reception and  preventing alien control of your brain, do these also

Increase Testmy speed results?

Pick up Canadian TV and radio stations?

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Nope but I do see dead people now.  😉

TJ

seepeople.jpeg

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I accessed the site with my phone -- they had announced the issue in plenty of places, but it seems that they can't win and someone, somewhere will be ticked off.

That's what I did, though my tracfone is so awful about the only thing I could do, other than read posts, is click on the kudo button.  LOL.  

Because of this, I'm upgrading to an Android based, smartphone like tracfone this month.  I've had enough of my tiny screen and limited access.  Heck, my present phone doesn't even run in 3G.  It's 2.5G.  Yes...2.5G.  Ugh!  LOL.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gabe, make sure it's not super cheap with less than 8GB of storage... Even at 8GB of storage, once the default apps update, you wont have much room for others.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Gabe, make sure it's not super cheap with less than 8GB of storage... Even at 8GB of storage, once the default apps update, you wont have much room for others.

Good advice.  I'm going to make sure it has expandable storage, as well, as in a micro SD card, and at least cabable of 16GB.  

maratsade

I've had to get larger and larger storage over the years.  I'm at the max with the phone now, hoping it'll be sufficient for a while.

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

maratsade

Yeah, nowadays it does pay to have a smartphone, @GabeU🙂

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

That's what I did, though my tracfone is so awful about the only thing I could do, other than read posts, is click on the kudo button.  LOL.  

Because of this, I'm upgrading to an Android based, smartphone like tracfone this month.  I've had enough of my tiny screen and limited access.  Heck, my present phone doesn't even run in 3G.  It's 2.5G.  Yes...2.5G.  Ugh!  LOL.  

maratsade

"Heck, my present phone doesn't even run in 3G.  It's 2.5G.  Yes...2.5G."

So "run" may not be quite accurate.... "walk," or "limp" may be more appropriate.  😉

Last estimate was within the hour.
And no, it wasn’t caused by that Oklahoma touchdown, which in itself was an amazing thing to watch.

Out in central Illinois for half hour now Gen5

NE Arizona and been down about 45 minutes. We've been with them a couple years, starting with 4G and then upgraded to 5G, and this is our first outage. And where we re we have high winds and monsoon rains to mess with our dish. Disappointed but no dissatisfied.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:
Last estimate was within the hour.
And no, it wasn’t caused by that Oklahoma touchdown, which in itself was an amazing thing to watch.

So a spacecraft landed in OK?  Sorry.....I have a weird sense of humor. Smiley Tongue

Pasedena, actually. Ball was moving so fast from a flicker to a reverse to a pass it could have been taken for a UFO.